PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Boat Show

Lucky_Phill
21-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I hope to be heading into the Boat Show on Sunday 2nd Sept. As usual, I will head to the Fishing Expo site and catch our own Webby, do a talk on Moreton Bay Jew and another one on Moreton Bay options later in the day.

There will many other Ausfisher's there watching and listening as usual.

The Final weigh-in of the Bream Classic will also be held at about his time with 2 Ausfishers in the running for major prizes.

Be sure to pop into the Bush'n'Beach stand and say G'day to some local fishing personalities as well as the editor Ben Collins.

It is a great day for the whole family and a good way to catch up with a few Ausfishers.

Below is the link to the site and also a detailed program for the Sundays events at the Fishing expo.

Cheers phill

Sunday 2 September 2007

10:00 Berkley kids fishing show JasonEhrlich/JasonMedcalf

10:45 Jew from Moreton Bay Brian Webb

11:30 Tournament tips for sounder success Jason Ehrlich

12:15 Seafood preparation (Stefan Diacos) and
gourmet chef cooking (Dominique Rizzo)

1:15 Hinterland fishing at Hinze Dam Leeann Payne

2:00 Moreton Bay fishing options Brian Webb

2:45 Final weigh in-Brisbane
International Boat Show Bream Classic Bill Corten / Simon Goldsmith

3:30 Kayak fishing-basics to extreme success BLA/Stephen Tapp

4:15 Shimano/Squidgy fishing show Dave Moss

http://www.brisbaneboatshow.com.au/

PinHead
27-08-2007, 06:26 PM
heading in there Wednesday arvo/evening for a bit of a look around

Foxy4
27-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Hope to make it along also and sell some raffle tickets for Coast Guard Redcliffe as well as have a look around.

charleville
27-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I am going on Friday. In particular, I want to hear Jason Comino's lecture on Mud Island Snapper at 2pm.

Jason is an awesome fisherman and delivers excellent lectures.:)

I have learnt so much from these sorts of seminars but to some extent, I felt that the program this year has a bit of deja vu about it. Maybe I have seen too many of these shows in recent years. ;D

Great White
27-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Friday night will be the go for us, but also wanted to hear Webby on Sunday so will have to decide :-/

Hey Greg you taking the cheque book ;D ;D ;D they may close the show early if you are going on Wednesday ;)

Searaider 2
28-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Geday Guys ,
I'll be there all day Sunday & will be checking out both of Webbies talks .
See you there .

Noelm
28-08-2007, 09:04 AM
I reckon that Boat shows are just the same old stuff 'rehashed" every year, there is very little really new or interesting stuff to look forward to, and then there is the Tackle sales stands full of crap that did not sell through the shops, at normal prices anyway, only go every second or third year now, but then I go to the Sydney show, just MAYBE brisbane is different (but I doubt it)

roydsy
28-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Sadly i have to agree with you there Noelm.... I am giving it a miss this year.

AutoPilot
28-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I'll be there on Saturday selling VMR Jacob's Well Raffle Tickets.......

Cheers
Scott

B_E_N
28-08-2007, 04:04 PM
ill be there wed night and possibly another few days if i havent got anything to do, good connections = free entry

Lucky_Phill
28-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes Noel, you are on the right track there.

I go to catch up with Ausfish members and usually hang around the " Fishing Expo " area so I can heckle Webby , Bill Corten and others from the sidelines.

I have a gander at the latest from the EPA/ DPI areas and buy some raffle tickets to support the good ' marine ' causes about the area.

I have had first hand experience of prices on tackle AND outboards being more at the show than at a " store " in the previous week. Even had a chart over $2.00 dearer than the same store on the same day. !!!

Not too sure if the actual idea of the Boat Show is to sell you tackle and chandlery etc, but maybe to showcase the new boats and marine ideas. If one goes there with that in mind, then it probably isn't as bad as being disappointed in regard to prices on accessories. Although I must admit, one year there, a mate I was with got a great deal from Springwood Marine on a GPS and Sounder.

