PDA

View Full Version : Help with advice on a "cheap" fishing boat (NB: I have no idea/never owned a boat)

landog
17-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi All,

Ive just found/been reading through the forum for the last hour and performed a few searches but it looks like many / most of you guys have a fair few more $$ / are a little more committed to boating and fishing than I am so I think my questions might be unique?

I would welcome anyone pointing me to any info that I should read or provide any other advice to save you typing out a whole novel :) in response as Im sure you have heaps of people coming on the forums and asking "which boat".

My Situation:

I have a young family, Wife + 1 small dog (sausage dog) and 1 x 2 1/2 year old girl. We live in the Northern Beaches of Sydney. We have been talking about getting a little fishing boat for the last 2 years but it was impractical when we were in the apartment.

After moving to our first house at the beginning of this year, and then slowly getting over the costs of purchase Ive now been given the ok to spend up to / around 5K on a fishing boat.

I cant see us going fishing every weekend, but Im sure at least once a month. We love fishing (and often hire a fishing boat) at the Hawkesbury / Berowra for the day. We also would like to fish just offshore around the northern beaches and inner sydney harbour. I guess what Im saying is I dont see us going out sea fishing etc.

I have absolutely no idea about anything with respect to buying a fishing boat and Im guessing seeing as I am going to be buying a older (20 years?), 2nd hand one I could really do with any advice on what type of boat would suit my needs?

Ive been searching ebay and there are quite a few ones that on the surface look ok.

e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290148804654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150149740414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200139327002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

But im not really sure where to start...

- Whats the best type of boat to suit my needs?
- Should I look at something with a half cabin?
- What sort of anual running costs should i expect?
- Do you guys know anyone selling something in a similar price range that would suit my needs?
- Any other direction welcome

Cheers

Doggy

Blackened
17-08-2007, 05:49 PM
G'day

Well... first of all, cheap and boat shouldn't be used in the same sentance;)

If it was me, forget all of those boats on ebay, all old with old engines, the chance of it costing you money is very high.

With regards to your lady and daughter, either a half cab or bowrider would be the best idea. Something between 16 and 18'

Keep to known brands and get someone to thoughly check over a boat once its on your shortlist.

Keep a budget in mind, You should get something pretty good for your needs in the 15-20k bracket.

What do you have as a tow vehicle? This will also be a factor on the size/type of boat you can purchase.

This really is a never ending question, have a good good read of the forum.

Dave

wadeo
17-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Landog a few things to probly look at is what ya want in a boat.ie
You'll need plenty of shade for the misses and ya daughter and sausage dog. Prob a small half cabin 15-16ft will do. That way if it rains you'll have shelter at least for them. As for fibre glass or alli either will do. The outboard ya should get checked out by a marine mechanic prior to purchase and ask him to have a check over boat as well. Basic electronics with a sounder and a marine radio. Do a check of safety gear and make sure life jackets are australian approved and are not damaged. Lastly check the trailer make sure it is in good condition. Do a sea trial before you make your decision. you'll get a lot of different opinions on what boat to look at on this web site. this is just touching on a few obvious things to consider when looking for your first boat. the expert ausfisho's will be able to tell you in more detail what to look for in any specific make. Happy hunting

regards Wadeo

gone_fishing
17-08-2007, 06:17 PM
the motor is the key when buying low priced boats get it checked ask about service records look at it if it looks crappy normally is look at wear on prop indicates how much use
check the trailer how far you got to tow what vehcile you have or need to tow

goto some of the dealers and test drive a few get a feel for how much room you need
everybody looks at different thing in a boat so just look at some you soon see what you like
personally id be looking at a half cab gives goodshelter form the sun as above 16 foot minium prob 50hp and dont skimp on saftey gear
all the best with your choice

jimbo59
17-08-2007, 06:28 PM
That 2nd boat on e-bay looked ok,look mate alot of these people here don't remember their youth:D we all had crappy boats BUT you get to go fishing....cheap,you can still get some great bargins out there i would just spent a little bit of cash on a boat that will get you missus hooked and just fish calm water so they dont get upset with the swells,and you will still have money left over for the house payments:) ....jim

landog
17-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys great advice.

So half cabin it is. Im totally with you on the shelter piece.

We are off to some boat yards tomorrow to have a yarn with a few of the dealers.

15 - 20K is way out of my price range though :(, 5k is max at the moment

That said, if I can find a good boat, even with an older engine to start, I could upgrade the engine once Ive got the family hooked?

Yeah ill definately make sure safety gear is all good, and / or replace / buy whats missing / damaged.

Kepp the advice coming, its really helpful!

