PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bargain???

roz
13-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I've picked up eight packets of cork tiles from the Op shop, the packets look quite old although the cork is in perfect condition.

Each packet has four tiles each = 32.

Each tile is 300mm x 300mm x 8.5mm or 12"x12"x3/8" in pre metric. It all comes from Portugal.

The entire eight packets cost me $8.00.

I know I could quite easily cut these into the right size to build rod grips.

I need to know what type of glue should be used, as well as any other helpful info.

r.

BenatCoffs
13-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I

I need to know what type of glue should be used, as well as any other helpful info.

r.

Roz,

I use this stuff from Ross, is very nice to use and sets up flexible.

http://www.therodworks.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4668&category_id=200&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

I'd be interested to see how the tiles come up as I would have thought they would be chunks of cork glued into tiles with rubber cement - but may come up good!

Use an 1.25 or 1.5" hole saw to cut the rings out.

roz
13-08-2007, 06:32 PM
It's obviously cork pieces bonded together, it is quite flexable & virtually no gaps. the colours are great.

What type of glue?

& I only have a couple of G clamps.

r.

Chimo
13-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Roz

May I suggest you contact these people

They have layed our cork floors and have vast knowledge about cork and fastening it.

Talk to Alberto if you can but Debbie (ithink) will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck with it

Cheers
Chimo

Marques Flooring

2/ 30 Lawrence Drv Nerang 4211

(07) 5578 4665Fax

(07) 5596 4650

www.marquesflooring.com.au (http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/listingLink.do?url=www.marquesflooring.com.au&logData=)

finga
13-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Bargain Roz...real bargain.
Any more??
:D

blaze
13-08-2007, 09:59 PM
what about glueing the sheets together to make up about 2 inches, then to clamp them you could use a pile of heavy books or simular. Cut the piece out with the holesaw (cut from both sides if required) to the rough diameter. Now if you want to join 2 or 3 of your 2 inch pieces together, buy a piece of threaded bar (bunnings, mitre 10 or simular) long enough to thread the pieces on and then put a washer either end and a nut, just wind the nuts up until you have a nice clamp pressure. Now you have a rough out grip.
cheers
blaze
ps
or give the whole lot to finga and say please.

roz
13-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Roz,

I use this stuff from Ross, is very nice to use and sets up flexible.

http://www.therodworks.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4668&category_id=200&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

I'd be interested to see how the tiles come up as I would have thought they would be chunks of cork glued into tiles with rubber cement - but may come up good!

Use an 1.25 or 1.5" hole saw to cut the rings out.

Sorry Ben I was in a rush before and didn't read your reply properly.

thanks very much for that information.

r.

roz
13-08-2007, 10:26 PM
what about glueing the sheets together to make up about 2 inches, then to clamp them you could use a pile of heavy books or simular. Cut the piece out with the holesaw (cut from both sides if required) to the rough diameter. Now if you want to join 2 or 3 of your 2 inch pieces together, buy a piece of threaded bar (bunnings, mitre 10 or simular) long enough to thread the pieces on and then put a washer either end and a nut, just wind the nuts up until you have a nice clamp pressure. Now you have a rough out grip.
cheers
blaze
ps

Yep Blaze,

I received a detailed PM from Scott, so I'm off to the hardware in the next week or so.

Hoping I can post up a detailed pic of something nice when it's finished...

thanks again

roz

finga
14-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Gees your name is mud here at the moment Blaze.
The cook just read that and nearly had a fit.
Something like "Can't get anything done at home and every other bast--d lining work up for you...sh-t" was said. I was then bluntly reminded about the painting in the dining room that was started about 3 years ago and not finished and the gutters that need changing and the patio deck that needs redecking and the spoiler falling off the beemer (but it is only a beemer) and...and.....;D
Ooh dear...I better do some painting and get some brownie points if I want to eat in the next week or so. Ta mate :-/

Lucky I'm off to mum and dads tomorrow for a couple of days to help with my nieces cubby house.
At least I'll get a decent feed there ;D

Cheers then
Scott :D

roz
14-08-2007, 02:24 PM
:-X OOOOooooPs!!! not going there

grave41
14-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Scott ,nothing like a good feed and some piece and quiet{ im safe the other half is not here] .Toys to go.

Roz , Most epoxys will do the job in cluding Z poxy from toyworld.Get the 24hr one and also your runners its cheaper than other brands and it is also flexible.

Gotta go pack some gear bye
Graham