So, if you're in the market for a boat, the Boat Show will have all the models within an easy walk to compare, then after the show you may wish to do the $'s thing.

See you all there.

Phill

PinHead
28-08-2007, 06:23 PM
change of plans now..I am going solo on Wednesday and will have wife, daughter and grandson in tow on friday arvo/evening...looking for info on a new boat.

Gill
28-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I will be heading in sometime with a mate to look at sounders and hopefully get a good deal for him. I went to the tinnie and tackle show to get my sounder and found it to be a great show to haggle in price with competitors, saved heaps of dollar. Hope the boat show offers the same. Haven’t been to the boat show for years and from what I remember not much tackle for sale.

Gill

Noelm
29-08-2007, 08:00 AM
yes I agree that it is a good time to see a lot of models at the same time without driving from dealer to dealer, but in general most are the same and you will usually get as good or better price later on, one year I was after a new small outboard for the tinny, after looking at variuos brands and getting prices I was not all that impressed to learn that they were cheaper at my local dealer than the "specials" at the show, so I got it from him the next week, and he even got a better deal on a motor that was on display at the show and offered at a special rate afterwards to the first dealer who wanted it.

charleville
29-08-2007, 06:30 PM
I saw in the paper the other day that it costs $80K for a dealer to take a stand at the boat show. Gee, they have to sell a lot of stuff in a few days to make that up so it is no surprise that there are few "bargains" to be had there.

With such a cost it is probably no surprise that some dealers are staging their own seminar nights. That last one that Leisure Marine held with Nugget as the MC was fantastic. In that case all of their chandlery was discounted by 30% which made it even better and very tempting to not go home with at least something. ;D I still have the halogen light that I bought that night sitting on a table at home - must do something with it soon. ;D

They served a barbecue with real steak with sit-down tables. It was awesome. The speakers were excellent, including their own mechanic. :)

I would gladly go to a few more events like the Leisure Marine show if the various dealers across town staged them - even if say, entry was a $5 donation to VMR on the night. I too am finding boat shows a bit same-ish from year to year.

I ceased going to home shows, car shows etc many years ago because you did not see anything much different to what you saw at dealers and home display centres.

Noelm
30-08-2007, 08:08 AM
right on charlie!!

B_E_N
30-08-2007, 11:59 AM
not only does it cost to set up a stand at the tinnie tackle 3 boats wer stolen, people just drove in with a 4wd hooked it up and drove off with it!
keeping that in mind for next year, a new boat may just come in handy :)

PinHead
30-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I went yesterday..arrived at about 3pm and left at about 7.45pm..there is plenty there if you are looking at boats..if after tackle..forget it.
Great range of boats there in both Al and glass.

Lucky_Phill
30-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I am afraid I have to pull the pin on the Sunday. Apparently, it's fathers day and YES, I am supposed to do what I want to do, but......being a father is also about doing what the kids want, so be it.

There is a chance I'll head in on Saturday. But the weather looks awefully fishey this weekend.

Phill

haggis
30-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I am going to go in sunday to check out sounders . have never seen any arches on the sounder that i have now . you never know the misses might just want a bigger boat again this year ............
cheers fae haggis........................................

bait-waster
30-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi everyone!

I always read your comments about boat shows and value the feedback you provide.

I do agree with the comments that there isn’t enough tackle at the boat show and please believe me when I say it’s not from lack of trying. I would dearly love to see 10 or 15 tackle exhibitors at the Show providing quality product to the Show visitors but alas no one is putting their hand up.

We are working on some ideas to entice the tackle trade to come to the Shows.

I would like to hear your ideas as to how to fix this issue. How to get some quality tackle outlets to the Show? If your idea works, we’ll give you a Show Pass that will give you repeat entry to all our 2008 Shows – Tinnie & Tackle in April, Brisbane Int. Boat Show in August and Gold Coast Boat Show in October.

