PDA

View Full Version : OptiMax Feedback Please

Xtreme
20-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for some objective feedback from OptiMax owners (Past or present) for some info on their overall performance and reliability.

I am buying a new boat to replace the trusty Quinnie TopEnder and have satisfied myself that the DFI 2 stroke is the way to go, the dealer is a Merc only dealer and has offered a great deal on an Opti which is about 3 grand cheaper than what I can get an E-tec 115 for (3 cyl v V4) so I am wanting to get some feedback as my own research suggests the Opti is a pretty good unit.

Seems all the marketing hype has battle lines drawn between E-Tec's and 4 strokes but I can't find much on the Opti's.

Appreciate any input from those with some run hours or know people who do,

Cheers, Steve

sea raider
20-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Contact the guy from Outboard Covers Australia, I believe he has owned both the Optiomax and the Etec

Cheers

Geoff

Redbream
20-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Steve.

I have an '03, 225 Optimax with 850 hours on it and it has so far not missed a beat8-)

It is super efficient on fuel and the power is on tap when you need it.

I am very impressed with it and have no complaints. They all have their good points and all engines these days have to be good or they will not sell.

Cheers Shaun.

Blister
20-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Steve
I have a 90 Optimax on 5 metres of runabout. It's 10 months old and I have done 42 hours and used 257 litres and travelled 625 kilometres according to the gauges(Smartcraft). It is not as smooth as my previous 50 EFI Mercury four stroke at idle but at any other speed is smooth and quite punchy. I do quite a lot of stopping and starting and would expect better economy if longer trips were the go. Travelling at 4000 I think it uses about 3.1 km/L if my memory serves me correctly according to the gauges. I starts just like starting the car and uses very little oil.
Regards
Blister

disorderly
20-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Take 2,

From a satisfied E-tec owners perspective I would say grab the deal you have been offered.
I honestly cant see there could be that much between the opti and the E-tec.
When I bought my 90 I was quoted the same price on both,so I chose the E-tec and am happy with the motor, but I'd probably be even happier with an extra 3 grand in my pocket and an opti on the back instead.
After all the motor is only there to get us to and from our fishing spots.

Scott

rossi
20-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I owned a 150 for a couple of years. Never missed a beat, was great on fuel and oil - it was noisier than a four stroke but had a great throaty growl when you powered down off the plane.

I think the Etec vs Merc thing is a bit like the Holden Versus Ford thing - Youre either a Merc Man or your an Ficht man.

Me - I like a transom dressed in black (plus the Smart Craft stuff).

honda900
20-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Take 2,

dont want to put you off your choice but this is the other side of the coin,

A mate of mine bought a 150 opti less than 12 months ago on the back of a trailcraft 6.1 centre cab. First trip out I went with him for a run down to jumpinpin, we got down there ok, but when we decided to move, no starter motor :o turns out the solenoid is playing up has to give it a tap each time he wants to start it. I think the words "black anchor" was mentioned several times although, a bit more colourful.

Since then he has had on going fuel surge and performance problems with it, I speaking to him on the weekend, the engine is still spluttering under load then performs normally for a while, dealer cant seem to find the problem.

At this stage I reckon the motor would be lucky to have done 40 hours or so and he's not to happy given the dollars he spent on the boat.

Regards
Honda

purple patch2
20-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Repowered with 135 opti in may 07 62hrs so far. Great fuel economy heaps of grunt overall very happy. cheers Roy.

Dodgy_Back
20-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I have a 150 opti ,had it for 3 months now and have done 45 hours.
So far it's been great, plenty of get up and go.
I was told by the mechanic at the dealership to run it on the premium unleaded.
My only feeling is that it uses more oil than I expected, but then again I do use it a fair bit.

Mick

Angla
20-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a 135 0n a 575 outsider and I like to push the boat at 5500 a lot.
Over 200 hours on it now and it has never missed a beat. It does however give me a oil smell in the cab only when the wind is blowing the wrong way. Economy is great if you can learn to drive at a constant speed around 4000 and keep your hand away from the throttle. I must be a speed junkie.
I have just gone back to running it on premium as I did in the beginning.

Chris

Gary Fooks
20-08-2007, 10:57 PM
4 Strokes are generally great engines - and all are 3 star rated.

But if you want a 2 Stroke the E-TEC are all 3 star, probably due to their newer Direct injection system.

Optimax 75 hp to 135 hp are 3 Star rated and the rest are 2 Star rated.

Looking at the 115 hp models the Optimax is emisions rated at 13.3/127 and the E-TEC at 12.5 / 115 ( HC+NOX / CO) so the E-TEc is better by a margin.

Pitty they are not the same price - your decision would be easier.

The E-TEC seems to have lowerr servicing costs ( less frequent services required) so that will help balance the sums out.

Gary

Smithy
21-08-2007, 07:40 AM
This is what I reckon.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=106272&highlight=Optimax

Like Chris though they still have a bit of a 2 stroke sort of smell.

This Etec servicing period of 300 hours is just a marketing thing. A mate just got his 90 done at about 286 hours or something. The dealer said he was lucky to get away with it. The spark plugs were shot and gear box oil etc. should still be checked every 100 hours. He just got away with it but the best Etec mechanic in Qld said still bring it in every 100 hours.

GBC
21-08-2007, 11:17 AM
We've got the 135 opti with 400-500 odd hours - can't remember.
No major dramas - runs like a clock.

Had an alarm last time I was out - water in fuel - sure enough there was.

Fuel economy is real good.

Having driven the opti a lot, and then driving my first etec not long ago, you'd swear they were the same motor if you weren't looking at them. They sound and behave very similarly.

Fuel usage is starting to look a bit suspect on the etecs though - we've also got a 225 etec in the family recently, and it's looking like its best economy is in the 40 l p/h range on a 680 haines. Time will tell.

bay local
21-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I have a 90 optimax on my 15 ft runabout. It has plenty of power can easily get to 70 kph with four in boat. We usually sit at around 4500rpm and use about 8 litres an hour. We haven't had any problem's at all with our's. Even on cold morning's start's up first go.

FNQCairns
21-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Take 2,

After all the motor is only there to get us to and from our fishing spots.

Scott

How true is that statement!!

cheers fnq

Xtreme
21-08-2007, 05:18 PM
To all who have provided replies and to all who refrained wading into the debates of brand X v Y, THANK YOU for a very object set of inputs......Looks like it's the 115 Opti. I'll spend the extra $3k on a new electric, etc, etc.

Safe and productive fishing to all,

Steve

charick
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a 135 0n a 575 outsider and I like to push the boat at 5500 a lot.
Over 200 hours on it now and it has never missed a beat. It does however give me a oil smell in the cab only when the wind is blowing the wrong way. Economy is great if you can learn to drive at a constant speed around 4000 and keep your hand away from the throttle. I must be a speed junkie.
I have just gone back to running it on premium as I did in the beginning.

Chris

Hey Angla....I am currently looking at a 575 Explorer with a 135 Opti on it, the smartcraft guages must be a real hit, what do you know about the new Cruis Crafts ? Reason I am asking is that a bloke tells me, they are now foam filling the hull which in turn makes the hull more rigid which is a bit of a nasty ride.....thoughts ??