PDA

View Full Version : New Minn Kota - Auto Pilot/co Pilot Or Not ?

Aeon
20-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello all. I'm buying one of the new Minn Kota's, either the Terrova or Powerdrive 55lb. I've never owned an electric, but I want it for 50% creek fishing, 50% impoundment, mostly flicking lures.

Would you recommend :-

Auto Pilot - I've read mixed reports on the forums regarding their reliability, but these new models may have addressed this. Wouldn't it be worthless with lots of stopping & starting?

Co-Pilot or Foot Control - I imagine it would be better to be able to control the motor from anywhere with a remote... but I would have thought it better to use your otherwise bored feet rather than your hands. And are the remotes as durable as the foot controls (I do have a tendancy for falling overboard ;D ;D ;D )?

Thanks in advance, Mick.

Dunco
20-08-2007, 01:52 PM
When you say creek fishing do you mean saltwater or fresh?

Aeon
20-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Saltwater.

stark
20-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I Have the A/P 55 and find the auto pilot a great help. If you are fishing in a current or winds or both, without the A/P you spend more time adjusting your drift/course than fishing.

Cheers
John

tunaticer
20-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Get a RT55AP and then buy the copilot for it as well.

The autopilot is worth its weight in gold alone but the handiness of the co-pilot is beyond description its bloody hard to put your wrist down the toher end of the boat when you need to change course

Jack.

Dunco
20-08-2007, 06:08 PM
I think You'll find the Riptide is the one more suited towards the salt. The new Riptide ST comes standard with AP but no foot control (wireless optional extra). There are still some old models getting around for almost half the price.

Aeon
22-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be getting the Auto Pilot model now for sure.

Can anybody recommend either the (corded) foot control or the remote control... it's hard to imagine what would work best without trying them out.

Tangles
22-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Ive got the Riptide with autopilot and foot control; I reckon the foot control works pretty well, its a nice setup, cant comment on the remote, but to my mind if your fishing up the front you can use the foot control easily with your foot and keep your hands on the job at hand.. fishing..

mike

Dunco
23-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry Aeon, My last post was not correct. What I was meaning to say is that the new Riptide comes standard with the remote handheld control, and not the foot control. I'm picking mine up toomorrow, just need the builder to finish my boat to put it on.

Sniper
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I have the co-pilot on my RT5AP. Mainly use the co-pilot but also have the foot pedal on call when needed. Find the foot pedal more of an advantage when fishing in the timber with wind while casting to the trees or when fighting a fish. Both have there place. I have a 80lb Saltwater Terrova on order at the moment and will be ordering a foot pedal for it as well.
Cheers
Bill