PDA

View Full Version : Rush of oxygen?

Nic
16-08-2007, 10:22 AM
The old practice of pitching a fish, torpedo-like, back into the water... can it actually do the fish any good? The traditional claim is that it provides a rush of oxygenated water over the gills, and also gets it heading in the right direction.

However, I have also heard that slow-swimming fish can actually be harmed by the practice – their bodies aren't normally put under that kind of pressure and don't handle it well. That would make sense. What about fish like tuna though?

I have also heard it can help fish suffering from mild barotrauma (although obviously it wouldn't be as effective as venting the fish). Does anybody know if this is true?

Lucky_Phill
16-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Not too sure Nic, but IMO, all fish can and do at times, swim faster than one could ' nosedive ' the fish into the water from boatside....

Then again, it all depends if said fish has it's mouth open at the time of ' torpedo-ing "..... !!

Phill

Davemclean
16-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I hold the fish, head first in the flow, but I can imagine that is a very stupid thing to do if crocs/sharks are in the area, lol

Nic
17-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys... I guess I'll just stick with FRDC's 'Gently Does It' guidelines for now.

revs57
17-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure it really makes a lot of difference Nic. I've flipped them over the side, speared them, dropped them in, swum them...if a fish is gonna make it, its gonna make it.

I reckon the spearing thing has become popular with the media and TV coverage...a bit of spectator sport.

I'm not sure there could be much we could do to change the outcome after dragging them from the depths. Whatever way you choose, I reckon they need to be treated with respect.

Cheers

Rhys

Nic
17-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure there could be much we could do to change the outcome after dragging them from the depths. Whatever way you choose, I reckon they need to be treated with respect.

I agree Rhys. I have invested in one of the re-designed Garry Lilley's Release Weights (www.recfishwest.org.au/ReleaseWeight.htm), and I like to use circle hooks, but yes -- sometimes they're just not going to pull through. :-/