PDA

View Full Version : Info On The Tweed Bar Please !!!

1lastcast
23-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi all just wanting to check out the fishing of the tweed and im looking for some helpfull tips and some info on the tweed bar .

Is it a reasonalbe bar to cross ?

Is there a certain tide / wind direction you need to cross it ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

cheers Peter

samson
23-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Mate the best way out i find if the swell is running is to nose slowly up to the mouth from the southern side half of the bar as sometimes there is a little breaker inside the north wall that pops out of nowhere and time your run out but watch out for the bank 200 meters out on the south side it breaks all the way in and head out through the middle, but when the swell is really big you can have big breakers right out the back on the north side also leaving you like a piggy in the middle so time it good, but if you are coming in and its the ebb tide head right over to the northern side and come in that way as you can stay wide of the tidal flow and duck in just in front of the north wall so you only have to negotiate a small 30 odd meter section of ebb waves making it a lot easier than coming through 200 odd meters of ebbing flow which gets very sketchy.
PS mate if your going to come down trolling later in the season show a little bit of coutousy to the locals as over the years theres been a huge influx of guys coming down from up north making life hell running over lures and fish making it frustrating, just observe the way the locals set up for troll runs around the reef and do the same and everybodys happy.
Cheers samson

dunmears
23-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Monostretcho- Samson has given you some good advice. Tweed bar, like most bars must be treated with extreme caution, I am no expert on the Tweed bar but I do cross it fairly often and I find the best time to cross is on the incoming tide. Try to organise your trip so that you can go out and come back on the run in tide.I like to go out when there's very little swell, you may have to wait a few weeks or longer but it is a lot safer. I can't see the point in crossing a bar when you have to risk life and limb waiting for sets to go though and avoiding breaking waves. Just pick a day when the weather reports look good and the tides are favourable and proceed with caution as you are responsible for those friends who trust your judgement. Often if there's a big sea or swell running its not pleasent offshore anyway.