Cheers

blaze
17-08-2007, 06:41 PM
IMO with the dollars you have to spend you would be wise to look at a tinnie about 4.1m with a 25hp motor, tiller steer. You will have no shelter for a start but you could put a bimini on as money was forthcoming. Easy to maintain etc and if its not for you for what ever reason you wont loose much dollar and it will get you some experience
cheers
blaze

gone_fishing
17-08-2007, 06:42 PM
try boatpoint there should be plenty on there give you a idea on what you can get for your money

Getout
17-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree with Blaze. Buy a smaller, newer boat if your budget is limited. I started with a 4m tiller steer open tinny with high sides and long shaft 25hp. It took me heaps of places and caught heaps of fish.

abitfishy
17-08-2007, 06:49 PM
What about this with a bimini?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/14ft-4-2m-Runabout-great-40-hp-motor-near-new-trailer_W0QQitemZ150150447936QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10 2698QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gone_fishing
17-08-2007, 06:53 PM
yes guys a tinnie would be good but land is talking sydney habor if you wont to stick to around lane cove area yes but not out in the harbor youll get swamped by ferries unless get one of those really high sided ones but still not for me as before esch to there own

Fish Guts
17-08-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah same here. i was thinking whilst reading that you'd be a perfect canditate for something arond the 4-4.5 metre open tinnie, dory style. you should be able to pick up a fairly good second hand one with around 30hp. bimini will cost are 300 but you can get that down the track. i reckon steer clear of the old fibreglass boats with ancient outboards, go the tinnie, you can leave it on the ramp while you get the car, nudge it up onto gravel if you have to and you wont get any damage conmpared to a glass boat. also lighter and easier to manouvre by yourself.

Poodroo
17-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Being patient is the best attribute you can have when looking at spending as little money as possible on a little boat(If you look around long enough a bargain will fall into your lap). Mine I bought knowing that the trailer would probably need to be refurbished or totally replaced and the motor was a bit iffy at best but the overall price was right. $700 for the complete package which meant even if I purchased a new trailer and sourced out a better second hand but reliable motor I would still end up on top. Ended up buying a new Dunbier trailer, a 25 Tohatsu from a fellow Ausfisher, and then fitted it with a 27 meg radio, and all safety gear and worked out that the whole package owed me around $2500 all up. It goes well and has remarkably good handling characteristics on the water. Have taken the two kids and the wife in it and it sings along nicely. Everyone's idea of what is cheap varies. For all I know you have $10,000 in mind but I think I did well to get myself something that floats and motors along reliably for under $3000. Blaze is right in that a tinny with a tiller steer motor and bimini will get you out there fishing for very little expense. Remember you can always do the upgrade thing later. Good luck with it all.

Poodroo

seabug
17-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi landog,
Beware of getting caught with a cheap fibreglass boat.
If you have to replace the floor and transom it can cost many thousands of $$$.
Goodluck
Regards
seabug

BM
17-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Landog,

You can get a good boat, even a great boat for 5K. When I was selling used boats I bought plenty of boats for 5K and sold them for a minimum of 7.5K. Wouldn't buy them unless I got that margin at minimum.

They are out there you just need to know where to look which will be hard as you have no knowledge.

Tradingpost is the best bet. Ebay a waste of time generally, but you may find a gem amoungst all the rubbish.

3 things will be common:

1) the boat will be older than the owner thinks

2) the engine will be older than the owner thinks

3) the boat will be shorter than the owner thinks

these are almost guaranteed!!

Believe none of what you are told. Have it independantly inspected. Post boats you find on the forums and I/we can advise.

Cheers

trippajohn
17-08-2007, 09:56 PM
:) cant go wrong with a nice tinnie ,tiller steer, newish motor, and a new trailer, old trailers are a pain.

PeteM
17-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Landog,
The advice and help you will get from all the guys on this site is invaluable. If you find something you're keen on, just ask them what there thoughts and feedback is, and you won't go wrong.
I have been looking for a boat too....similar circumstances to yourself (i have a 4y.o and another due in 3 weeks)....i sold a small aluminium, and was in the market for a half cabin with a decent motor on the back. It has taken me about 3 months (so be patient!), but i just got, today, myself (i think) a great deal....it's an older style 5.4m Seafarer half cab (original, neat and tidy, and fully fitted out for fishing), with a 2000 model 60hp Yamaha with only 67 hrs on it (a little underpowered, but goes along fine and will suit my needs).....picked it up for $5200.
There are some good deals out there, you just have to be on the lookout, and be prepared to move quickly.
In my opinion, I found that most boats listed on ebay were too old, too rough, and certainly too overpriced. Your best bet is to look in your local classifieds and the trading post. I live on the Central Coast, and looked at plenty of boats in sydney, and also in woollongong and newcastle, and ended up getting the boat locally, advertised in the local paper.
Looking for the right boat, at the right price, is a lot of fun...and you will know it when you find the one.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Pete

landog
18-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Guys this is all awesome advice. Pete I think your right, ill just need to do lots of research. At least Ive got a few months before summer.

What do you guys think of this one:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2774490

Poodroo
18-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Very presentable boat landog. Only thing I could probably say as a negative to that one is the 55hp Suzuki may be a little underpowered for that size. My brother has roughly the same size boat in a fibreglass Mustang and it pushes along well with a 70hp Jonno. Couldn't imagine anything less than what he has really.

