PDA

View Full Version : Calamari

turtleshead
17-08-2007, 08:10 PM
After some hints on how to prepare Calamari for the fry pan.
Does it need to be skinned ect ect:)

trippajohn
17-08-2007, 08:58 PM
yes, thumb and forefinger into a small hollow in the squids wings grab tight and pull of a wing do the same to the other, a bit of slime skin should also come of, stick fingers and thumb up its skirt grab it hard (once u find the thing to grab) and pull all of it out with practice you wont get black fingers it will all come out ink sack and all, now wash under running water,slice into5mm rings, dip into egg flour & breadcrumbs deep fry in hot oil till batter turns golden brown salt & enjoy.

jtpython
17-08-2007, 09:10 PM
http://www.squidfish.net/squidcleaning.shtml
Mate this will explain everything

snelly1971
17-08-2007, 09:27 PM
yes, thumb and forefinger into a small hollow in the squids wings grab tight and pull of a wing do the same to the other, a bit of slime skin should also come of, stick fingers and thumb up its skirt grab it hard (once u find the thing to grab) and pull all of it out with practice you wont get black fingers it will all come out ink sack and all, now wash under running water,slice into5mm rings, dip into egg flour & breadcrumbs deep fry in hot oil till batter turns golden brown salt & enjoy.

I have tried it that many times and i find it to be tasteless...makes good bait though....I suppose you either love it or hate it..

;D;D;D

Mick

turtleshead
17-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Cheers guys, Jtpython that link shows it all , thanks again

Noelm
20-08-2007, 01:53 PM
one little hint, clean the thing in salt water, fresh seems to make it go funny, and any ink will wash right away in salt, but stick in fresh, and the best way to cook (I reckon) is to cut into sort of chip size bits, roll in flour, seasoned if you like some spices, very very hot oil and chuck it in for only a jiffy and put onto paper towel to drain, some sea salt while it is still hot and hhmm mmm yummy.

Hunta
23-08-2007, 06:12 PM
one little hint, clean the thing in salt water, fresh seems to make it go funny, and any ink will wash right away in salt, but stick in fresh, and the best way to cook (I reckon) is to cut into sort of chip size bits, roll in flour, seasoned if you like some spices, very very hot oil and chuck it in for only a jiffy and put onto paper towel to drain, some sea salt while it is still hot and hhmm mmm yummy.

MMMMMnnn calarmari arghhhhh (like homer) YUM!!

Noelm
27-08-2007, 10:53 AM
something that I reckon is better than Squid is Cuttle fish, except for the 100 galolons of Ink they have (almost) they are much better flavour and from a good size one, you get enough for bait, and a good feed as well, cooked the same way, cleaned, cut into "chips" rolled in flour, into very hot oil for a jiffy, and your done.

Dunco
27-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Local Kings Road fish & chip shop does the best squid. Local squid litely battered. They must be only about 10cm long. He cuts them up tentacles and all, even leaves the skin on and chucks them in the fryer. Bit of lemon, Making me salivate.

Not to do with topic, but this guy never writes an order down and has at least 20 people on the go on a Friday. Hardley ever gets the order wrong and points you out when your oder is ready.

Noelm
28-08-2007, 09:14 AM
yeah, funny how a "proper" fish and chip shop person knows all the orders in their head, my local is the same, but if you go to the "tourist" types down at the water front, they can barely handle two orders after they have written them down!