PDA

View Full Version : Our new baby

gone_phishin
21-08-2007, 06:23 PM
G'day All,

Haven't been on for a couple of months as we've been too busy out fishing in the new baby!

She's a 5.6 Quintrex Bowrider with a 115 Suzi 4 stroke and Northstar Fish Finder and Northstar Chartplotter, both colour and both 5" screens with 640 x 480 res., as well as a 54lb Minn Kota Riptide (off the old boat). She has full clears, live bait well, kill tank, and is the new Maxi 3 transom. The Minn Kota is not there for trolling but only for jetty and weed and timber work, as the Suzi trolls along between 1.5 and 1.9 in idle... a bit more with the tide though.

Like everyone it was always a matter of did we do the right thing, after ordering her, and doing the little bit of stressing for a few weeks to go along with the excitement! Needn't have worried in the least...she is everything we wanted and more. Has to be one of the driest boats I've been in out wide, though we haven't been in anything more than about 1.5 metres so far, and don't intend to go out in anything more than that anyway, but I know she'll handle it well.

We've now had her for 7 weeks and have racked up 700 nm so she is no garden gnome, and I couldn't be happier with the Suzi...getting approx. 1.1 to 1.2 nm to the litre sitting on 4200 revs. Biggest whinge...and probably the only one...is the damn scuppers. Rotten things keep letting water into the boat and the dealer is well aware of it but manufacturer reckons it's ok and normal. Not for me...if they don't do something soon I 'll just have to start saying some naughty words>:(

Young Josh has changed from saying it's an old fogies boat because of the Bowrider to absolutely adoring her as he can now see and use the front casting area...not the lounge area;D

I've chucked in a couple of photo's of her..."Gelley" (GEoffrEY and ELLE), and a couple of Josh's fish on light gear...3 and 4 kg Pretest.

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers
Geoff

finga
21-08-2007, 06:37 PM
How good is that??? :D
I suppose Josh is trying to save fuel in his boat and take Dad's out all the time.
It must be nearly time for a visit ;)

ffejsmada
21-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Nice looking boat Geoff, but I'm more interested in where you got those beautiful Goldens from.;D

Care to tell?????

Cheers Jeff.

gone_phishin
21-08-2007, 07:32 PM
G'day Finga!!

Yep...Tuffy has been out once in the 7 weeks;D and I reckon it's probably less fuel in Gelley anyway!!! and isn't he loving the Goldens on the light line.

We're off to Causeway Lake for a conference over the weekend and he's asked me to tow Tuffy along so he can do his thing up there, but it all depends on the study for the remainder of the week;)

You name the day your arriving and we're out there mate!

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
21-08-2007, 07:34 PM
G'day Jeff

If you like I'll pm you the marks, but you'll have to come to Bundy for a day or two so I can show you proper like!!

Cheers
Geoff

Tassie JR
21-08-2007, 07:42 PM
hey gone_phishin nice looking rig ya got there like the name with the jelly fish on the side and i also like your outboard cover it really suits the boat, hope you get alot of fun days phishin in her and also catch alot of phish in her.

cheers tassie JR

Tassie JR
21-08-2007, 07:44 PM
forgot to mention nice looking goldens you got in her.

cheers tassie JR

ffejsmada
21-08-2007, 07:55 PM
G'day Jeff

If you like I'll pm you the marks, but you'll have to come to Bundy for a day or two so I can show you proper like!!

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind.;)

Cheers Jeff

catfishkid
21-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Im not sure what is most impressive the goldens or the new boat.
Seriously, nice looking rig you have there mate.

Cheers craig

gone_phishin
21-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks Tassie and Catfish

The big one was 10.5 kg on 4 kg line so he was pretty happy with that one, though he was pretty happy with all of them!!

I've attched a couple of more Goldens and Gold Spots that have been around on the light gear...the 7kg Gold Spot was on 3kg so he is learning:)

Cheers
Geoff

finga
21-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I have to admit the little bugger can fish eh :-/

gone_phishin
21-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah...he is good to watch I must admit...and good old mum and dad have to let him control the boat when he's on the big ones, so it's no fishing for us when he's like this, just "back up dad" "go forward dad" "to the left dad" "to the right dad" "get the net dad"...............>:(

Smithy
21-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Good one Geoff. See you on the weekend!

gone_phishin
21-08-2007, 10:34 PM
G'day Rob!