Poodroo

BM
18-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Landog,

the 55 will power that boat quite well. Quite a few yrs ago I had an old 15ft Savage with a 73 model 50 Johnno and that performed well with 4 persons and fishing gear on board.

That looks like a dealer ad to me with the boat being backyarded instead. Of course it may not be but I spent 3 yrs writing dealer ads for the boats I sold and thats more or less exactly the way we dealers word them (except for "cabin cover", that would be "canopy").

Of course that may well mean nothing but I have a personal issues with dealers (be they car or boat) that want to sell something off privately coz it usually means theres a problem that if sold from the dealers yard would come back and bite you. Thats why they will be backyarded off privately so there is no warranty concern.

Like I said, may not be the case, he may just be emulating dealer wording, but forewarned is forearmed so it just means inspect it that bit more closely. Nothing wrong with buying a boat from a liar or cheat or scum of a person. Your buying the boat, not the person so if the boats fine thats all that matters.

The warm and fuzzy "he was a really nice guy" translates into nothing in reality other than some false security for the buyer.

Cheers

boatymum
18-08-2007, 08:49 AM
hi landog and others,
i have just joined this forum and wanted to get in on your post. I brought my first boat just over 12 months ago. Like you i wanted something fairly cheap that would suit the family and get us out fishing. Anyway we sat back and waited and kept an eye on the trading post. I ended up buying a 4.1m quintrex tinny on trailer with 25hp johnson motor for $2000. I found that when i was looking at tinnys not to look at the cosmetic side of it. My old girl is a 1965 Quintrex tinny and she was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, i dont think she'd had a coat of paint since 1965 but she looked ok besides the paint so i brought it. I have since repainted it and brought a new trailer for it and its great. we love getting out on the water and having a fish. i agree with some of the other posts. my advice to you would be, dont rush in and buy the first one you see, dont take too much notice of the paint, if painted as you can always repaint it and try and take someone with you who knows a little about boats. I take my 3 kids out with me and they are aged 8,10 and 12 and sometimes my partener and his 11 year old grandson.

boatymum
18-08-2007, 08:55 AM
landog,
one quick question i forgot to add in my post and i cant remember seeing it in your original post, what sort of car will you be towing the boat with, that will make a big difference in what you buy too unless you can afford to buy another car.
cheers

BM
18-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Good words there Mum,

the only thing I would say in relation to your post is not to take someone "who knows a little about boats" but to have the boat inspected by someone who knows a LOT about boats.

I shudder when people buy used boats (particularly when they are older boats) without having them inspected professionally as there are just so many pitfalls for the unwary.

Cheers

Fish Guts
18-08-2007, 09:18 AM
unless you drive a moped i think any normal family sedan would tow anyhting in the range your looking at.

boatymum
18-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi BM,
yes i would have to agree with your post. someone who knows a lot about boats would be better then someone who knows a little about boats.
cheers

boatymum
18-08-2007, 10:00 AM
true fish guts but you wouldnt want to tow a 16-18 foot boat with the average 4 cylinder car either, the car might be able to tow it but the extra work on the motor would cost you a lot in the long run.

tunaticer
18-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Landog,

I think the style of boat you need is the second ebay link. It has the features you will appreciate and the size that will be safer for your family.

In saying that tho be careful on which boat you select. Fibreglass can hide an awful lot of decay in the timbers below. Have a keen boat person with a fairly large amount of time in boats to help you assess the boat before you buy.

There are a lot of older motors out there that are in good nic thaty have come from loving homes (usually first owners of the boats). The problem is knowing which motor has had the good attention thoughout its life. I know my 12yr old motor on my boat is completely reliable but it is also beginning to look its age too. Mechanically its fine but there are small corrosion spots appearing wherever there has been a chip on the paintwork (usually from sinkers while fishing or stones while travelling down the road. A little external corrosion may not mean its a bad motor and just showing its life story. Internally tho............ best to move on.

Jack.

Braddles
18-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey Landog, I am just have a procrastinate away from my study, but read you have a sausage dog, so you must be a decent fella and couldnt resist responding :-) (We have a long haired standard - he doesnt know he is a dog tho)... My first boat was about 10 years ago, it was a swiftcraft seagull. It was as old as I was at the time (about 17yrs) and had an old 100HP blue band merc on it. It took me about 5 months of sorting through absoluet junk to find it. It was immaculant condition - the old man who owned it had restored it and redone all the cusions on the bunks and new storm covers / clears etc. He wanted 5800 I think - and we drove it away (Dad bought it for my brother and I) for 4800 from memory, all safety gear, a basic fish finder, 27mg 2way radio and new marine battery. You just have to be patient - and as some of the others have said - a true bargin will come along. I think most of whats out there under the 10K is junk - rotted hulls, patched up engines etc etc... and people tend to dream a little when they think what their boats are worth.

