PDA

View Full Version : Holographic paint??

Owen
21-08-2007, 12:40 PM
G'day all :)

Any spray painters among us?
I've been looking at soem fancy reel seats that have that metallic paint that changes colours from different angles.

Just wondering how hard the stuff is?
Was considering air brushing it onto a reel seat and maybe giving it a coat of epoxy if the standard clear wouldn't stand up to handling.

Wonder how a whole rod would go in this stuff?
Would it fall off as soon as you bent the rod? :-/

cheers,
Owen

finga
21-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey mate have a look at these.
http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZpoutyscustompaints2
I'm going to have a yarn with this dude when I go out to Warwick next.
I reckon you can mix them into the resin :D

luigi
21-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I picked up a bottle of holographic paint flakes on ebay.

I have been mixing a small amount of the flakes in with the two-pack final clear coat on my lures & the result is fantastic, especially when the sun hits the lure.

The fish just about jump into the boat after them too.:P ;D

Cheers - Lou

lippa
21-08-2007, 03:52 PM
chrome ellusion, camellion, ect are all cob systems. ie the colour is only colour provides no protection at all. a quality 2k clear is needed to give it the gloss and protection.
and its friggin expensive!!!!!!!!!
a litre of automotive quality paint is around a grand a litre, depending on colour.
i seen a cheaper option at super-crap auto the other day, called chrome fx from memory came i two aersol cans. maybe an option. i'd just check with maufactuors if an epoxy is a suitable top coat!

cheers

lippa

finga
21-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Here's some other smicko paints and stuff
http://alsacorp.com/index.htm
There's an agent out Rocklea way.
Do you know that mob Lippa??

lippa
21-08-2007, 04:53 PM
nah mate, i hadn't. looks to be some pretty trick stuff though.

you could also try http://www.houseofkolor.com.au/

cheers

lippa

Owen
22-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey mate have a look at these.
http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZpoutyscustompaints2
I'm going to have a yarn with this dude when I go out to Warwick next.
I reckon you can mix them into the resin :D

So you'd just mix these flakes in the epoxy??
Or would a two pack acrylic clear like lou uses be better?

That's the go.
I'm sure the proper paint like Lippa says would be better, but the price precludes it :(

Let me know what you reckon of it Scott!

finga
22-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I reckon it would be six of one 1/2 dozen of the other matey.
When I know you'll know eh ;)

Seahorse
18-09-2007, 08:53 PM
you can get it in aerosol.
can also buy it by the litre. there are 3 options. each option has different colours.
i can get it for around $500 per litre. looks a treat if applied on the right thing. flat surfaces not real flash. more curves the better.
as lippa said, no protection in colour as only a base. need a 2pac clear over.
No need to spend the $1000 litre for standox or ppg or $1500 litre for glasurit.
just pm me if you want any further info.

cheers
greg

sandyd
19-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Scott you bought some flakes from the guy on ebay right? How did they go?
I remember Owen mentioning that you had and that one of them did not work to well.

finga
19-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Mate I tried one of them yesterday.
Sorry for the delay...haven't been the best of late.
I got the Caribbean Gold (used it yesterday), the purple to green shifter, some gold holo flakes and some glow in the dark powder of that dude in the link.
I tried them in the resins but they looked like crap except the holo flakes and they look really good (if you like sparkles that is).
The glow in the dark works okky dokky as well.
The Caribbean Gold hasn't got a real distinct colour change but it's there. It really made a difference to the finished colour on what colour is underneath.
I used white etch primer and where the colour was sprayed on the white it went blue and where it was still black (up where the foregrips go) it went a goldie colour.

I have to put a coat of clear over the rod I did yesterday and will post a picture.
One thing for sure...if any bugger pinches your rod it's going to stick out like me in a fairy convention.

Interesting enough the rod I tried it on came from the markets (again) and when I pulled it apart it was a hastings blank....UR601MHXF. Well worth the $3.
It's going to be another assembly of experiments. I'm trying another inlay butt and foregrip on it.