Also, B_E_N, mate, if 3 boats had been stolen at the Tinnie & Tackle Show, I would have been the first to know. Someone is yanking your chain. Otherwise, let me know the name of the retailer and I’ll call them to see why they have kept it a secret.

An esky goes missing at the Show and I hear about it for weeks!!!

Please do enjoy the Show and I will read the threads on this issue with great interest.

Cheers,
Farrokh Golchin
Marine Queensland (BIAQ)
Events & Marketing Manager.

charleville
31-08-2007, 12:27 AM
I do agree with the comments that there isn’t enough tackle at the boat show and please believe me when I say it’s not from lack of trying. I would dearly love to see 10 or 15 tackle exhibitors at the Show providing quality product to the Show visitors but alas no one is putting their hand up.

1. I am sure that I am asking the bleeding obvious here, Farrokh, but I suppose that you have asked the tackle dealers why they won't attend.

2. It seems to me that a boat show/ tackle & tinnie show etc needs to be an entertainment event otherwise why would anyone go when they can see the products any day of the week elsewhere. Entertainment at a boating and fishing show is not about strolling minstrels or dixieland bands but it is about:-

(a) a constantly renewed seminar program - how about some fresh topics to augment the usual topics such as a session on crabbing, a practical demo on making sinkers, trailer maintenance and refurbishment, whale watching in Moreton Bay for the little (and big) kids, someone from Mustad or Gamatsu to give a talk on how fish hooks are made and how they build in the balance between toughness and brittleness etc, etc etc. As it stands, I can predict what will be on the 2008 seminar program right now, I reckon.

(b) the publicised presence of experts from manufacturers for workshops/question and answer sessions. Let's get the designers and engineers who design the Stabicraft over from NZ, or the USA designers of the eTecs or Mercs or Yamahas or whatever. If all we get to speak to at the boat shows are the local dealers and their salespeople, where is the entertainment and novelty in that? The local dealers can leverage off the experts if we have them.

(c) So leveraging the concept in (b), now what about having a separate seminar program on tackle which would be totally self-funded by getting the design engineers from Shimano, or Penn, or Okuma etc to talk about the design process or manufacturing process or testing process in building their products. I would find it hard to believe that Dunphy Sports would not bend over backwards to get some Japanese expert from Shimano to give presentations followed by joint Q&A sessions with Dunphy sports or local dealers on their products for a couple of one hour sessions each day. So now we are talking about a dedicated component of the boating shows being devoted to tackle which gives the tackle industry some reason to actually be there. Would not Big W be interested in having such a session sponsoring ET as a guest speaker and a Big W fishing tackle stand there with one or two show specials? Maybe, you can arrange for one of the well known local rod builders to shift their production in part to the show for the whole time so that people can see the rods being made, perhaps with a commentary from time to time. I reiterate my point that you need to give the tackle dealers some reason for being there and having a tackle sub-program of events, demos, experts will put a focus on tackle that is not there at the moment except for the usual floggers of soft plastics doing their used car salesmen impersonations on stage. (No offence to any used car salespeople reading this but we all understand what the vernacular means. :-/ )

Hell! If you want to be really creative, you could run yabby pumping races. ;D That would be entertaining.

I reiterate my point about boating and fishing shows, car shows, truck shows, housing shows etc being about entertainment that fits the theme of the show and providing access to information and knowledge not easily available elsewhere. Ya gotta approach the event with a rock concert mindset and not just treat it like a boring old trade display.

Anyway, enough idle ramblings from me. I am just a slow talkin' country boy from western Queensland. What would I know about such things? ;D

PinHead
31-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Farrokh,

I have no problem at all with there not being tackle merchants at what is called a boat show. Tinnie and tackle show is different..different name and therefore different scope. I have no idea what a stand costs but I would guess that it is not cheap therefore a lot of product would need to be sold as well as the extra wages required to man the stand on top.