The Swiftcraft Seagull would be an awesome boat for your family and pooch if you could find one - a half cabbin design which is an amazingly stable boat at rest, forgiving and doesnt need as much power as some other craft its size to get it on the plane -therefore increasing fuel economy. It has 4 seats and a bunk up front for two adults to comfortably stretch out on in the warm and dry protection of a cabbin. Plenty of storage, and a hatch to access the anchor safely from within the cabbin.

I am in Brisbane - and this boat handled the bay, the Gold coast Broad water and many many trips out to the reefs 2-5kms out from Southport in the open ocean with safety and ease. It handled the swell and many times brought us home when the seas turned ugly out there, feeling safe and protected all the time.

We have since upgraded as finances allowed - but to be honest - when I compare bang for bucks, functionality and true value for money - and I would argue our 5K swifty wins hands down to our 40 something $ rig now when all things are considered.

What ever boat you decide - I would get a half cabbin - esp if your partner isnt into fishing. Sitting in an open boat exposed to the elements - even if it did have a canopy - will sure to end in tears or arguing, or at least reduced fishing time...

If there is a cabbin with somewhere the kid, dog and partner can read, lay down and listen to music, sit somewhere warm and dry, play a board game etc - I think it will be more enjoyable as a family... which means more approved fishing trips for you.. Fiberglass boats are softer riding than same size aluminium, and generally higher sided for safety.

Just a few other reccomendations;

Fibreglass rot is a major risk in older fiberglass boats... especially in the floor and arround the transom. Many F'glass boats in this price range / age range have had new transoms / floors - but dont trust anyone - ask to see reciepts for the work, and then call the repairer - and ask if the job was to FIX the problem, or patch up the boat (many pricks around - sad but reality).

Two common tests you can do - hop in the boat (on a trailer is fine) and walk aroud the floor. Bounce on the spot, esp where the driver stands - but all over - esp in hidden areas, under stroage covers, transom seats etc... if there is any spongy feeling to it - WALK AWAY - your up for big $$$

Another test to check the soundnes of the transom - ask the vendor to trim the leg of the motor right up to max. Apply significant down ward pressure on the motor leg (just above the prop - on the lateral fins or around there)... the whole boat will rock - but if there is exagerated movement or disproportionate movement in the transome or ANY amount of isolated movement in the transom - WALK AWAY...

Lastly - undo any bungs - usually there are two... Smell cose to the holes - if it smells stagnant its prob a good indication of rot. if any discoloured water comes out of the hull bung (the bung that drains the actual sealed void between the hull and the floor - be awarey - highly suggestive of rot... If you can stick your finger in - do so - if the wood feels spongy or debris of wood - I'd also walk..

For the engine - I am in the medical profession and my brother an engineer - so once we spent the time finding the perfect boat - we left this minor expense til the end of the process - and back then it was less than 100 bucks and the marine mechanic checked the compression in the cylinders and gave us his expert opinion on the reliability of the donk..

By no means have I given you a complete or exhaustive list of things to check / do - but its a sure start to the common problems to look out for - and I wouldnt even consider anything other than a half cab boat for a young child, dog and wife that may not be so keen as you on fishing / boating - its all about a happy balance (from experience lol)

Good luck with it all - let us know how you go... and watch the bait around that dog - ours ate every last bit on the way out last trip... I left it out of the esky to defrost lol..

landog
18-08-2007, 04:18 PM
landog,
one quick question i forgot to add in my post and i cant remember seeing it in your original post, what sort of car will you be towing the boat with, that will make a big difference in what you buy too unless you can afford to buy another car.
cheers

Hi right now we have a volvo s4 turbo sedan (2002 model). I pulled a big cage trailer full to the brim of my brothers crap when he moved house from the eastern suburbs to the northern beaches so Im sure it can handle a lightish boat.

We are looking at replacing the car in the next 6 months. Will probabaly buy a new morano.

Cheers

landog
18-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Well we just returned from the boat shop, and i came home with a Quintrex brochure. Im salivating!

I had a really good chat to the guy at the shop who was really helpful despite the fact that I walked in and said I was after a 2nd hand boat under 10 K.

Ive now decided (and got permission from Mrs landog) to spend up to 10 K. This was the strong recommendation of the boat shop guy (despite not having anything under 10K) as he strongly recommended getting a half cabin, or at the very least something like the 430 /450 estuary angler which is spacious, deep/safe for the kids and with fwd steering and a windscreen with bimi attached offers reasonable protection from the elements when things turn a little ugly.

He also suggested trying to get the youngest motor i could, and give a little on the boat.

Finally he was of the opinion that I should go with an aluminium boat, easier to maintain and less potential issues such as Braddles identified.

You know.. when I get into something new I know nothing about I always look for a forum and ideally hope to purchase whatever it is im after from someone on the forum as generally Im much more inclined to trust purchasing something from people that are in a community (allbeit online).

So if anyone has something south of 10K that suits what Im after please get in touch.

Cheers everyone. This has been so helpful!

