PDA

View Full Version : 150 hp shootout- NZ propeller magazine

the_bomber
19-08-2007, 10:15 AM
There is an interesting article in Propeller magazine (from NZ but available in newsagents here) comparing 150 hp outboards. Apparently they gave each of the companies the same boat to fit the motor to and set up and test themselves and hand it back for the test then take it off and hand it to the next one.

Interesting results all very close but rev heads will like the yamaha HPDI. It was
quite close at cruise speeds and trolling speeds.

I was surprised after reading how wonderful the holy grail e techs are that they are not a leader in anything but like all the motors all pretty close.:-X

Anyway I figure an ausfisher looking for a new 150 hp might be interested.

Of course it doesn't cover other things such as noise levels, oil usage, service costs and intervals and depends on prop choice etc but interesting all the same.

bobp
19-08-2007, 11:20 AM
just shows how inaccute the story's of the verado's being bad on fuel are it will be interesting to see what the gen 2 verado's are like when they get here.

not much diferance in any of the outboards

tinman
19-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Very good information and great to see all the motors compared on the same hull. The speeds stated looked very impressive so I did some calculations and found so far that the etec and the suzuki are acheiving > 100% prop efficiency. ie they are going faster than the theoretical speed calculation??? Perhaps they were tested going with the tide (and a good one at that) making the figures somewhat better than they should be. Or possible that the props are actually bigger than the stated prop size. ie stated 17" prop actually closer to 18".

Wahoo
19-08-2007, 02:59 PM
just shows how inaccute the story's of the verado's being bad on fuel are it will be interesting to see what the gen 2 verado's are like when they get here.

not much diferance in any of the outboards

hi Bob

also found this was a good read

Improvements to the power train give the Verado line world class fuel efficiency. Mercury tests show the new 150 hp Verado consumes 22 percent less fuel at wide open throttle and 18 percent less fuel on average at cruise speed than the 150 hp Verado introduced in 2005. In comparison to the competition, the new 150 hp Verado consumes up to 20 percent less fuel through the power band than the 150 hp Yamaha, up to 23 percent less than the 150 hp Suzuki and up to 40 percent less than the 150 hp Evinrude E-Tec.

The enhanced power train features forged pistons, precision machined oil dams, eccentric grooved crankshaft main bearings, an all-new intake cam profile, and a new PCM

Daz

Searaider 2
19-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Geday Bommer ,
Interesting article .

As I'm running a 2003 Yammie HPDI , I was interested in in checking out the comparisons .

I figured that she was getting similar or better fuel econemy at some rev ranges to most of the the 4 strokes & I'f the info in the article is correct , shes up there with the best . :D 8-)

FNQCairns
19-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Tinman yes suzuki was known for it's relativly wild estimation of prop numbers, looks like they may have continued with it this time around (solas?).
Yamaha can be a degree under, Mercury over.

What was the test hull?

cheers fnq

tinman
19-08-2007, 06:34 PM
FNQ the test hull was a "fi-glass warrior"

Overall Length 6.4
Hull Length 5.95
Beam 2.3
Dead Riswe 22 deg
Weight (less motor) 1200 kg

hungry6
19-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Is there a li this "read'?

cormorant
19-08-2007, 07:40 PM
In regard to prop pitch is there a official way to measure them? With props being both raked and variable pitched via cupping is the pitch measured at the middle meat or on the trailing edge or as an average along center of blade axis?

I can believe that if a manufacturer had free access to setup and test boat they will have done a slight cupping adjustment to the standard prop as you can get 1/4 to 1/2 a inch pitch very easily and subsequent performance change. Even when professional do it they don't re-stamp the prop with updated pitch.

A light grind on a prop tip can also get it to WOT range.

I didn't think you could get anywhere near 100% effeciency.

This leads me to believe they are probably using an innacurate rev counter or a gear ratio calc only taken to 2 decimal places.

I have found the analogue dash rev counters to be hundreds of revs out as well.