PDA

View Full Version : new wrap

jan
13-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Well had today off and thought I'd do another "spot" wrap as the black, white and greay one was ok but thought the blues might look better.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0036.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0038.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0040.jpg

Cheers, Jan.

sid_fishes
13-08-2007, 07:34 PM
jan, thats another fine wrap, and i like the blues . do you mark it out like roz does or do you use a program such as the viswrap cheers ian

jan
13-08-2007, 09:09 PM
G'day Ian,
I used to do it "old School" but a pain in the backside. VisualWrap saves time which is important to me at the moment because I have all the repairs and rebuilds from the shop to do etc etc so my "free" time has to be used well. The ease of VisualWrap makes so much more sense ie, measuring tip and butt end, getting taper view, printing out layout threads, cutting taper, sticking to rod and scribing the points is too easy. One of the main things I like is the ability to put the madeira colour chart in the program and changing the colours in the pattern to see how it will look in the 3D section. All in all I'd save a couple of hours if I had to do the planning, calculating etc. This way I can have a pattern spinning on the screen the way I want and ready to print out.
Cheers, Jan.

finga
13-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Looks real nice mate. :)
Are those types of wraps hard to close??
I've only ever done wraps with the black bands were you can hide a lot of problems when closing and looking at those it seems it would be hard to close if there is much difference in rod DIA's at the start of the wrap and end of the wrap.

jan
13-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I still have a few issues with closing the wrap properly but getting better as it comes down to getting the cross wraps right the first time and packing the correct way. Meaning if you pack too hard one way then that part will move slightly to one side which means on one side of that area there will be a bigger gap than on the other side so wont close properly. This one didn't close that well either but fortunately isn't too noticable.
Cheers, Jan.

finga
14-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Those printed out tapered views with the measurements marked are brilliant eh :D

roz
14-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Wish you would'nt wave those wraps under my nose Jan!!!!

It looks amazing & I'm really impressed.... me thinks blue is your colour.

I'm still a little gun shy of maderia after my first experience with it, but willing to give it a go simply to get the colour range.

I wrapped a scale pattern for Grahame not long ago. He wanted various shades of mauves & purples, which I just didn't have, my gudebrod collection doesn't provide the range, so I did it in shades of green instead... still turned out fine.

I will PM you.

cheers r.

jan
14-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks all, appreciate the nice words. Yes Finga the taper view is brilliant. Roz, just use what I said to use as I've been using it with Madeira and have not had one problem with it. (remember don't rub your eyes or other parts as can sting quite badly, lol) So much easier to use than CP and the colours stay pretty much the same only a very shade bit darker but its not worth worrying about.
Cheers, Jan.

paul vonderwall
15-09-2007, 06:06 AM
hi jan paul here nice work i dont have time to do the pattern side of it as work early mornings as iam a diabetic work dont let me have time off so from me to u if was judge at rod show i would give you a 100% keep it up very nice