Lookin forward to it! Are you there Thursday or Friday?

Ron173
22-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Geoff,

those scuppers shouldnt leak at all, as even the slightest water pressure on outside seals them.

Lift them up with tweezers or something and check for manufacturing debris in there, mine were full of trimmings from bouyancy material.

As i was taking in a small amount of water, but they were fully sealed.

I was under the floor, put new o rings on bungs, the lot.

In the end, dealer took her in workshop and filled up till leak showed, turned out to be top motor bolt holes just weeping.

This made it hard to find as they are only ever under water when coming off the plane and you get the following wave runs up stern, so was very hard to find.

I totally suspected the scuppers but they seal good.

So if they are clear of debris, try putting bungs in and filling her up slowly, should show up where its getting in.

Mine dry as a bone now.

Hope this helps

Ron

22-08-2007, 09:38 AM
nice looking boat youve got there, i've just got 1 question if you dont mind how do you find the bimini cover and rocket launcher? it looks like the ocean south cover which i'm looking at and way just after some feed back on strength and so on... any good or bad points???

thank and very very nice boat!! :)

gone_phishin
22-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Ron!

She is back in the dealers this morning and I will ring him and ley him know what you have said. I assume you also have the Quintrex scuppers?

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
22-08-2007, 10:54 AM
G'day 100,

They all came with the boat and from what I can gather they are made specifically for Quintrex, but I could be wrong. Biggest and probably only problem was that the support pole attachments to the gunnels were riveted in and these came loose and broke off in the first decent sea so had the dealer replace them with bolts...no problems since. The Targa and holders were a part of the package and in hindsight were one of the better inclusions.

Hope this helps!

Geoff

Ron173
22-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks Ron!

She is back in the dealers this morning and I will ring him and ley him know what you have said. I assume you also have the Quintrex scuppers?

Cheers
Geoff

Yes,

small screw in rubber flap type. Didnt remove screw but hard to get hold of so borrowed mrs tweezers to lift flap, and found debris in there.

But get dealer to fill up n check bungs and motor bolts, unless youve actually seen it ingressing thru the scuppers.

I was taking about a bucketful over a day, and was very hard to find.

Ron

ILikeBlu
22-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice boat m8 :) nothing like a brand new boat to put a smile on the dial.

I to am interested on the bimini and rod holders as well, they do look a lot like the Ocean South ones.I just bought myself a Bluefin 525 and need a setup like that. I was interested in the Quintrex myself but the dealer scared me away with the price and his sale pitch that seem to come all in one breath lol. Nice boats though and nice insides you must be wrapped m8 :)

gone_phishin
22-08-2007, 11:39 AM
G'day ILike Blu

Yeah she's certainly kept me smiling...funny you know, I was seriously looking at a Blue Fin before I decided on the Quinnie, and got scared off by the dealer too. Only because of his attitude though...nothing against the boat! Got me really jacked off arguing over an I said you said $190 on a 36k boat. Ended up going with a dealer here in town and apart from the few minor probs mentioned earlier, couldn't be happier. How do you find the Blue Fin in the open as far as water over her is concerned? I can't believe how dry the Quinnie is...

Cheers
Geoff

gone_phishin
22-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes,

small screw in rubber flap type. Didnt remove screw but hard to get hold of so borrowed mrs tweezers to lift flap, and found debris in there.

But get dealer to fill up n check bungs and motor bolts, unless youve actually seen it ingressing thru the scuppers.

I was taking about a bucketful over a day, and was very hard to find.

Ron

This is the new style scupper Ron that has a small ball in it, but I will certainly talk to the dealer anyway.....Thanks!!

Geoff

ILikeBlu
22-08-2007, 12:56 PM
How do you find the Blue Fin in the open as far as water over her is concerned? I can't believe how dry the Quinnie is...

Cheers
Geoff

Been pretty good :) copped a couple of splashes to the face, until I worked the out the best trim position for the conditions I am in. But to be honest I been to busy grinning to care lol.