PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Shaft Length ????

Aeon
24-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Hello chaps.

I have a 4 metre edgetracker punt and am trying to work out which bow mounted electric to buy. The 2007 Minn Kota guide recommends either the 36 or 42 inch shaft for my boat (which sits very low) but

The SP Riptide (autopilot model) only comes with a 54 inch shaft

The ST Riptide (AP/CP) only comes with a 48 inch shaft

I was leaning towards the $500 cheaper SP model, but the shaft is much longer than recommended. This will be my first electric purchase and I'm worried this will be too long..... if so, would the ST be ok? I would not be keen on shortening any shaft for fear of voiding the warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Finnatical
24-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Aeon,

Don't worry about the shaft length, better to be too long than too short. The height of the motor is adjustable so it would just mean that the head on the motor will be slightly higher than on a boat that is not as low as yours. The only possible issue will be when it is stowed as that is when its full length is lying on the gunnel. Depending on your set up this should be fine as well.

good Luck,
Jason

NAGG
27-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Hello chaps.

I have a 4 metre edgetracker punt and am trying to work out which bow mounted electric to buy. The 2007 Minn Kota guide recommends either the 36 or 42 inch shaft for my boat (which sits very low) but

The SP Riptide (autopilot model) only comes with a 54 inch shaft

The ST Riptide (AP/CP) only comes with a 48 inch shaft

I was leaning towards the $500 cheaper SP model, but the shaft is much longer than recommended. This will be my first electric purchase and I'm worried this will be too long..... if so, would the ST be ok? I would not be keen on shortening any shaft for fear of voiding the warranty.

Thanks for your help.
Aeon ..... The longer shaft is a good thing ! ..... I found myself drifting over a bommie yesterday while using the leccy to hold against the wind .......... The conditions were a bit lumpy ...... so I dropped the leccy to the maximum depth & presto ..... no prop coming out of the water8-) .. Nagg