PDA

View Full Version : Starship down

tigermullet
26-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I regret to report that the Starship sank at its mooring at Jacobs Well on Friday 24th August at approximately 11am.

After being on board the boat on the mooring at Jacobs Well for three days from Tuesday, when the wild weather began, I noticed that the Starship was slightly down by the bows and listing to port when I was motoring into shore in the dinghy.

By the time that I had beached the dinghy and walked to the car park it had slipped beneath the surface. Well, almost - a bit of the superstructure was still visible.

It's a real pity and I hope that it can be salvaged. For those who do not remember or were too young at the time, the Starship was built in the early 1970's and featured in the Post magazine. I think that it was commissioned by a medical doctor but has had a few owners since then. It was shaped a bit like a whale and had a bubble canopy for the skipper who sat in a raised seat. Like a fighter jet. It was an awesome sight to see it under way at speed.

Sorry that I haven't got any photographs. The camera was packed away and I couldn't find it among the mess of other gear. Anyway it was windy and wet and the camera probably would not have fared too well.

I had been watching it ever since the wind arrived at 12noon on Tuesday and thought that it was handling the conditions very well.

Thanks to the boys in Met providing advanced warning, quite a few of the owners of moored and anchored boats were on board otherwise the damage in the mooring would have been worse. Nine or ten boats broke their moorings, dragged anchor or had to be held in place for a while with power. A couple of large boats dragged their entire mooring - block and all. There were a couple of minor collisions and some lucky escapes. Three boats ended up on the mud banks just short of the trees thanks to small high tides.

I won't be riding out the next big blow at the mooring - far better to get to a more protected anchorage and be out of the way of boats to windward.

northernblue
26-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear this mate.
I'm not familiar with the vessel, do you have an old photo you can upload?
Any idea what went wrong?, it sounds like you were lucky to get off when you did.
Good luck with refloating her.

tigermullet
26-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I have just had a proper read of my post on the Starship and see how confusion could arise. The Starship wasn't mine. I don't know the owner but he had been doing a bit of remodelling of the boat and had recently repainted it blue and white. A few months ago it had yellow stars on a green background.

I will see if I can attach a photo.

tigermullet
26-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Here goes with the pic. The Starship is in the background, right side of photo.

Shortly after the photograph was taken the yawl (centre of shot) was clipped by another boat which broke free from its mooring. The yawl was expertly handled by the owner and motored clear of the mooring to find anchorage on the other side of the channel.

on-one
27-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi tigermullet, thanks for posting this I always look for her as I go through jacobs well and would have wondered where she was.

Can you post again if you find out what they're doing with her or get any more pictures? I can remember seeing her in the early 80s and awesome is the right word, particularly as I was about 10 year old at the time - never could convince my father to buy one the same.

tigermullet
27-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi on-one, I will do that and will be back at Jacobs Well from next Monday for a few days. I hope to be able to find out how an attempt at salvage goes.