PDA

View Full Version : trailers, how to.

trippajohn
12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
got a front wheel drive sedan,got it stuck at low tide at the end of a concrete boat ramp in the sand trying to pull my 4.2 tinnie out from a beach, lucky 4 me a 4bie came to the rescue and pulled us up. could i of have maybe unhooked the trailer and somehow get the tinnie on then maybe tow it up by using staps or something?

sandbankmagnet
12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
In an emergency I would have relaunched the boat and put in on shore. Trailers don't weight that much, but if you still couldn't get out, it would have been next to go. Maybe just time your trips for a higher tide pickup/dropoff. Where were you at?

Stuck cars and incoming tides are not a good combination.

rayken1938
13-08-2007, 08:00 AM
I think that problem would have been loss of traction due to weight of trailer on towbar.
If so winch boat on trailer then chock trailer wheels to prevent whole sheebang rolling backwards then lower jockey wheel and disconnect trailer and wind up jockey wheel and remove trailer from draw bar.
Then lower jockey wheel ( If you dont it will probably bend whilst towing)
Then drive car foward onto solid ground.
You then have 2 options.
I . Use winch to wind trailer up to car.
2 . Which i usually use is to use anchor rope attached to base of winch post to snig trailer up to level ground where it is easier to reattach trailer. You just have to take it slowly while snigging the trailer up the ramp if the jockey wheel is only 6inches in diamater it will tend to dig in. I replaced mine with a 10 inch swivel pneumatic one for that reason and it works like a dream. I had to modify the mounting point for the jockey wheel so that it was higher so that I could lower it to remove the trailer from the car.
Ray