Doggy

BM
18-08-2007, 06:10 PM
5K as I said is easily do-able, under 10K is hundreds of top boats, in fibreglass up to 17ft with lateish model engines.

Herm
18-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Landog
Please don't give me a excuse to look at boats for sale!;)
I could spend hours looking for our families next boating upgrade!:)

Some of these look OK (on the ad anyway) Good luck with your search! Make sure you let us know how you go and what you end up with!:)

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2772366

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2746699

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2741953

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2577340

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2754941

Cheers
Janine

on-one
19-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but whatever budget you settle on don't spend all of it buying the boat. Boats have a nasty habit of requiring expensive repairs just when you can least afford (mine generated 5k in suprise invoices the week my wife told me she was pregnant) so make sure there's some in reserve. And the suggestions about keeping the family sheltered and comfortable are good advice, if you can keep the family keen you'll go fishing a lot more often than if they're only going to keep you happy.

landog
19-08-2007, 06:29 PM
cheers yeah good advice. Have definately decided on a half cabin and have posted in the WTB forum looking at spending 7.5 K which leaves a few $$ for adhoc stuff

Cheers

mik01
19-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi landog,

interesting to read ur situation as it is exactly the same as mine!!
have spent the last few weeks researching boats under $10k (my first boat).

in my limited knowledge, I went to the newsagent and bought a few magazines which I have found to be quite handy. both are written by a bloke called Jeff Webster (he has a website - www.jeffwebster.com.au (http://www.jeffwebster.com.au)).
the 'secondhand boat workshop' mag reviews a heap of older fibreglass boats in the market and the qualities/issues each one has - boats that you and I will be looking at (cuddies and half cabs). another mag i got was 'fitting out for bay and coastal fishing' which has good info on buying a boat for newbies.

there are heaps of boats on trading post too - check it out.

lastly, I will be using a professional to check over any boat I am interested in buying. these guys I found will be able to give you a full report on your prospective boat - www.ontheweekend.com.au (http://www.ontheweekend.com.au)

I also would appreciate any other advice from forum members about first boat buying for newbies. I'm so damn excited and itching to get myself a boat but also worried I could get a lemon, or find myself stranded with a crappy engine!!!

cheers,
mik

BM
19-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Whatever you buy, make sure it is properly and professionally inspected with a written report.

If a boat you want is in Melbourne I can assist you but if in another state I can't help.

Cheers

KGW3
20-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Fibreglass boats.. Look out for soft floors and soft transoms (Water intrusion).
Alloy.. Watch for stress cracks on welds and joins (wave pounding).
If you can get service records for the outboard showing compression and impellor replacement history etc that would be a bonus. Generally most OB's are pretty good, but Mercs older than 1978 have non stainless driveshalfts which can seize if neglected. Stay away from old Forces and Chryslers due to parts availablility.
Go for the newest motor you can for your price.

mik01
20-08-2007, 01:40 PM
All,

wondering if anyone knows what boat this is (apart from 'easyrider') and how I would tell its age?
Also your thoughts on whether the price is high or not?
This basically ticks all my boxes for my first boat, but its hard to judge whether its worth the money or not...
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WB2423060036_cat_Power+Boats_loc_locRZSQr egtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ4AVSCregRZSQBrisbane+a nd+South+East_maxp_10000_off_20_sect_Marine_show_b naRZSQFalseAVSCmoaRZSQFalseAVSCcmaRZSQFalseAVSCpsa RZSQFalseAVSCdaRZSQFalseAVSCpaRZSQFalseAVSCvtaRZSQ False_sort_otRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriorityI ndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished_sqt_1_stpg_1 _subs_Power_

would greatly appreciate any advice. cheers, mik

landog
20-08-2007, 01:49 PM
All,

wondering if anyone knows what boat this is (apart from 'easyrider') and how I would tell its age?
Also your thoughts on whether the price is high or not?
This basically ticks all my boxes for my first boat, but its hard to judge whether its worth the money or not...
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WB2423060036_cat_Power+Boats_loc_locRZSQr egtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ4AVSCregRZSQBrisbane+a nd+South+East_maxp_10000_off_20_sect_Marine_show_b naRZSQFalseAVSCmoaRZSQFalseAVSCcmaRZSQFalseAVSCpsa RZSQFalseAVSCdaRZSQFalseAVSCpaRZSQFalseAVSCvtaRZSQ False_sort_otRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriorityI ndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished_sqt_1_stpg_1 _subs_Power_

would greatly appreciate any advice. cheers, mik

I have no idea but it looks good, and a relatively new motor as well!