A lot of people expect a lot of cheap prices at these shows...that used to be the case when the organisers did not charge admission fees which reduces visitor numbers and also the cost of the stands for exhibitors which I have mentioned above. I go to these shows to have a look around at what is now available and generally waste a bit of time. The fishing expos could do with a bit of a revamp...nothing against the presenters as they all do a good job but some new topics, as Bruce stated, would be good.

I have a question for you...why in this city is there not more investigation into what other activities are on at the same time. eg..football codes..you may see both the Lions and Broncos playing in Brisbane on the same weekend and the next weekend there is none. You people have the boat show on and on the Saturday night is Riverfire..surely that would reduce your numbers considerably on the Saturday. I know if I was running it I would prefer to have as little competition as possible to get people through the doors.

I think the main thing is that if an exhibitor has previously exhibited and not made the sales to at least cover his expenses then good business practice says not to exhibit again. To entice more exhibitors of a desired product then perhaps something may need to be looked at regarding pricing struture for them to exhibit.

PinHead
31-08-2007, 05:02 AM
oh..did I mention a bikini girl competition??????
(I know, sexist me...but I can live with that)

sjp2
31-08-2007, 05:51 AM
yea and also get that girl in the fishing monthly platypus ad to show us how to tie a bimini twist:D(the one in the white bikini)

B_E_N
31-08-2007, 08:24 AM
i was talking to one of the qx guys that set the place up and was told 3 boats wer just driven off with mate, just heard it on the grape vine, and i believed the guy coz i know him pretty well and he doesnt dribble sh*t

SgBFish
31-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Farrokh,

I think there are 2 issues here.

1. Is that setting and pulling down and transporting all the merchandise for tackle and chandlery stands is a nightmare. I have done it.

2. The venue is a shocker.

My personal opinion was that it was a mistake to move the show from the RNA grounds and it should go back there.
Sure the RNA grounds aren’t the classy venue the Convention Centre is but the problem with the Boatshow is the venue.
The reason the Tinnie and Tackle show started was because of the failure of the Convention Centre as a venue to support the smaller exhibitors. Unless you are in the market for a large boat the Boatshow is a waste of time.
Access to the RNA grounds is easier and I suspect cheaper for the exhibitors.
Brisbane can support 2 shows a year. You would have 2 Boatshows per year where all the small exhibitors can be accommodated at the RNA grounds.

Scott

SgBFish
31-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Pinhead.

I think you are on the right track but haven’t gone far enough.
Why not double bill it with Sexpo.
I can see it know.

Him: Honey I’m just off to the boatshow for a couple of hours (that means most of the day)
Her: Boatshow, Boatshow haven’t they got that other thing on as well!!!!??????
Him: Yeh but I ‘m only interested in the boats dear…you know me…
Her: Well, you just go off then, off you go I’ll be here with the kids, but if I see you on the TV with some hoo your HISTORY!!!!!!!

Longshot
31-08-2007, 10:55 AM
How about this.

One tackle and boat accessory shop hire one of the smaller halls at the RNA, forget the convention centre it dont even rate capitol letters.

The store owner then subleases stalls within the hall to different manufacturers. There is a one way entrance to the hall and all items within the hall are for sale with a checkout on the exit door. All of the stalls are manned by reps from the various companies, and they do the selling

It worked big time in SA with one tackle shop turning over around $60,000 in goods and services in four days. He had approx 20 manufacturers or agencies there including charter operators, he even had a boat detailing company. He had top speakers on everything, from tackle and techniques to cooking and cleaning. Plus others I can't remember at the moment.

Wage cost neglible reps manning own stall. Set up costs ditto manufacturers wear that to have their brand in front of the public.

The point is was possible to get all fisherpeople to attend including non boaties, but a lot of boats were sold to first time owners and most of it was due to the tackle side of things.

