PDA

View Full Version : bilge pump

ovakil
24-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Are you able to get a bilge pump that can run inline.Like have 2 hose ends & not a strainer on bottom,similar to a fuel pump.Hope I've explained it well.

Black_Rat
24-08-2007, 05:25 PM
"In line" pumps are available. I saw a few while looking for a new live well pump last weekend.

peterbo3
24-08-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/bilge_pumping_systems/electric_flexible_impeller_pumps/utility_puppy_2000_23920_series/iid_2518/index.htm
Jabsco have plenty. Just bring your wallet. ;D ;D ;D

cormorant
24-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Most of the normal bilge pumps do not prime unless they have the water at impeller level. Some have tails but still will not self prime so be very cautious with them.

The correct ones with inlet and outlet tails are expensive as they will self prime but the other fittings like proper strainer and large diametre hoses make them even more expensive by the time you have fitted it.. The suction side clamps have to be airtight or you lose a lot of performance. Due to the fact they are also a suction pump which will self prime it means they are a different pump with much tighter tolerences and debri can kill them fast.

You also end up with having to wire a bilge switch if you are automating it instead of buying the better pumps with the internal intergrated auto switches that aren't exposed and can't get fouled by debri.

I know everyone says there bilge is clean and has no debri so their pump will be OK but it's real use isn't day to day it is when the Sh@@#t hits the fan offshore and then there is always debri in your bilge.

finga
24-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Are you able to get a bilge pump that can run inline.Like have 2 hose ends & not a strainer on bottom,similar to a fuel pump.Hope I've explained it well.
My first question would be why would you want to have this setup??
Is it for the bilge or elsewhere like a saltwater wash down??
Horses for causes or in this case pumps for causes :)
Cheers then
Scott :)

ovakil
27-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm fed up with pod ocasionly partially filling up with water,I have looked so many times to see water is getting in even filled pod up with water with no avail,so when i go to take off just want to flick a switch to make sure no water is in pod.
thanks steve