PS I have that parcel of timber for Owen...just have to get it to freight. Yeah I know I'm a slacker :(

choppa
19-09-2007, 09:31 AM
starting to get ideas for the tinny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, glow in the dark,,,,;D ;D

this ain't holographic,,,, its an illusion,,,,, but still has the effect

this has bugger all to do with the question at hand,,,, but a sparkly tinny ;D ;D ;D ;D

rando
19-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Guys
this might be only partly related to the thread.
My eyes are getting crook and I have trouble in low light seeing the rod tip.( Cant see it at all in the dark)
I want to put some reflective / glow in dark coating on the top 6-8 inchs of some of my rods.
Would paint stay on such a flexible part of the rod.?
if so whats the best type to use?
That fluorecing powder in the link looks like it might be good !!! Would adding a coat of epoxy to the tip stuff up the action of the rod??
thanks in advance for your advice,,, sorry if Ive hijacked the thread, pm me if Im too off topic.
Cheers
rando

finga
19-09-2007, 12:09 PM
I tried some glow in the dark on a rod tip just mixed up in some flex coat and worked well. I don't think it would affect the action that much and it will affect it to a degree I suppose.
This stuff does loose it's glowing ability after a while.
I suppose that's another experiment to see how long it glows for :)

Choppa mate...you should see the sparkles....Just ask Great White or Herm :D
The pictures are some I just took....
I put some sparkles in some resin I had mixed up and I tried some on the Stanley knife. The pictures don't purvey the true sparkleness of them.
Dr has some leftovers of that that I put on some jigheads just to add some sparkle
Cheers Scott :)

DR
19-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I tried some glow in the dark on a rod tip just mixed up in some flex coat and worked well. I don't think it would affect the action that much and it will affect it to a degree I suppose.

I put some sparkles in some resin I had mixed up and I tried some on the Stanley knife. The pictures don't purvey the true sparkleness of them.
Dr has some leftovers of that that I put on some jigheads just to add some sparkle

the sparkles on the jigheads looks really great, will catch fisherman as well as fish ;D
Tried to take some pics for you Scott, but they don't show the effect..

Great White
19-09-2007, 08:46 PM

Any more sparkles Scott and they will belong on the YMCA Village People float at the Sydney Mardi Gras ;D :P 8-) Oh the pink bold is just for you Scotty feel free to add some spandex and sparkles if you like ducky ;)

finga
20-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Any more sparkles Scott and they will belong on the YMCA Village People float at the Sydney Mardi Gras ;D :P 8-) Oh the pink bold is just for you Scotty feel free to add some spandex and sparkles if you like ducky ;)
Remember old mate.......revenge is sweet 8-)
PS I like duck but only just in my Chinese food Mmmm :-*
PSS Remind me to tell you a, sadly, very true story about the first mardi gras. :-/

roz
20-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Not fair!

if I did something like that it would be labled as girly, girly bling, by Myles or Stu!!!

Going to take full advantage when it comes around to building the PINK blank that Myles gave me, although that's down the track ATM, I've only (yesterday) finished removing the remains of the ruined McGinn wap. Very sad indeed. :(

finga
20-09-2007, 11:26 AM
If you reckon that's girlie Roz what do you think of the finish on this rod.
It's going to be my Dad's Parramata rod.
It a blue-gold colour changer.
You can see the difference in the finished colour near the LHS. This bit was black and the rest was white underneath.
Ooh bugger...the colour didn't come out as light as it actually is :-[

roz
20-09-2007, 12:08 PM
If you reckon that's girlie Roz what do you think of the finish on this rod.
It's going to be my Dad's Parramata rod.
It a blue-gold colour changer.
You can see the difference in the finished colour near the LHS. This bit was black and the rest was white underneath.
Ooh bugger...the colour didn't come out as light as it actually is :-[

Looks great Scott!!! I've given up with photos, occasionally ya get one that's close to the real thing, but an explaination of what the object look like in reality is usually required. Bring it along on the 30th if you could please.

As mentioned, Myles gave me a blank that really is pink, but it is third in line after the McGinn and Herby's boat rod.

cheers r

Owen
20-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Scott,
I had a gin around with the green/purple powder last knight.
I thinned some epoxy way down with acetone on mixed it in.
By the looks of it the purple is heavier than the gren and wants to settle.
I reckon it'll need a very thin first coat (maybe even sprayed) then a coat of clear and then another coat of colour followed by the top coat.
The two layers should help with the colour change the same way as a tiger wrap.
I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers,
Owen

roz
20-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Owen,

Just a word of caution when thinning down epoxy, you may find it will change colour with age. Iso-propyl alcohol prodan - 2- can be used, however there are some light epoxys on the market nowdays, better option IMO. Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in here.

r.