A person buys a new boat every 5-10 years or so, but buying fishing gear is an ongoing thing

Leeann
31-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I know years ago there were problems with pricing wars that were obviously awesome for the public but not so good for the marine/tackle shops that were in at the Brissy Boat Show at the time. Jones Tackle -v- ##### -v- Sundown Marine is one that springs to mind from years ago. There were very competitive pricing on rods and reels (especially Shimano & Penn) with a lot being sold at under cost. You've still got to make money, pay for staff and pay for your stand. You have to sell a lot of hooks and sinkers to make those kinds of bucks! Having worked with Springwood Marine at a couple of shows I know first hand how much gear we took along and how much we sold. It wasn't an easy gig.

When it comes to the Fishing Expo i believe that Bill Corten puts together a pretty awesome team and a programme that is relevant to the majority of people attending the show. I'm a bit biased here but after participating in the Sydney Boat Show Yamaha Fishing Expo at the beginning of this month I believe that Brisbane showgoers are getting a pretty damn good lineup of presenters and topics relevant to our area.

Of course new topics are always needed and looking at this years programme Stephen Tapp from New Zealand is going to be on hand talking about targetting big fish in Kayaks. As someone looking at getting into kayaking it's one I'm not going to miss.

Also look out for the Kids Fishing clinic as the two Jason's have an awesome programme lined up. I saw a sneak preview and they've put a lot of time and effort into something that the kids will absolutely love. The "Wiggles" of fishing perhaps? Of course there are always plenty of giveaways and prizes for attendees of the clinics :)

BilgeBoy
31-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Arrghh Common you lot...get into it. Money is made round to go round ;D

We went and had a walk around for a few hours today and it was great to see what was new in the Zoo. I loved the floating pontoon designs that all lock in "Great" and there were plenty of new boats on offer to crawl over for inspiration. You can chip in $57K + ongoing for a share in a floating palace, or about $39K for a wind powered version. Heaps on new plastic shark teathing rings that you can float around on. Oh, how about the new Bow thruster virtual demo...that was great fun. Never parked a 30 footer before today!

Yeah sure the takle was a bit high in price...but some poor mug had to hall all that in there, then pay about $3K per meter for floor space. So i will forgive them a little. You could still get a free catalogue, they are giving away lures on the door in and I came home with more reading than I need. Besides all that there are plenty of shiny shoed sales man who will talk you into debt.

For the "Fully Sick" brigade, I highly recommend you have a gander at the Seado SKI/BOAT...What a piece of work. Bling Man ...Bling!

So yeah...Me and me mate from work enjoyed the show. Umm, if the boss asks...we were there doing...research!!! LOl.

Enjoy

BilgeBoy

Poodroo
31-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Sadly I had a nephew phone me yesterday because he'd won a couple of free tickets to the boat show through a competition on one of the radio stations. He was going to pick them up today and I was going to be the lucky recipient of them so I could go for free and bring a friend however the nephew phones me again today advising of a sudden onset of the flu and was unable to collect the tickets. Damn, damn, damn. Double drats. :-[:'(

Poodroo

charleville
31-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm a bit biased here

Ah Leanne, your flathead session this afternoon was very good. :)

datamile
31-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Going tomorrow (Sat) with the wife and kids.. Is it going to be manic ? Staying for riverfest and catching the train back hopefully.

Black_Rat
31-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Are there any deals going on for a 406 MHz EPIRB there :-/ best price I can find outside the show is $399 ?

Lucky_Phill
31-08-2007, 08:33 PM
399 is a bargain. worth every cent. got mine for that price from Whitworths a couple of weeks ago.

Phill

PinHead
31-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Arrghh Common you lot...get into it. Money is made round to go round ;D

We went and had a walk around for a few hours today and it was great to see what was new in the Zoo. I loved the floating pontoon designs that all lock in "Great" and there were plenty of new boats on offer to crawl over for inspiration. You can chip in $57K + ongoing for a share in a floating palace, or about $39K for a wind powered version. Heaps on new plastic shark teathing rings that you can float around on. Oh, how about the new Bow thruster virtual demo...that was great fun. Never parked a 30 footer before today!

