PDA

View Full Version : Repainting Tinnie Query

Tailortaker
13-08-2007, 12:37 PM
G'day all, I'm thinking about repainting my tinnie as it's pretty scratched up on one side, I was going to remove all stckers,rub back, respray than put some better graphics on it, My question is what sort of paint should I be using and what sort of price tag should I expect ? Any advice on this project would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers TT
________
Curvy live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/curvy/)

choppa
13-08-2007, 01:03 PM
grant,,,, undoubtably you have seen the reno i'm doing on mine and this question was raised in the early stages of the job,,,,

i spoke to the owner of paint city in currimundi,,,,(a few doors down from where i'm based at work),,, he advised that he had recently undergone a paint job on his 15 footer in enamel,,,,,,

i thought about placing a 2 pac job on it through our paint/panel man,,,, but this bloke insisted that for what i'm using it for,,, why go to the expense,,,,,and adamantly wanted me to go around and see his boat,,,

gotta tel ya,,, it still looked good,,, after 18 MONTHS,,, on the water each weekend nearly

so i thought,,, nothing ventured nothing gained

preparation is the key i think however,,,, i gave mine a thorough scouring ( the old paint believe it or not was simply enamel also) and liberal coats of etch pro

once happy,,, 3 layers of black midnight,,, with one more to go

the paint had a squirt of additional hardener,,, but that was all,,,

i was going to apply a sealant,, but have changed my mind here as i don't think it needs it

if you need a hand with the painting etc etc let me know,,,, i'll be tinkering with mine over the next few weeks so i'll be home bound for awhile

choppa

Tailortaker
13-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks Choppa, I was just about to PM you to ask you what you used.
Cheers Grant
________
R1100R (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1100R)

MR C OTTER
13-08-2007, 05:09 PM
hi guys.what size is your tinny and age ,:)can give you a rough idea how much

Tailortaker
13-08-2007, 07:34 PM
It's a 3.9 quintrex, 1994 model.
________
HARMED BY ZOLOFT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

Lovey80
13-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi TT, make sure you take note when taking the stickers off. The silicone in the glue can spread onto a large surface and this will stop the paint sticking properly (Can really screw the job up) Use a razor to get them off and use thinners to clean the surface thoroughly before hitting anything with wet and dry paper.

As Choppa said preparation is the key, if your only 90% happy at undercoat stage, get it right(rub back or what ever) and go another coat so your 100% happy before you think about using the paint of your choice. If the enamel gets eggshell on it dont worry too much a good buff will cut it out.

Cheers Chris

Seahorse
13-08-2007, 09:25 PM
i would got 2 pac. Auto 2 pac is just fine. If you go to the troble of all the prep work why do in enamel, even if u do put bit hardener in it. That will help it maintain its gloss bit longer but will not outlast 2 pack. Can pick up 4 litres white for $120, 2 lit hard $50. Epoxy pimer if need to fill scratches. 5 litre pac $70.
If dont need the fill just single pac etch it. 4 litres $50.
thinners, $30
that should do it. the rest is up to u and the painter. I know the costs cause i sell it.

cheers
greg

Dan5
13-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Wattle poly u 400 with super etch and citra force to get rid of sticker gum.One litre off etch prime will do a boat your size mate.Dan.........

choppa
14-08-2007, 06:31 AM
i would got 2 pac. Auto 2 pac is just fine. If you go to the troble of all the prep work why do in enamel, even if u do put bit hardener in it. That will help it maintain its gloss bit longer but will not outlast 2 pack. Can pick up 4 litres white for $120, 2 lit hard $50. Epoxy pimer if need to fill scratches. 5 litre pac $70.
If dont need the fill just single pac etch it. 4 litres $50.
thinners, $30
that should do it. the rest is up to u and the painter. I know the costs cause i sell it.

cheers
greg

greg,,, i agree with your comments re 2 pac,,,, it certainly does outweigh longetivity of the job,,,,, but if $ are short

1 litre of black midnight cost me $23
2 litres of etch pro cost me $ 30
1 litre of acetone $8

spray equipment standard compressor/gun i own,,,,and picked an early morning with no wind to splash it on

2 pac needs a booth,,,, additional cost

not throwing mud cause 2 pac was the way i was heading with my reno,,,,, but as stated above,,, i had to try it out as the tinny is a 92 model with original red paint in enamel,,,,, looked fine for its age,,, so i thought why not

choppa

Seahorse
14-08-2007, 01:34 PM
hey choppa.
no probs mate. if u ever do it again see me for paint. i will look after ya. hope it all works well.

cheers
greg

lippa
14-08-2007, 04:56 PM
wattyl polyu 400 was an awesome product, didnt know they still made it. all the better if they do. where do ya work seahorse, that expoxy primer at that price is a bargin, what brand is it? im using nason ful-base atm its around $220-$250 for an 8litre pack. can you wet on wet the epoxy you sell?

cheers

lippa

zaraspook
14-08-2007, 08:26 PM
hey sprayin enamel with enamel add is the same as spraying 2k and is illegal although can be done in the right conditions and the job would be alot better in poly u. i have painted a few boats one in sterling marine the other in debeer automotive but through experience wattyl poly u would be the product id use. i do this for a livin so if u need any advise send me a message enamel would be alright for the type of boat u describe but it all comes down to $

Seahorse
14-08-2007, 08:41 PM
hey lippa
u cant get poyu400 any more, they changed its name to polydur or something like that. poly u 400 was ok.
the epoxy primer i got is hichem. we use it in the industrial market, wet on wet ok. its 4:1. we stock all auto and industrial.
zaraspook
cheaper 2 add 2 pac hard at same rate as enamel add, 16:1. does same job.
i would rather use auto 2:1 than wattyl 4:1.
just my opinion, finish is little better.

cheers
greg

MR C OTTER
23-08-2007, 11:09 AM
HI .There are many procedures to paint a tinny and paints available ,The proper way for bare alloy is firstly is key the suface with 80 grit then alloy wash hull,
allogold wash(corrosion treatment) then a wattle 4 to 1 etch is applyed,after 24 hours a light sand with 240 grit paper then sikaflex all joints till dry.
Three coats of marine polyurathane with linear shoud be applyed .A tinny these size done by a marine boat painter will cost around $ 660inc.( bare hull)
I hope this can help you out:)

lippa
23-08-2007, 11:16 AM
at $660 even i wouldnt even paint me own boat!!!!!
dam thats cheap

DR
23-08-2007, 11:38 AM
perfection 2 pac, can be brushed or rolled. i have used this on aluminium panels, easy to use works great, looks good.
http://www.yachtpaint.com/australia/default.asp
BCF had the most competitive price..

have a look down left hand side at the boat painters guide..

DHM77
23-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Mr. C Otter,
Could you please recommend somewhere that I could get my 4m tinny painted for around $660 - I would defintely do it at that price.
Regards,
Dave