Owen
21-09-2007, 02:19 AM
G'day Roz,
Hadn't heard of that happening.
I have a supplier that sells isopropyl alcohol.
I planned on getting some for cleaning etc, so I'll give it a whirl.
I would havethought acetone would pretty much evaporate, but I s'pose it could alter the chemical balance.

cheers
Owen

finga
21-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Scott,
I had a gin around with the green/purple powder last knight.
I thinned some epoxy way down with acetone on mixed it in.
By the looks of it the purple is heavier than the gren and wants to settle.
I reckon it'll need a very thin first coat (maybe even sprayed) then a coat of clear and then another coat of colour followed by the top coat.
The two layers should help with the colour change the same way as a tiger wrap.
I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers,
Owen
I had some of that purple-green stuff mixed up in some resin and I just went and pulled the mixing cup out of the bin and pulled the resin 'lpug' out and had a gander at what's on the bottom.
Couldn't really tell as it all looked purple to me.
I noticed there's a real difference in finished colour when the base colour is different though.
I tried it on an old blank where there was some black and I put some masking tape on another bit and the finished colours were different.

I'll have to give you some sparkles Roz for you to try on your girlie rod if you want ;).
Cheers all
Scott :)

Owen
21-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Scott,
That's exactly the result I would expect.
For a holograph to work one "image" or colour has to sit higher than the other.
So either the epoxy has to be thick with the purple sinking and the green rising to the top, or you have to do two layers so thin that the purple can't sink and seperate the layers with a clear one.
Then when you shift your eye, you will see differnt colours as the bottome layer flecks are hidden (or not) by the top layer.
That's how th tiger wrap works.
You loosely run two contrasting threads side by side (say black & silver) and wrap from left to right.
Then you burnish the threads so they form "S" shapes all over the place.
Then you put a couple of layers of epoxy on to give it depth.
Then wrap two threads on top, but go right to left. Use say "black & blue".
Then carefully unwind the black thread from the top layer so you have an evenly spaced blue thread only.
Then epoxy again.
What you will see is a wavy blue & silver pattern depending on the angle.

like below

I reckon this powder stuff needs the same kind of principal.

roz
21-09-2007, 10:08 PM
I've seen the 'yellowing' myself, I suppose if there are colours involved it might not be noticed. However, use it at between 5 or 10% in solution, I wouldn't go higher than 10%. Do without if possible, or run a little trial first.

r.

rando
26-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I did some research on flouro paints. The one they sell at "supercheap",, the manufacturer advised "no good" for salt water as the chlorine molecules will react with the chemicals in the paint and it wont glow.I asked about covering it with epoxy, and he said the epoxy wont seal it.
I know this is off topic but i thought there might be some who were interested.
Cheers
rando

finga
07-10-2007, 07:03 AM
You loosely run two contrasting threads side by side (say black & silver) and wrap from left to right.
Then you burnish the threads so they form "S" shapes all over the place.
Then you put a couple of layers of epoxy on to give it depth.
Then wrap two threads on top, but go right to left. Use say "black & blue".
Then carefully unwind the black thread from the top layer so you have an evenly spaced blue thread only.
Then epoxy again.
What you will see is a wavy blue & silver pattern depending on the angle.

like below

I reckon this powder stuff needs the same kind of principal.
Mate, I tried the tiger wrap with the epoxy between the two layers (something different again) and makes the wrap a whole new kettle of fishheads.
Gives it a definte 3D effect and the more coats between the 2 the better the effect I'd reckon.

I only tried with 2 thin coats
Ta mate :)

Owen
07-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the further apart the two layers of thread are the more the 3d effect.
You do have to be careful what colors you use.
I did one with metallic silver & dark metallic blue on the botton and a lighter mettalic blue on top wit quite a thick layer of epoxy between.
It looked good inside, but as soon as you took it in full sun the metallic silver shone through too much and the moire effect disappeared.

finga
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I was boring mate.
Black and metallic silver under and black on top.