PDA

View Full Version : DIY Lures - Any Ideas??

Mudguard 92
24-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Does anybody here make their own lures? I was having a bit of a think today about it, and what i could use to make them. The only options i came up with was metal and wood ;D Although i was thinking about using a mold to poor some sort of "cure" into (Have absoloutley no idea what, dont even know if there is such a thing!) Both metal and the "mold" idea would be the hardest i think. With wood i could just carve the shape of the lure i wanted out of a peice of wood. The hardest part i thought would be putting the bits of wire through that you use to attatch the split rings onto (dont know if you can buy them) if not then i was thinking of drilling a hole straight through the top of the lure and using doubled over wire to put all the way through until there was the right amount out the bottom and then putting a knot in the wire on top of the lure. For the bib i could just use acrylic slotted into a groove in the "mouth" of the lure and then just screw it in place??

I Dunno...Just a few ideas i came up with. Would appreciate if you know any designs or methods to make a whole lure or just one part of it ::)

Any help appreciated! - James

peterbo3
24-08-2007, 07:53 PM
James,
Suggest you "google" lure making. Plenty of info around with pics, etc.

Ausfish
24-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Here is a good start - http://www.luremaking.com/

There is also a book around called Complete Book of Tackle Making

http://www.afn.com.au/shop/img/shop/CompleteBookofTackleMaking_L.jpg

And as Peter said "Google it" heaps of info out there.

tunaticer
24-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Have a go at this link: http://www.luresonline.com.au/mouldinglures.htm

My brother has been making these as he travels around aus on a working holiday for the past 10 yrs reckons he hasnt bought a single lure since he bought the kit just takes a cast from something out of his box and changes it to suit what hes thinking of and starts a casting run.

Jack.

Murph77
24-08-2007, 10:03 PM
G'day James,
I use to make a few out of wood, pretty much the way you descibed, when I was a young fella but they were fairly amateurish. I have used the luresonline website and its a bloody good set up. It's a bit messy and fiddly as you initially set up the moulds but the finished product can be top quality. It's definately a buzz catching decent fish on lures that you've made yourself. Enjoy.

ffejsmada
25-08-2007, 01:30 PM
G'day James,
As stated previously theres heaps of info online for you to look at mate.

I can tell you though that it is a very satisfying hobby/business to get into.
I used to make and sell them a few years back and it's a great feeling catching good fish on your own homemade lure!

I've caught 30kg Dog Tooth Tuna, 35kg Wahoo right down to Aust Bass etc on the smaller lures I've made. Just target what fish you'd like to catch and build lure appropriately.

eg. For the big 300mm lure in photo built for Cato, Wreck Reef etc, I used 2mm aluminium bib material and 2mm stainless wire for eyelets. Best timber to use is White Beech I found.
PM me if you need help.
Jeff

Mudguard 92
25-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok thanks alot everyone - I googled it and found a pretty good website.

James

Mudguard 92
25-08-2007, 02:43 PM
G'day James,
As stated previously theres heaps of info online for you to look at mate.

I can tell you though that it is a very satisfying hobby/business to get into.
I used to make and sell them a few years back and it's a great feeling catching good fish on your own homemade lure!

I've caught 30kg Dog Tooth Tuna, 35kg Wahoo right down to Aust Bass etc on the smaller lures I've made. Just target what fish you'd like to catch and build lure appropriately.

eg. For the big 300mm lure in photo built for Cato, Wreck Reef etc, I used 2mm aluminium bib material and 2mm stainless wire for eyelets. Best timber to use is White Beech I found.
PM me if you need help.
Jeff
Ok thanks alot - did you make the lure in 2 seperate halves and then run the wire(for the eyelets) through the middle of the 2 halves and then araldite it? This is what it said to do on one website...although i wasnt quite sure about the eyelet bit..

Thanks - James

Horse
25-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Check out http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/index.php

It has all sorts of stuff to drool over

craig51063
27-08-2007, 08:33 AM
i quick way i make pilchard spinners is to get a desert spoon and cut of the handle and attach a treble at one end and a split ring the other . works on tailor and salmon and kingfish .of the rock beach and boat .

lie loud enough and for long enough and eventually the masses will believe you

maztez
27-08-2007, 12:27 PM
At the risk of sounding like a Ripleys Believe it or not story ....I have caught Barra in the Mary river NT using the ringpull cap from a SWAN beer stubby. These wernt the crown type caps but one with a ring pull which tore the cap in half when it was opened .We just attached a steel trace with two sets of trebles .
cheers Terry

finding_time
28-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Mudguard

Tackleunderground is a great site with VERY helpful members;) Mark Bird (thunderbird and i got a bit sick of paying upward of $40 dollars for our billfish lures so we decided to make our own, and with in a short period of time and only a few stuff ups we are now producing lures for a fraction of this price and our lures are a much better quality than many of the popular brands on the market. ( if i do say so myself;D , but alot on the market are mass produced in China and aren't really that great;) )This has lead us to now commercially producing them and hopefully building a real following amoungst the clubs:D

The comming season cannot come fast enough as catching billy on our own designs is really something we are looking foward to, anyway best of luck , i'm sure you'll be producing a good product in no time at all.!

Red Bull
28-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I am another who greatly enjoys making my own lures, and have experimented with a few different styles. My current lure making fetish is centred around poppers, but I really need a wood lathe to perfect this.

Having said that, the popper at the bottom of the picture, which is really just carved from pine with a pocket knife was eaten by a GT of gargantuan proportions, and stolen, so I must have been doing something right. :)

In the past I've also made bucktail jigs which are very effective in tropical areas, from my experience.

See below for a few examples anyway.

Cheers
RB

the_bomber
04-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Mudguard

Tackleunderground is a great site with VERY helpful members;) Mark Bird (thunderbird and i got a bit sick of paying upward of $40 dollars for our billfish lures so we decided to make our own, and with in a short period of time and only a few stuff ups we are now producing lures for a fraction of this price and our lures are a much better quality than many of the popular brands on the market. ( if i do say so myself;D , but alot on the market are mass produced in China and aren't really that great;) )This has lead us to now commercially producing them and hopefully building a real following amoungst the clubs:D

The comming season cannot come fast enough as catching billy on our own designs is really something we are looking foward to, anyway best of luck , i'm sure you'll be producing a good product in no time at all.!

I'm glad you put a photo up since I haven't seen 'em yet
Look good Ian - roll on summer!

oldboot
06-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I've been thinking about making a few lures too.

sooner or later I'll spin up a few poppers on the lathe.... there easy aparantly.

a couple of easy and crude ones that i've dredged up

take a piece of plated shower rail ( the tubular stuff) cut to length at 45 deg... driil a hole in each end.
hook in one end... lop in the other

same with stanless or crome trim of a car.

stanless cutlery can be made into a variety of lures.

one book reconed to get two lures out of a desert spoon.

I gotta try some of these

If anybody tries some of these...... report back hey.

cheers

Davemclean
07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I've made a few of my own hard bodies, and also raided the cutlery fraw fo spoons, the big spoons work best

Splash
02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I have plenty of stainlessss steel sheeting I am nto using.

How best to cut this (2mm thick) into standard shapes?

SPlash