PDA

View Full Version : Anyone owned a Yammy 60hp 4st

Red_Nut
25-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey team,
does anyone have / did have a Yammy 60hp 4st carby model (2004). I am looking at one of these suckers on a 495 Stessl Tank. It is the tiller steer model, but I would be looking at changing this over to a side console shortly after purchase.

Your observations are appreciated. My boating history includes a 10ft tinny with 7.5hp, and currently a 4.2m Quinny WBD with 30hp Merc, so I know a Truck 495 with 60hp 4st will be very different.

Cheers.

Ed.

sharkymark2
25-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey my new yamaha 60 4 stroker goes on this week at a marine yard at Capalaba. Pulled in with my slightly worse for wear nautiglass and felt a bit embarrassed with all those pristine boats about; but hey I will be taking my darling out with me and dont want to risk an old motor experience. You know "o'tooles law" Got a good price and service off the guys down there.

Steve B
25-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Ed,

do you mean 495 Stessl truck?? if so. I currently have a 90hp optimax on a 5m makocraft frenzy. The 5m frenzy is EXACTLY the same boat as a stessl 495 truck, just has all the extra fancy stuff like side consoles and casting decks etc. the 90hp is JUST enough power. A 60 4stroke would be way under powered IMHO.

I previously had a 435 stessl angler (which is the EXACT replica of the 435 Stessl Truck, again with all the extra fancy stuff) I had a 60 4st Mariner on it. got about 32mph tops. Less with extra weight in it. This boat would be way lighter than a 495 truck. A mate has a 60 yammie on the exact same 435 angler. We both got same top speed racing up somerset one day!!!

These are some basic figures for you to work with. IMHO I believe you should go a bigger motor if you can afford it. They are a great boat and very solid. Check the reccommended HP rating I reckon that should be the motor to go with. I have a sneaking suspision its 75hp?? I could be wrong.

Hope this has helped

cheers steve

Red_Nut
27-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Steve - according to the specs the 495 truck is recommended to have a 60hp, which increases to a 75hp if you have a rear pod or higher transom build-up option. This hull I am looking at does not have these options, and has the 60hp already on it.

Although it is not good if the 60 is still a bit underpowered.

Cheers.

Ed.

BM
27-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Go for a test run and you will have your answer re power...

STUIE63
27-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Mate I had a 60 fourstroke yammie on a bluefin warrior tiller steer it wasn't underpowered. go for a run and see.bring two or three big mates when you go for the run.
Stuie

Steve B
27-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Ed,

Yeah your right about the 60 specs. I forgot they dont have the pod. As stuie and BM stated, take if for a run and you will get a feel if it has adequate power for your needs. I can testify for the hull though, they are great and tough.

good luck mate

steve

Matt_F
27-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Red_nut,

I am told that converting a tiller to a console control is an expensive exercise. It might pay to wiegh up the cost of a new motor. Just a thought anyway.

Cheers,
Matt.

Tracker
27-08-2007, 06:33 PM
just for fun when you go for a test run leave it off for about 10 mins and see if it starts first time.
I have a yam60 4st carb model and from the day it was born it needs 2(TWO) hits of the key to start.It went back many times but I was told to learn to live with it.
I still have it (on a 5.2 centre console) but motor update on the 650 sig went to suk.200 hp and starts first go every time.

FNQCairns
27-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I was talking to a bloke who has one of those on a 4.5 bluefin, ran some numbers through a program and I think (was a little while ago) I came to the conclusion he needed a 13p prop to push it well, that means you may need a 12p - I think the 60 is a bit undone for your new 5.0m rig in any trim but light, a 2st may pull it off but with the 60 4 it will suffer a bit for cruise speed V RPM and top end if that is important for you.

cheers fnq

strongy
27-08-2007, 07:59 PM
My mate has a 2003 60 4/st yamaha tiller on a 435 stessel angler , absolutley perfect combo and i liked his yamaha so much it swayed me to buy yamaha, his is carby model, factory prop? purrs like a kitten , angler has all the fruit and the yam pushes the 435 along fine ,but 5mtr ?? .

Tracker
27-08-2007, 08:17 PM
last trip to curtis is. the tinnie(5.2)seajay )was loaded with 10 days ice beer food tents and all the other crap that goes with a fishing trip,wind was in the 30s(over last easter) and had to use inside passage from gladstone. 60 was fitted with square wheel stainless solas and 13 fitted for fishing after arrival.
Prop these motors correctly and they are ok.
They are quite good on fuel which helps at places like curtis where there ain't no service stations handy.360lts lasted 10 days.

bugman
27-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Just ordered a new one on a 5m Brooker Discovery.

Yours might be a bit heavier but I'm hoping it will be the right match. Actually the boat is not rated for any more.

I'll be asking Solas for so prop ideas when I pick it up.

Brett

Red_Nut
28-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Team,
thanks for all this input.

I am at cross-roads with the motor size, so I think a test-drive may be the telling factor. Now it will be a matter of finding a weekend to get down south and give it a run.

Cheers.

Ed.

mjbpjk
29-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Im about to pick up my new boat on friday, its got a merc 60 efi 4st very similar to the yammy.

My mech took it for a water test today and said the boat was heaps quicker then any one expected. The boats a 489 stacer rated to a max of 60hp and he said it screamed to 45MPH in no time. Im also told i could go for another prop for more top end but that would be going to fast.

im very supprised with this result as im told most 4st dont have much punch but im dead keen to get in the new boat now.

good luck with your boat
heres mine
cheers Pete