KGW3
21-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Looks like an 80's Haines Hunter 9k is a good price for this sized boat if the motor has good consistent compression.
Hull... check for "soft' floor (rotted stringers) and "soft" transom water intrusion.
If both are solid .. it's a good purchase..l.

landog
21-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi landog,

interesting to read ur situation as it is exactly the same as mine!!
have spent the last few weeks researching boats under $10k (my first boat).

in my limited knowledge, I went to the newsagent and bought a few magazines which I have found to be quite handy. both are written by a bloke called Jeff Webster (he has a website - www.jeffwebster.com.au (http://www.jeffwebster.com.au)).
the 'secondhand boat workshop' mag reviews a heap of older fibreglass boats in the market and the qualities/issues each one has - boats that you and I will be looking at (cuddies and half cabs). another mag i got was 'fitting out for bay and coastal fishing' which has good info on buying a boat for newbies.

there are heaps of boats on trading post too - check it out.

lastly, I will be using a professional to check over any boat I am interested in buying. these guys I found will be able to give you a full report on your prospective boat - www.ontheweekend.com.au (http://www.ontheweekend.com.au)

I also would appreciate any other advice from forum members about first boat buying for newbies. I'm so damn excited and itching to get myself a boat but also worried I could get a lemon, or find myself stranded with a crappy engine!!!

cheers,
mik

thanks mik thats awesome. Ive bought both his mags. happy hunting

mik01
21-08-2007, 11:07 PM
cheers kgw3
apparently transom replaced in 1993, same time as motor.
will be checking this out for the soft floor though. have a couple of others to look at yet.

good luck landog!!
make sure you post your progress here (as I will).

pebble_monkey
22-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Just thought i'd add my 2c worth

I am the mother of 4 year old twins and have been taking them boating since they were about 1year old (ps I had to wait that long because i couldn't get a life jacket to fit my daughter - she's 4 and still only a size 1-2 in clothes:-X )

I love fishing and always have, on saying that children have given me a whole new level of paranoya that i have previously not know.

We were in the same position, with very little money and a big desire to get on the water. Idealy we wanted a cuddy or half cab and looked for quite some time. We were unable to find something that (as a mother) i would deem safe. We wanted a later model for reliability and reduce chance of unexpected repair cost. After weighing up the pro's and con's of each, we decided on an open boat with bimini. We were able to get a lot more for our money (which wasn't very much). The last thing a mother wants is to be worried about getting stuck on the water with a young child, in my opinion this fear GREATLY outweighs the need for a cab.

For any boat you buy check the layout and the side hight (i was never happy with the hight of the sides on ours, to easy for the kids to topple over). Make sure you get your entire family to sit in the boat to be sure that you have enough room. Remember that your young one will grow quickly, and that chances are, your child will never remain in the position you have allocated to them>:(. Remember when you are sitting in the boat, to imagine where you are going to put the food bag/esky, spare clothes for the little one etc etc etc, and that's before you get to your rods and tackle::)

Good luck with whatever you decide on, and don't forget to post us some pics when you get her

Regards
Petra

landog
23-08-2007, 07:26 PM
cheers petra and mic, will post progress :)

landog
23-08-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WY2403050603_cat_Power+Boats_kw_half+cabi n_loc_locRZSQregtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ9AVSCreg RZSQ_maxp_15000_minp_7500_off_25_sect_Marine_show_ bnaRZSQFalseAVSCmoaRZSQFalseAVSCcmaRZSQFalseAVSCps aRZSQFalseAVSCdaRZSQFalseAVSCpaRZSQFalseAVSCvtaRZS QFalse_sort_otRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriority IndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished_sqt_1_stpg_ 1_subs_Power_

What about this one?

seabug
24-08-2007, 12:39 AM
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WY2403050603_cat_Power+Boats_kw_half+cabi n_loc_locRZSQregtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ9AVSCreg RZSQ_maxp_15000_minp_7500_off_25_sect_Marine_show_ bnaRZSQFalseAVSCmoaRZSQFalseAVSCcmaRZSQFalseAVSCps aRZSQFalseAVSCdaRZSQFalseAVSCpaRZSQFalseAVSCvtaRZS QFalse_sort_otRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriority IndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished_sqt_1_stpg_ 1_subs_Power_

What about this one?
Hi landog,
If the boat is the same age as the motor you are looking at around 1980 approx.
Get the floor and transom checked THOROUGHLY.

This might help with motor research
http://www.outboardrepairs.com/mercury_outboards_by_year/?year#nbsp_before_1984

Goodluck and do not rush.

Regards
seabug

BM
24-08-2007, 09:17 AM
The Easyrider is a Vickers Easyrider. You will also find the same hull marketed as a Nautiglass.

9K would be a good buy.

The other boat Sealion??? bit of an orphan and the Merc is the last series of the bluebands which is 1980-1983. Distributorless ignition and they are quite good.

Cheers

bushbeachboy
24-08-2007, 09:18 AM
G'day landog,
If your budget will extend to around $10k, have a look at a 4.55 Polycraft in your travels. It is a soft riding, stable boat, which will have no corrosion or water rot issues. In the end it may not suit you, but it would be well worth your while to look at it. Also, have a look at www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) and ask plenty of questions there too. Some of the members there are members here too and are a very friendly and helpful bunch.
Cheers
Craig aka BBB

finga
24-08-2007, 09:56 AM
The other boat Sealion??? bit of an orphan and the Merc is the last series of the bluebands which is 1980-1983. Distributorless ignition and they are quite good.