Yeah sure the takle was a bit high in price...but some poor mug had to hall all that in there, then pay about $3K per meter for floor space. So i will forgive them a little. You could still get a free catalogue, they are giving away lures on the door in and I came home with more reading than I need. Besides all that there are plenty of shiny shoed sales man who will talk you into debt.

For the "Fully Sick" brigade, I highly recommend you have a gander at the Seado SKI/BOAT...What a piece of work. Bling Man ...Bling!

So yeah...Me and me mate from work enjoyed the show. Umm, if the boss asks...we were there doing...research!!! LOl.

Enjoy

BilgeBoy

LOL...you should try the bloody things without a bowthruster and the wind and tide against you..that certainly livens up the days activities at times.

PinHead
31-08-2007, 09:20 PM
went back again today...ran into a fellow Ausfisher there...wife now has the new boat down to one of 2..totally different boats...will go for a test run on both and see what happens...BUT..still other options in the mix from manufacturers that weren't at the show.

Stuart
31-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Drove down from the Sunshine Coast to have a gander, Cant say I was surprised things haven’t changed. Still the same old program and themes as the day it started. I hate to say it, but the boat show is so predictable it’s not even funny anymore. I didn’t realise till later what it’s lost, it just doesn’t have that fishy feel about the show like it did in the old RNA show grounds. Same speaker’s year in and year out, although Bill Corten does do a great job of keeping things moving? Some of the plate alloy boat builders at the show need to go fishing so they then know how and were to put things. The set ups on some of these boats is beyond a joke considering the coin they are asking.

I did see some nice boats and sounders can’t say much for the tackle, there wasn’t any.

Stu

bait-waster
31-08-2007, 11:20 PM
[quote=charleville;676120]1. I am sure that I am asking the bleeding obvious here, Farrokh, but I suppose that you have asked the tackle dealers why they won't attend.

Yes we have asked the and the main reason stated is that we allow discounters from Sydney and elsewhere into the Show and that it turns into a price war. Good for the punter - bad for them.

Charleville - I like your ideas mate and you never know what you'll see at the next Show.

Pinhead raised the stand cost issue:

Tinnie & Tackle 2007:
Up to 100m2 - $40/m2
100 to 200m2 - $33/m2
200m2 and up - $25/m2

Brisbane Boat Show 2007:
Up to 200m2 - $70/m2
200 to 400m2 - $65/m2
400m2 and up - $60/m2

Incidentally these are the cheapest rate at any show of nay style held at the COnvention Centre.

Free admission - lets say we make the boat show free and 100,000 people come through the door. Do you guys honestly think anyone can sell anything when their stands are flooded with people. The sales people wouldn't be able to qualify the leads properly - the real buyers will walk away in disgust becasue of lack of attention and etc, ect.

Boat Show dates - Our dates are fixed for the next 10 years at the Convention Centre. They can accommodate 9 day events with great difficulty. Riverfire on the other hand moved their dates in 2003 to coincide with us. We are trying to move to mid-Spt to get away from them but there is no guarantee they won't follow.

PinHead's comment about "if they don't make money then they won't be back" is spot on as well. We have to cap the maximum space any exhibitor can take to 800m2 otherwise some exhibitors will take 1200m2 and it will squeeze a lot of people out. We release the Show in early June and 2 to 3 weeks later the Show is sold out. It must be working for them otherwise there won't such pressure for space.

We in Queensland run the cheapest shows anywhere. I've done the research.

And B_E_N, the QX guy is yanking your chain. Had half a boat gone missing at a Show I would have been lynched. Trust me.

SgBFish talks about the hassle of setting up and pulling down. AFD and Dj's come from Sydney and Bundaberg. They bring about 20 palletts of stuff and go back with 5 or 6. They have more hassle than the local guys yet they come to every Show and they scream for more and more space. Making money is hard.

