PDA

View Full Version : Destinking carpet

juju
16-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I went down to morgans on tue and bought 3kg of squid, 3kg of divers, and 3 kg of pillies to re-stock the bait freezer (i use sps, but like something else dragging out the back while drifting...sort of $1 eachway)...anyway i forgot to put in the bigger esky, only had the small one....the stuff was in a bag but it leaked some fish juice onto the carpet in the back of my Hilux duel cab wellback......stinks like hell....cant just rip the carpet out, (its outdoor stuff by the way)...as its all part of a built in setup i made.....any ideas on the best way to de-stink Edward G ?.......oh Edward G is the Hiluxs name.........boats have names...why not cars...

tunaticer
16-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd reckon Edward G is gonna have to relocate to someone elses driveway before you can find a way to remove that stench.
I have a 80series cruiser that got a bit of icewater from a esky moving frozen fillets back home one time 3 yrs ago about 3 supermarkets of deodorisers and professional cleaning agents and its still noticeable even after letting the vehicle air for 2 months straight. I took the carpets out and steam cleaned them also.

Eddy needs a holiday anyway.

Jack.

revs57
16-08-2007, 08:29 PM
G'day Greg...a couple of ideas...mix up some anti bacterial hand wash in a garden sprayer and give it a good hit with that, just let it dry out...it will kill the bacteria that is making the smell. You could then hit it with Glen 20 and give it a sprinkle with some bi carb and leave the rest of the box open but out of the way to take care of any residual, but i reckon if you get onto it and knock out the bacteria it should sort itself out.

Cheers

Rhys

dnej
16-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Vanilla,on a rag,and keep doing it with a new rag,as it dries.
Great in the fridge or esky as well.
David

Eagle
16-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I sugest that you wash it as best as you can and sop up the water/moisture with some rags etc. Then spray the afected area with Meguiars Car Odor Eliminator. The spray bottle states "instant and permanent". I use this stuff to deodorise the carpet in the 4x4 after sour milk has been spilt on the floor. (We drink lots of flavoured milk in 600ml cartons). It certainly does work. I also use it to kill the stench of the scrap bin under the kitchen sink. It costs about $14.00 for 296 ml. Definitely worth trying. Use it as per the directions.
Eagle

Roughasguts
16-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Mix up some nappy san in a bucket, then pour it on the carpet, let it dry out.
If that stuff can kill the stink in a shitty nappy then it should do wonders for the car.

Mr__Bean
17-08-2007, 03:04 AM
I had a similar mishap in the back of my landcruiser, when taking an esky load of fish guts and expired bait back down to the water the esky plug leaked and a combination of fish gut juice and pilly juice covered a large section of carpet in the back of my six month old car.

I ended up giving the carpet a damn good wash with water and laundry detergent, soaped it all up and used plenty of water to rinse it off and get all of the soap back out of it.

I dried as much as I could with a big towel and then went down to the carwash joint at Rothwell and sucked out the remaining moisture with their large vacuum unit.

After a couple of days with the windows down during the day it was dry again and quite fresh.

- Darren

Marlin_Mike
17-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Buy a bottle of Nilodour from wollies and tip uit over the stain

Mike

Lovey80
17-08-2007, 05:47 AM
VAX it and VAX long!!!

Argle
17-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Ill second the meguiars, it got the smell of a wet german shepherd out of the carpet in the back of my old wagon. Not fish juice but phheeeewww the old fella had a pong! Good luck with it

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Wear the fox hat
19-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Try Phew-Go (if it's still available). Bought some at the Tinnie & Tackle show 2 years ago. You buy it as a concentrate & mix it up. Works good for me.

WTFH

Sea-Dog
20-08-2007, 08:08 PM
What about one of those pre-wash soaking products that include enzymes.

The enzymes should eat any organic material that lurks in your carpet.

(Never tried it, just a thought)