Cheers
That motor is the same as mine. Great motor and the economy isn't that bad if you don't push them. If you want to push then you might as well use a funnel instead of carby's.
That one looks in quite good nick and hasn't been abused much (not much paint missing from skeg).
Just check the service records well (cooling jacket checks and top and bottom seals been replaced).

KGW3
24-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes 1982-1983 were the only Mercs with the Blue band and white text. 1980-81 had silver text. If it's an Aussie Merc the S/N would begin with 806*
They have a SS driveshaft and 6 cyl (3 carbs) with integral fuel pumps.
It looks like a nicely kept motor.

BM
24-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Yes 1982-1983 were the only Mercs with the Blue band and white text. 1980-81 had silver text. If it's an Aussie Merc the S/N would begin with 806*
They have a SS driveshaft and 6 cyl (3 carbs) with integral fuel pumps.
It looks like a nicely kept motor.

Hi KG,

Sorry but your not correct. If you look at the Merc deal ID chart you will see that 80-83 is the same decal. A 2 colour blue background with white letters over the top.

Cheers

landog
25-08-2007, 08:35 AM
well i rang that guy and he was all "mate i wont lie to you, its great mate trust me" it all felt wrong..

Ive since come across this..

advice?

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_W865332637723_off_86_sect_Marine_sort_otR ZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSellingPrice_sqt_2_srch_half+cabin_s tate_9_stpg_1_subs_Power_

and this

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WY2373030827_off_98_sect_Marine_sort_otRZ SQ1BJDZfdRZSQSellingPrice_sqt_2_srch_half+cabin_st ate_9_stpg_1_subs_Power_

i like the stacer

BM
25-08-2007, 08:42 PM
The BFG is an OK brand. Not overly well known, but familiar enough (in NSW). Even though I love my Chrysler (Force) outboards its overpriced for what it is.

The other boat is a STREAKER not a Stacer. Its a Streaker 4.58 (15ft). The 50hp engine will seriously struggle to power the boat with any sort of load. 75hp or 90hp would be the right power.

Keep looking...

PeteM
25-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Landog,
Not sure if you have looked at the BFG at Cowan. I had a look at it when i was shopping for my half cabin. It has been in their yard for months, at least 4 months that i am aware of. The hull and the interior are a bit rough (they always look better in the pictures!!!!), motor seemed to look ok (looked clean and no signs of corrosion) but i didn't ask to start it up. There is no canopy or bimini with it, so add at least a few hundred $ if you want one for protection from the elements. From what i had looked at, in a similar price range to what you are looking at spending, you can definitely get better value for money. I reckon they will be lucky to get $8k for it....even at that price, i wouldn't have been tempted!
If you see anything advertised on the Central Coast, let me know. If i haven't already looked at it, i could check it out for you and report back to let you know if it is worth the drive up the F3 for you to inspect.
Good luck with your shopping, it's a whole lotta fun (i'm getting bored now that i have bought mine!)
Cheers,
Pete

landog
27-08-2007, 09:13 AM
thanks guys yeah Ill let these 2 go i think.

Im off in 1 hr to look at this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290153960984&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

He paid 11 K for the motor less than a year ago

thoughts?

FNQCairns
27-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Yep, I would buy that for the BIN price, subject to the hull being OK, not an obsolute steal but an honest price none the less if the engine is as described, that would be a great boat for all-round fun and fishing, would handle a choppy day nicely.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
28-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Congrats on the new boat!!:)

cheers fnq

finga
28-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes it looks a half decent boat. There's many hours of enjoyment there I reckon :)

About the only problem I could see is that rusty microphone clip. Other then that she looks like a beauty

How heavy is the boat as i was just thinking if the trailer should have brakes or not??
Might be something to check and it's better to be safe then sorry.

landog
28-08-2007, 09:07 AM
yep i BIN. :) very excited.

Your right it needs power brakes. Ill get it once overed by a boat shop before i take it out.

I pick it up tomorrow so Ill take stacks of photos and post here for everyone.

Cheers and thanks a million to everyone for all the advice!

Cheers Doggie

Crisp Bee
28-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Congrats, Landog.
It looks a good deal.
Perhaps you should rename to SEADOG now

landog
28-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Congrats, Landog.
It looks a good deal.
Perhaps you should rename to SEADOG now

Haha thanks mate!

Yeah im up for renaming it but my wife (ex yachty from the whitsundays) reckons its bad luck to rename a boat?

I have a little problem guys. Im trying to organise insurance before I pick it up tomorrow (in case it fell of the trailer or something) and unfortunately the seller doesnt have any paperwork to identify the hull manafacturer and build year?

Can any of you work it out from the photos.

On the REVS check it says HAINES, but the seller has been advised its a hinton..

Any advice welcome..

p.s. who do you guys insure with?

deek
28-08-2007, 01:56 PM
G'Day Landog,

Can't help with the hull type, sorry.