The subject of the venue comes up every now and again. The whole point of having 2 distinctly separate shows is that people can chose which one suits their needs. I concider it an achievement if the guy who exhibits car toppers and small tinnies decides that T&T is the Show for them and not attend Brisbane Boat Show, because we maket the T&T to that segement of the public that is interested in that style of boat and conversely me market the boat show to people who may buy $100k+ boats. Different Shows for different markets.

Longshot - this is exactly what we are hoping to achieve at the next T&T Show. Lets see if we have any takers!!

Hi Leeaan! I agree with everything Leeanne says.;)

I've tried to explain most of the issues raised as best as I can.

A quick report on the Show - visitor numbes are down from last year, yet the sales on the floor are far better than 2006. Go figure!

In 2006, 460 boats got sold at the Show and in the month of September as a result of the Show. Lets see what happens this year.

I hope the above shines some light and why we do what we do.

Enjoy the Show.

Cheers,
Farrokh.

kind_cir
01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Went to the show Fri and was sitting in on the deepwater plastics talk and when the presenter asked for one last question to win a 7' 2" berkley dropshot plastic spin rod valued at $109 I put my hand up and asked if I could have the rod PLEASE. to which he replied no worries mate here you go.
So I am one happy camper. So to all that think the show is a waste of time and can't be bothered going. IMO this is untrue.

Evin Rude
01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Cant agree with all comments on the seminars, the guy running it was as entertaining as a moldy mango & the obvious advertorial & the not so obvious advertorials makes it all seem rediculous.
While some presenters are obviously experienced, established & give good info, there are others that take every chance to push a barrow in the form of this rod or that reel, all the while they're wearing the same brand hat, badges all over their shirts. Some of these drongoes look like dead set NASCAR drivers with all of the endorsements, obvious plugs, hats, badges & comments to match. Fair dinkum!!
I sat in on one barra talk & the presenter was talking about a location which, by his descriptions he has obviously never been there. I DO happen to know the location. He was outright telling porkies. If the organisers want to get folks like this in, fine. But I wont be paying my hard earned for that tripe again. I'll go to one of Nuggets seminars for down to earth anglers with good info.

In saying the above. I must say that not all presenters I saw are in this category, hope they can get some more like them back, like they used to have in years past. Down to earth anglers who are happy to share their knowledge & knowhow, not tell us how fast their boat is or how good they are.
Also. Please please please dont bore us with the bream comp heros again (more NASCAR stuff).

Got a great deal on a sounder from Stones Corner, lovely people there too. One fellow (his neck thingy said his name was Rob) at Springwood was rude & arrogant to my lady. They missed the sale.

All in all, good to see the boats. Should be just boat builders, motor manufacturers etc IMHO, no dealers. It just turns it into a flea market.

Thankyou.

Evan

TimD
02-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Amanda and i were happy to go to the boat show this year,I picked up a dogbone bracket for my new minn kota from springwood marine at a very good price,I asked them if they had the bolt kit to suit the dogbone bracket,At first they said no we dont have them at the show then they remembered that they were under the counter and ended up just giving me the bolt kit for nothing,I also ended up getting a furuno LS4100 sounder with transom transducer from bias for $399,After that i was chatting with a bloke from the furuno stand about how to set up the LS4100 to get the most out of it and he gave amanda and i a furuno T shirt each,a hat each and a stubby cooler each.Also had a chat with steve cooper from polycraft about poly boats and about these stupid proposed green zones for moreton bay,Gotta say steve is a top bloke and is always willing to give advise.

cheers tim :)

3Vs
02-09-2007, 11:14 AM
It's not all bad - I won a Live Fibre M10 at one of the rod talks.

mik01
02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Farrokh,

some feedback from a newbie to the boating scene (and first time to the boat show)...

went to the boat show expecting to LEARN something about boats, boating and general information etc as well as see heaps of boats.
saw heaps of boats, but saw the same boats also across different stands (dealers). I find this strange as where were the manufacturer's to discuss the pros and cons of the boats? whose stand do I go to to speak to the manufacturer?

good to see some fishing seminars but where were the boating seminars?? I have read quite a few posts on this forum about even some of the more experienced boaties who would be willing to learn more about the black arts of boats (ie - navigation - by charts, boat security - best methods for securing the boat and whats inside it etc etc). there could be easily a day of seminars on boating. I'm sure the forum readers could give you a list of interesting topics.

i you hold a tinnie and tackle show, then there is a forum already for tackle and fishing. The Boat Show, I thought, was mainly for boating and about boating. Keep the fishing seminars etc, but some more interest in the boating side of things would go a long way.

