PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic window replace

ShMiCk
14-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi there, I recently decided to change the acrylic windows on my 1/2 cabin boat. The front windows were a breeze to install as they had an aluminium frame. But the side windows are held to the fibreglass boat chassis with a piece of rubber around the acrylic windows.

Over the weekend I tried to somehow put the windows in and the rubber without any luck.

Does anyone know the trick on installing these windows? Or know anyone that can actually fit these for me? I live in Sydney.

Cheers.

blaze
14-08-2007, 05:52 PM
put the rubber around the window, run a piece of heavy string around the outside of the rubber in the grove. Now sit the window in the frame (for want of a better word)with the bottom fitted (frame in grove). Now press the window back, try to push it in, then get some one to slowly draw the string from the inside. This will peel the rubber out over the frame. Hey presto. It can be a bitch of a job.
It may also have a keyed rubber which is a different process. Make sure the key is out. Fit rubber to frame, fit window into frame (may need a little screw driver to just pull the rubber back to get window in). Lube up the key grove with some deteregnt and fit key (can be a little difficult and easier if you have a key tool)
clear as mud
cheers
blaze