PDA

View Full Version : Split grips

Owen
21-08-2007, 12:36 PM
G'day folks,
I'm pretty keen on doing a split rear grip on my next project and putting some fancy stuff in the middle.
Are there any practical disadvantages that out weigh the cosmetic appeal?

I guess if the rear grip spacing was long enough it wouldn't go in a rod holder so well, but I can't think of any other reason it'd end up being a pain.

cheers,
Owen

finga
21-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Well my arms aren't long enough to use some of the split grips. Just like 98% of gimbled rods.
But I suppose that's to be expected when your butt is too close to the ground ie short a-rse. :(
What fancy stuff you looking at?? :)

Bearclaw
21-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Owen, split grips and rod holders usually don't go together specially with a weave to damage in the middle. I only recomend them when you will be holding the rod the weave will get damaged if no thought is put into the grips and how it will sit in the rod holder. The split grip isn't really a cosmetic, it is about removing weight which you will add right back with a weave so you will actually get a comestic addition to the rod without any weight gain.

Horse
22-08-2007, 07:39 AM
My split grip rod has a lot of damage on the cork due to hitting the top off the rod holder and being pulled out under pressure. I reckon it would be an issue for your fancy work

Neil

craftycarp
22-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I learnt a lesson about mixing split grips with rod holders.. My brand new ian miller snapper raider and stradic 4000 are at the bottom of moreton bay. Some rod holders are really not designed to hold long butt rods.. oh well you live and you learn.

Owen
22-08-2007, 12:19 PM
hmmmm..

Sounds like they're a bit like the young blonde you perve at.
Looks real nice and you'd probably enjoy playing with it for a while, but you wouldn't wanna live with it ;)

I wasn't really chasing a weight saving, just a cosmetic thing. Trouble is I rarely ever fish from the bank, so pretty mech everything goes in the rod holder at some point :(

I'd really love to pust a snakeskin inlay in there but they're protected (except from shovels) so I was thinking of either fishskin or a weave or maybe a tiger wrap.

I'll have to think on it some more. Thanks for the input guys :)

grave41
22-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Snakeskin,good idea I"ll raid the ceiling where the 9Ft carpet snake leaves his skins.Try some of the reptile keepers they often have skins left over.

Graham