Oh yeah - the convention centre is ordinary. I've been there myself as an exhibitor before and as a patron. Its not cheap for both - went on Wed and paid $8 to park. no problem with this as its not too unreal. was lucky enough to get free tix so went again on saturday with the Mrs. lo and behold, parking had bumped up to $12! blatant ripoff knowing that the weekend is a big money spinner where more people are guaranteed to come.

to be honest, there wasn't much value in going at all for me as I could go to a few local yards and discuss/haggle for boats on any weekend. I dont pay for fuel, so its only my time that costs me.

build in some more value on boating, and many more new and 'old hands' might see the Boat Show as a once a year must do.

cheers,
mik

ps - I won't be going next year based on what I saw. then again, you might argue, I'm not shopping for a $100k + boat either. perhaps I'm not the type of person you want at the show anyway?

charleville
03-09-2007, 11:09 AM
good to see some fishing seminars but where were the boating seminars?? I

That is a very good point and very logical too, especially as it is ostensibly a boating show. ;D As an aside, I remember how the boat show way back in the seventies used to have a lot of sailing craft on display also but they don't seem to feature much these days. The Brisbane Boat Show is looking more like the Brisbane Powerboat show.

It is interesting to compare the boat show with the Gardening show that the ABC stages at the same venue and which is absolutely packed with people. At the Gardening show, they seem to run multiple seminars concurrently.

I saw that the boat show did have a cooking demo in a separate place but it is true that there are no boating seminars per se. On some years, the main seminar program does include a session on outboard motor maintenance usually delivered by Gary Howard. It is real beginner stuff and good for beginners but one could imagine just what a drawcard it might be to hold a separate boating seminar stage with not only the beginner stuff but also individual sessions on individual brands/motors plus a panel session with the leading mechanics from say, Springwood Marine representing Mercs, Leisure Marine representing Evinrude/Johnston, etc handling questions from the floor. Certainly the session that Leisure Marine ran a few weeks ago at their premises and which included a session by their head mechanic, Dallas, attracted a lot of interest and a lot of questions. Such guys are not necessarily natural presenters so they may not do a quality standalone presentation but a panel answering questions from the floor might be a killer session, as it was at Leisure Marine that night.

I no longer go to the Sanctuary Cove boat show because it is such a hassle to get there with trains and interconnecting buses and even if you park, you still have to take the bus to get there. All too hard - and add to that there is no seminar program, there is not a lot of reason for the average boat owner to go.

On the other hand, I have made multiple trips to the Brissy boat show and T&T show in the past because the seminar program drew me in on multiple days, so much so that Bill Corten got to giving me a wave when he saw me as a regular in the audience before he ever met me. I am finding now though that as excellent as the presentations by Webby, Leanne, Nugget, Jason Comino, and a few others are, there is only so many times that I can watch the same material being presented and so I am looking for variety and more topics.

As it stands, I have been thinking about not going next year unless there is a whole lot of new material . I only went to see Jason Comino's session on Bay Snapper this year and it was excellent. By chance, I happened to watch Wayne Kampe's session on Moreton Bay mackerel and tuna and that was stunning as well.

If there were two or more seminar programs happening across the venue, I could imagine going every day - but not if there is just the one seminar program which I have seen most of and would need to kill an hour or two between favored sessions looking at the same boats over and over again.

Ah well, just my 2 cents worth. :-/