PDA

View Full Version : Tassie lost a fisho of the rocks today

blaze
13-08-2007, 06:59 PM
One of my favorite headlands to fish, a place that you need an eye wide open all the time as it can be mirror flat and the ground swell will build until one dumps on you.
Been a few washed in over the years but from memory, never a life lost before today
My thoughts are with his family
Blaze

ffejsmada
13-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Sad to hear.
I was at Marrawah July '06 and saw these guys fishing. Swell was 6-8', there's no way I would of been there although they did know what they were doing.
Is this anywhere near where the bloke was washed off Blaze?

Jeff

blaze
13-08-2007, 09:02 PM
thats the spot I thought it was, but appently it was further down the coast, condition would be simular though.

Greg P
13-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Tragic news - thoughts to the families affected

bugman
14-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Blaze,

Just spent a week over the heads at Strahan. To put it bluntly the weather was horrific. Wind gusts were up to 100kph and the swell was averaging 8m.

Macquarie heads was a mess of angry whitewater and foam from the beach to about 1km out to sea.

The jetty we tie the boat to on the southern side was nearly under the water was backed up so bad. Getting back across was certainly an interesting experience.

Strahan itself was nearly under with the harbour lapping all the major warves.

But you wouldn't beleive it. The Heads caretaker said there were two blokes out fishing in their boat the day we came back. You have to shake your head.

Brett

blaze
14-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Bugman
The weather was the same up here and the swells hadnt had time to abait, in saying that the pics I seen on the news showed relitive calm seas, simular to the pics above although slightly different location. The floods washed away the tayatea bridge which would be 40-50 foot above the water and it flooded to the deck height.
blaze

sid_fishes
14-08-2007, 07:49 PM
to those that lost loved ones, my thoughts are with you at this time ,ian

haggis
14-08-2007, 09:12 PM
thoughts and prayers to the fishermans family .
haggis .

theclick
15-08-2007, 12:06 AM
It's sad to know that a life was lost, but reassuring to know that it was lost doing something in which they loved