PDA

View Full Version : Blank for heavy surf/rock casting.

nigelr
22-08-2007, 03:32 PM
So many options out there I'm hoping to get some expert advice, or just anyones' opinion, for that matter!

Parameters - length - 13'-13'6"
- casting weight (bait and tackle) - 4 - 8 oz
- line - 8-15 kg
- cost - preferably < $150, (unfortunately Purglas is out!)
- blank weight - as light as possible!

My other option is strip and re-build a custom rod built on a LiveFibre Z400-10X.
This rod was built about 8 years ago to fish an Alvey, I've since changed to using threadline reels, yes, wimpy I know. While I quite like the lower reel seat posion, I'm thinking maybe the BSVLG guides, although not of overly large internal diameter, may be to tall/inappropriately spaced.
Although the rod is a bit heavy, it's a beast of a blank, heaps of power, although I get the feeling I'm too short at 5'8" to get the full benefit of it for casting.
Most probably poor casting tecnique!::)
Cheers.

rockfisho
23-08-2007, 09:31 PM
perhaps a Su 6162 or maybe a SU9156, these are the ones recommended in one of my books for land based snapper fishing. These are really heavy weight wise, im not sure if the 6162 could cast 8 oz though.

I find two ounces gives me enough distance for the fish.

If you can, visit the snyder glas factory, and ask to try out some blanks.

cheers

rockfisho

nigelr
23-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for that Rockfisho.
I'm thinking I might re-do the Z400, change and reposition the guides in line with the new guide concept, maybe cut a bit off the butt/reposition the seat, etc etc.
Just play around with it so it feels less cumbersome to cast with, I feel I'm too short/it's too long ATM.
It is a great blank, and will save buying another.
I have a lighter Live Fibre rod (factory built) that I have started to strip, I will re-do it first. That should give me the confidence to 're-model' my 'gun' rod!
Cheers and thanks for your reply.

Ausyowie
25-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Nigel,
Have you considered a Kilwell Pendulum1 blank. Whilst they're far from a lightweight blank, they will cast what you're wanting to, are about 13'6" and price in at around $150. The Kilwell 222 is another option but expect to pay a lot more. I've read a fair bit about the Pendulums and have spoken to guys that use them for distance casting comps as well as fishing for big Mulloway. Ask around, you should be able to get one.
Cheers, Ausyowie.

nigelr
25-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi Ausyowie, welcome to Ausfish.
Thanks for that mate, I'll have a look at them, they sound very good.
Cheers.