PDA

View Full Version : 225 Yamaha 4 Stroke Water Pump Fault

Narby_Pup
18-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Just A Bit Of Info For Anyone Who Has A 225 Yamaha 4 Stoke. I Was Replacing Impella For A Friend And When I Removed Plastic Outer Housing I Found This Cover To Be Melted And The Reason Was That The Stainless Sleeve In Which The Impella Runs In Had Turned And Caused Excessive Heat.the Main Water Port To Engine Was Blocked With Melted Plastic.the Stainless Sleeve Has 2 Small Locaters Which I Think Are Not Sufficient.would Recommend Anyone Who Has One Of These Engines To Have This Checked.i Am Researching Products ( Glues ) Which Will Eliminate This Problem.possible That All Large Yamaha 4 Strokes Have This Water Pump Set Up. Cheers To All Pup.;)

Spaniard_King
18-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Pup,

Just about all water pumps have the 2 locating tangs to hold the cup. may I suggest your last water pump service person stuffed up as these have been around for donkeys without a problem. No major outboard brand has changed water pump build charateristics for years.

FNQCairns
18-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I am with Garry, it's a typical arrangement, even my current old 90hp yam uses it (as does all others?) as I replaced the SS sleeve before it hit the water under my ownership.

Was this pump sleeve original and first service for the sleeve?, any previous owners? If a person is not careful the frozen SS sleeve can warm and expand before it is placed fully and aligned into the retainer, simply sloppy work.

If this has been worked on before or is an original fitment I would be chasing at least full parts reimbursement from whoever it may concern.

cheers fnq

jimbo59
18-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Also they need to be run in a bucket or twin feed ear muffs as they can get hot on the standard muff.

Mr__Bean
18-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Also they need to be run in a bucket or twin feed ear muffs as they can get hot on the standard muff.

Agree fully, these engines need a lot of water.

Even when using double hose muffs I have to tilt the motor a bit so that the water doesn't run back out of other water slots in the leg.

If I don't tilt a bit and use double hose muffs my 225 four stroke yammy will trigger the engine overheat alarm after a short while, even with good tap pressure.

BCF have these double hose muffs for $19.95, worth every cent I reckon.

- Darren