PDA

View Full Version : Six axis pattern on a McGinn

roz
23-08-2007, 06:11 PM
I've been putting this off for ages, probably because I thought the degree of difficulty would be out of my reach.

Anyway, Dave Boyle to the rescue!!!! He came up with a script to suit this unusual blank, by that I mean it (the blank)has an hexagonal shape.

I wanted a pattern to run down each face of the blank, so obviously it had to have the right number of axis (esses...ees..what ever the plural of aixis is).

DR gave me the blank a few years ago, so I wanted to make a big effort in appreciation.

I will post more pics when I've finished building the rod.

Thanks again DR.

roz.

finga
23-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Holy snapping duck poo :o:o
Very effective Roz.
All you need now is some resin on the bugger before something untoward happens.
I bet your glad your of the female persuasion after that. I bloke would have pulled all his hair out :-/

Now where's that dryer??

Is the plural of axis axii or is it axes??
Goodo matey :D

2DKnBJ
23-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Fine piece of work Roz.Bet there were a few hours put into that one.

Cheers Dazza

DR
23-08-2007, 10:04 PM
WOW Roz:o, that is looking really nice, you have been a busy bee :D
more pics of guides & butt configuration required as well ;D

roz
23-08-2007, 10:22 PM
thanks Dazz & Scott,

The binding part was dead easy.

The really hard bit was the layout.

roz.

grave41
24-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Top stuff Roz.Your patience is awesome. Top pattern on a top blank too.You get better and better all the time. I think i"ll give up and send them all to you.
Graham

finga
24-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Question Roz...What size thread is that??

roz
24-08-2007, 11:46 PM
thanks for the compliments guys, very much appreciated.

On the down side, the colours deepend when i applied the first coat of light resin, at first I was annoyed, but now I'm warming to the effect. I've seen darker coloured wraps in the past and didn't really hold an opinion, now I have one... by default.

At the end of the day, it can all come off, but jeeeeze I hate doing that!!!

Scott I used A size gudebrod.

roz

DaveB
25-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi Roz,

Great effort that!!! Congrats on having the patience to do the wrap and to break new ground.

Was packing the threads on the hex blank more difficult? And did the pattern close OK?

Cheers
Dave

Lucky_Phill
25-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Looks good Roz. Is that the Frangipani wrap? I remember you telling about the McGinn some time ago and that who you had to get into it but was unsure of the ' script ' for a wrap.

Turned out a treat, just wondering how the resin ended up in regard to colouration of the thread.

Taking experiences from people here, I am sticking to NCP thread everytime and not using a colour preserver, just a personal thing.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers Phill

roz
25-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Roz,

Great effort that!!! Congrats on having the patience to do the wrap and to break new ground.

Was packing the threads on the hex blank more difficult? And did the pattern close OK?

Cheers
Dave

There were no difficulties packing the threads or closing the pattern, I think the edges on the blank actually made it a lot easier holding the lay-out threads in place.

The down side was marking the points for the lay-out, it was near impossible, so I did three sides and hoped the threads would cross over at the correct places, which they did.

Unfortunately, after having a look at the wrap today, I've decided to re do the whole thing...bugga.

I thought in the light of day it might look OK even though it had become darker. Not so!!!

r.

DR
25-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately, after having a look at the wrap today, I've decided to re do the whole thing...bugga.

Oh Roz, you really are addicted aren't you??:grin::grin:

(opens overcoat) psssst, i've got some good columbian thread here if you're interested;D

roz
25-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Oh Roz, you really are addicted aren't you??:grin::grin:

(opens overcoat) psssst, i've got some good columbian thread here if you're interested;D

That sounds like it's coming from one who knows, on the other hand I have yourself and Volvo to blame for the addiction.

I will PM you regarding thread.

r.

sid_fishes
25-08-2007, 07:25 PM
hey girl, how you doing, well a six sided blank better you than me. mate it looks a treat i do wish i had that much patience. just keep up the great work... cheers ian

grave41
01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Roz, I"ve got 2 more McGinns to do iff you want. Hehe!!!
Graham

roz
01-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Roz, I"ve got 2 more McGinns to do iff you want. Hehe!!!
Graham

If you want to supply the thread I might consider or do a swapsies for some cork grips.

I will be up in Bris at the end of Sept. You will be reunited with your Loomis!!!!

r.

rando
07-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Does John Mc ginn still make rods???

Many years ago I used to work for a customs agent and I was instrumental in the supply of the carbon fibre for his rods. He imported it from the UK and from memory it was aviation grade material.
I should have bought some of his blanks back then, he made the offer, but I was not a fisherman then.

roz
08-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Does John Mc ginn still make rods???

Many years ago I used to work for a customs agent and I was instrumental in the supply of the carbon fibre for his rods. He imported it from the UK and from memory it was aviation grade material.
I should have bought some of his blanks back then, he made the offer, but I was not a fisherman then.

that's something I didn't know.

I got my McGinn from DR, he would probably be able to answer your question & will if he reads this.

I've a feeling they are not produced any more.... I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong::)

r.