PDA

View Full Version : New tip for new Live Fibre

Cheech
14-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi all,

I bought a new 15-24 live fibre spin (for off shore). Used it on the weekend and sooo unimpressed. The problem is the tip. It is really small and the knot jamms on it on every drop. And I do not have fat knots as I use a braid/leader knot with a bimini which is about as thin as they get.

I had a look at all my other offhore rods and there is a big difference in all of them. The others are all a bigger hole than the live fibre and I have never had an issue with them.

So now I am in the situation to make the rod useable I have to modify it. what do you suggest with the tip replacement as I do not want a crappy job on a new $200.00 rod so not sure if I should attempt it myself. I have replaced guides and tips previously. I think my biggest concern is getting the old one off without wrecking it. Puting the new one on I would just use resin.

Cheech

sid_fishes
14-08-2007, 09:50 PM
cheech. mate what size is the last runner b4 the tip,get one to match the size, [but you have to get a size of the rod end first]then slowly with a sharp bladecut the resin/wrap off, till the tip comes off. oh bugger it just ask stu, i can see how to do it just cant explain it

grave41
14-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Get the old ciggy lighter out and warm it up grab the pliers and go for it .It should come off easy if its warm enough. Get the verniers out and measure the tip and head off to the shop. Give them tip diameter and runner size you want ex;8 mm,10mm 12mm. Come back and glue it on with 24hr araldite. Job done..
Graham

Ps Dont over heat it.

Stuart
15-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Good advice from Graham, just a tip mate " no pun intended" dont twist and pull the tip off, warm it then pull in a straight line. If you twist the tip as your trying to get it off then you will stuff the blank in the erea. Once the tip is off then dip the tip of the blank in cold water to cool the resin down. By the way, from memory those tip sizes should be around 2.4 or 2.6mm, I would use a UST 10/2.6.

Stu

Cheech
15-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I will give it a go myself then. I had heard about heating but was not sure if that was correct.

The tip is a lot smaller than the second last runner. Probably only 5 or 6 mil. But the second last runner is closer to 10 mil.

I do have 2 pack 4 to 1 resin at home that I used on my boat. Would that be better to use than araldite? or is it just as good for this application?

paul vonderwall
15-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Hi all,

I bought a new 15-24 live fibre spin (for off shore). Used it on the weekend and sooo unimpressed. The problem is the tip. It is really small and the knot jamms on it on every drop. And I do not have fat knots as I use a braid/leader knot with a bimini which is about as thin as they get.

I had a look at all my other offhore rods and there is a big difference in all of them. The others are all a bigger hole than the live fibre and I have never had an issue with them.

So now I am in the situation to make the rod useable I have to modify it. what do you suggest with the tip replacement as I do not want a crappy job on a new $200.00 rod so not sure if I should attempt it myself. I have replaced guides and tips previously. I think my biggest concern is getting the old one off without wrecking it. Puting the new one on I would just use resin.

Cheech dont over heat the tip as it makes it soft and will brake just quickand easy i do have some trouble my self as well with taking off the tips it weakins it then brakes because i have been there so i bet other people have had the same thing as well but i dont know