PDA

View Full Version : Taking a cat for a walk

fish2relax
21-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi all,
Having owned only mono's previously I'm looking at a cat for the next boat and i am taking one for a test on Saturday. It's a Sailfish 7700.
Having a good look at it over the past month or so its get most ticks in the boxes for what iam looking at. ie Big and a Alloy. Iam also looking a mono's.
however im interested in what to look for while taking a cat for a test.
It will be used as a overnighter occasionaly so im interested in hearing about the "Tunnel slap" and how i can bring it on under a test. Is it statonary or trolling into a headsea ect. also after their worst traits so as i can try to instigate them in the test also.
Your input is appreciated.
Regards
F2R

Noelm
21-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess if you are going to do overnighters, try to get a day with a bit of wind so you have some chop, if you do not want to anchor, just get into the "sleeping position" while someone just idles straight into the chop, another good test is to run with the sea, then turn off just a bit so you are running with the wind/sea from one stern quarter, see how much fooling about with trim is needed to make it "behave", all other test are just as per any boat, except stability, I guess you will not need any test there, maybe even everyone in one corner at the very back to see how the motors are keeping out of the water (or in the water)

Brumby
21-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Not sure where you're based, but if its SEQ, I'd say you should have enough wind and swell action.;D

fish2relax
21-08-2007, 01:47 PM
G'day,
I'm in Sydney. I booked the test at lunch time which was the latest i could do it.
the weather looks average so im hoping it'll be blowing during the run.
I'm actually thinking about going for a fish inthe morning where the test is being held so i can step from my boat onto it for abit of a comapison.
However if its miserable (good for the test) then i wont be out in my open boat. lol.

cheers