You could try any of the major insurance companies. I'm insured with Club Marine.

Cheers
Deek

FNQCairns
28-08-2007, 02:13 PM
If it is documentad as a hainse, then keep it as such, it's that close it just doesn't matter. Is that trailer without brakes? if so then insurance wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on, any overhang??. what about hiring a trayback tow truck? Insurance is theirs then.

cheers fnq

landog
30-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Pictures of my new boat!

Thanks again to everyone!!!!

mik01
30-08-2007, 08:31 AM
congrats landog!

bushbeachboy
30-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Congrats on your purchase SEADOG8-) . It sure looks the goods.

STUIE63
30-08-2007, 08:49 AM
congrats mate lots of good times for you and yours to be had in it . nice boat by the way
Stuie

landog
30-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Cheers guys.

Next job is to get insurance, and to do that I have discovered that the trailer is only able to pull 800KG (Im guessing the boat is a bit more than that) and as such needs brakes?

At least the rego says EXEMPT BRAKES IF TARE OF HAULING UNIT AT LEAST 800KG.

Does this mean that the vehicle towing the trailer must be able to tow at least 800KG or that the boat musnt be greater than 800KG?

Either way, what sort of $$ would I need to spend to attach sensa-brakes to my trailer?

thanks

landog
30-08-2007, 04:30 PM
update: just noticed on the trailer rego it says the weight of the trailer is 200KG's - Not sure if this means anything (from a nsw legislation perspective)?

Hamish73
30-08-2007, 05:42 PM
update: just noticed on the trailer rego it says the weight of the trailer is 200KG's - Not sure if this means anything (from a nsw legislation perspective)?
if the total weight is over 750kg's (which it is) , it needs brakes.
Thats the law in QLD, cant imagine the rest of the country being much different

BM
30-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Landog,

You won't need a sensa brake system. Thats only if you exceed 2000kg.

You will need either hydraulic or mechanical brakes. Hydraulic are more precise but that precision also leads to seizures. Mechanical is less precise and less effective but more robust in a salt water environment.

Hydraulic will be dearer too.

The choice is all yours.

Nice boat by the way, pretty late model Merc by the look of it.

Cheers

disorderly
30-08-2007, 07:22 PM
That looks like a tidy unit for 12K was it?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
Very low hours,late model merc 115 merc on the back should make it go real good.
A good budget buy I reckon.An old but solid hull with a near new reliable motor.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
I paid that much just for my 90 etec .http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Hey nick,so hows that,mate,sounds like a Ebay boat buying success story,I reckonhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.

regards

Scott

BM
30-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah not too bad Scott. :)

Yes, I hate ebay or more correctly the "bargain hunter to the extreme" mentality of many users.

But time and time again ripper bargains sail on past untouched usually because they are over about 8K(ish).

Cheers

datamile
30-08-2007, 07:39 PM
But what is a bargain

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190144861945&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

2006 'ESCAPE MARINE' FUGITIVE 4.8M (16') with 75hp with 47 hours

Currently at 19,000, BIN for 25,000

landog
31-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Landog,

You won't need a sensa brake system. Thats only if you exceed 2000kg.

You will need either hydraulic or mechanical brakes. Hydraulic are more precise but that precision also leads to seizures. Mechanical is less precise and less effective but more robust in a salt water environment.

Hydraulic will be dearer too.

The choice is all yours.

Nice boat by the way, pretty late model Merc by the look of it.

Cheers

cheers BM, ill go mechanical. Who would you recommend getting it done by? - just any trailer shop or a marine distrbutor or ?

Cheers. Yeah Merc 115 2003 with 28hrs running time

landog
31-08-2007, 07:47 AM
That looks like a tidy unit for 12K was it?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
Very low hours,late model merc 115 merc on the back should make it go real good.
A good budget buy I reckon.An old but solid hull with a near new reliable motor.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
I paid that much just for my 90 etec .http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Hey nick,so hows that,mate,sounds like a Ebay boat buying success story,I reckonhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.

regards

Scott

Yeah 12. I wasnt going to buy on ebay..and was checking boatpoint and tradingpost every day. Then bored one day I checked ebay and there was this. His reserve was 10K. and I did the BIN as I was ok with spending a little more given the guy was really helpful / honest and the motor was near new.

He paid 11K for the motor about 12 months ago. So in some ways i got a free boat :)

I did call a few other ebay ones though and they just felt dodgy :)

BM
31-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Landog,

Not being in QLD I can't advise who to go to. But definitely go to a marine repairer. Most marine mechanics should be able to do the job for you.

Try member Grand Marlin, not sure if he does trailer repairs but no doubt he will let you know.

Cheers

landog
31-08-2007, 07:57 AM
thanks mate.

rang a boat trailer place down the road, 990.00 fully fitted for mechanical.

sound reasonable?

I might also get them to clean up the trailer (new leaf springs etc). Make sure im 100% safe :)