PDA

View Full Version : Single foot guides on an overhead rod

finga
21-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Gidday all you knowledgeable people.
Is there any technical or theoretical reason why single foot guides cannot be used on a lightish (up to 8kg say) overhead rod ??
Or is it all just what people are used to??
I was toying about using single foots up the top where it's all twitchy and doubles down the bottom where some guts are required on a boat rod I want to build one-day.
Cheers then
Scott :)

wheezer
21-08-2007, 09:49 AM
no reason except if you are chasing durability. under load the top guides have next to no pressure on them. i've seen a mate pop out a few single foot LSG's when using his rod to poke his lure off a snag (a no-no with graphite rods but we all do it!) so it may be best to use a locking wrap. I use either all single foots or a combination of double singles on all my bass baitcasters but use all double foots (albeit fuji titaniums) on my barra gear as i'm often a little rough on my gear when i'm barra fishing.

DR
21-08-2007, 09:59 AM
i have used them heaps of times on the tips of light gear. this type of frame was my choice..
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/helloMrWhiskers/blag.jpg

finga
21-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Goodo chaps :D
Also it's another way to relieve my eyes and cactus hands when binding double foots on a teeny weeny top end of a light rod.
I did an experiment a few weeks ago with some guides just taped on and it all seemed to work just dandy with no undue stress placed on the guides (they didn't bend :)) and was wondering if there was any reason why you don't see the combo style in mainstream rods.
They (doubles) drive me nuts sometimes (read that usually) ;)
Maybe I should just do a spiral wrap and be done :)

B_E_N
21-08-2007, 02:04 PM
i dont see why they wouldnt work, maybe look at the fly guides because they sit lower than some of the normal single foot guides

Charlie
21-08-2007, 06:19 PM
i have used them heaps of times on the tips of light gear. this type of frame was my choice..
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/helloMrWhiskers/blag.jpg

I own a couple of 5 - 10 kg Pflueger factory baitcasters and they have five of those single legs and three double legs,It took my eyes a while to get used to it but no problems so far.

tunaticer
21-08-2007, 06:53 PM
The problem with thise pictured guides is you would have to use a lot of them to avoid the line rub on the blank under load. I wouldnt have a drama with single foots up to 4kg, 6kg is a lot to place on a single foot tho IMO.

The big test will be your first snag and try to breakoff or rip the lure from the snag. That will let you know how strong they are.

My preference is for BSVLGs or the titanium equiv depending on what im building

Jack.

grave41
22-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Spiral wrap goodie.Have you played with my toy yet?

Graham

finga
23-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Spiral wrap goodie.Have you played with my toy yet?

Graham
Raised a few eyebrows it did ;D
The first cast went for friggin' miles and got my braid got tangled in dads tree :D
I was just trying to get the right direction first and aimed at the tree thinking yep, that's about right I won't get there.
But that was beginners luck. Went down hill from there :-[