PDA

View Full Version : E-tec Question.

KAGEY1
12-08-2007, 03:31 PM
G'day All. Just New To The Site. Need Some Info On E-tecs. There Could Be Some Info Elsewhere In The Forum, But I Saw Too Many Pages!! Want A Motor About 90 Hp For A 550 Formosa I've Ordered. Struggling With All The Hype Of No Service For 3 Yrs. Does Anyone Know How Much It Is And How Often After That? Also, Are They Heavy On Oil? Was Told You Must Run Synthetic. Supposed To Be Expensive. Good On Fuel, But You Lose It In Extra Oil? Help!!!!!!

krazyfisher
12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
1. I dont like the idea of not servicing for 3yrs
2.oil is dearer but you will use alot less

I dont have an etec but I have just put a new DI 115 on my boat and can only say how happy I am with it.

Mad-One
12-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm about to order my formosa 550 and i'm putting a 115hp suzi 4 banger on it. Should be all I need

Cheers Mad

TheSaint
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM
mate this might help you out..

http://www.ausbream.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2784&SearchTerms=etec

KAGEY1
12-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Good One. Thanks

sea raider
13-08-2007, 08:57 AM
mate this might help you out..

http://www.ausbream.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2784&SearchTerms=etec

Jeez,

I must say how much more objective even the critics are on that site, they dont seem to be afraid of the new technology and one even apologised when he realised he had made a false statement.

Maybe some on Ausfish might learn from them.

Cheers

Geoff

sea raider
13-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Oh, and Kagey, I have a 90HP Etec but I wont tell you how good it is on this site, there just seem to be too many people on it who are ignorant of the benefits of the Etecs.

PM me if you want more information.

Cheers

Geoff

timddo
13-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Question for E-tec owners, 3 year no servicing and 3 year warranty.

So i brought my e-tec on 1/1/2006 , so next service will be 1/1/09

Done the 3 years to date is 3/1/09 . Had first service on this day. Mechanic finds problems in the motor - i assume no warranty ???????. Usually when the car gets service the mechanic gives me a list of what needs repairing , so outboards would be the same?

just an example.

bakes
13-08-2007, 10:13 AM
hey kagey, ive just had my 90 serviced at 280 hours cost me $460 had to have a bit of other work done aswell like fuel lines replaced and stuff. if you want i can copy the receipt on to the computer for you to see the costs of everything. Everything seemed to be fine and running good, The guy that serviced it recomended that i should service it every 100 hours from now on. From what i have seen make sure you buy from a reputable dealer.

juju
13-08-2007, 03:13 PM
$ 55 for the Oil, lasts for ages

Im about to get a service done on mine, havent done 100 hours yet, just going to get it done once a year.....its not like your not allowed to get it serviced if you want...

juju
13-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh and petrol wise...my 75 gets in around 0.4 lt per klm....mixed running ( dont see the point in just slow or just flat out...prefer to take an average reading)...sandgate to Mud and back between 16-20 lts

MEGA'bite
13-08-2007, 05:42 PM
KAGEY1 have you concidered the merc optimax or the yamaha hpdi i have the optimax and a friend has a yammie and cant folt them and i think all the reports state the merc is better on fuel. Not trying to up set any one.

KAGEY1
13-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow!!!! Info Overload. Thanks You Blokes. I Think I've Made Up My Mind.
E-tec It Is!! Now I Just Have To Hurry Up And Wait For The Flamin' Boat!
Appreciate All The Posts. A Pity We're All At The Computer Instead Of Fishin' Though.

KAGEY1
13-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Flattyfinder, Yeah, I Did Look At Them, And The Economy Seems To Be Similar. I've Had 2 Yammies And Never Touched 'em But I Like The Torque Out Of The Hole And It Is Quieter At Trolling Speeds And At Wot.
Appreciate Ya Thoughts Though

Lovey80
13-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Kagey1, I have a 40 HP Evinrude (Carbie) 2 Smoke on my boat at the moment. I'm looking at up grading to a 50 HP E-tec once i start having problems/get cashed up which ever comes first. I noticed you mentioned noise at trolling speeds. One thing to be aware of and has come up in this forum before is a probelm with E-tecs spending continuous time trolling. Aparently they don't like it at extended periods at a certain RPM range. From memory it also states it in the fine print somewhere too....not to sure but ill do a search and get back to you if i can find it. Just thought I would mention just in case you plan on a bit of trolling.

Cheers Chris

Lovey80
13-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Kagey1, below is the link. I think the bottom line is more than 40% below 1000rpm and your not covered..... Plug foul up etc etc. It's not enough to put me off just yet. I was out with Russ81 today. He's got a new 115 E-tec and after a few minor dramas it's doing well. I was impressed with it for sure.

Cheers Chris

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=113392&highlight=etec

disorderly
13-08-2007, 10:16 PM
hey kagey, ive just had my 90 serviced at 280 hours cost me $460 had to have a bit of other work done aswell like fuel lines replaced and stuff. if you want i can copy the receipt on to the computer for you to see the costs of everything. Everything seemed to be fine and running good, The guy that serviced it recomended that i should service it every 100 hours from now on. From what i have seen make sure you buy from a reputable dealer.

bakes,

It would be interesting to see a copy of the receipt if you dont mind.thanks

Scott

bakes
14-08-2007, 05:06 PM
The trolling issues you guys go on about i dont think is a drama ive put 160 hours on mine since christmas and most of that was trolling as long as you give them a squirt every now and then they will be fine, just typical 2 strokes.
Disorderly, i can do that mate will get it done over the next few days

pursuit001
04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
go the etecs great fuel econmey pretty quiet and very punchy.

Getout
05-03-2008, 06:45 AM
This is all new to me. Nothing of the sort in my e-tec warranty and I've had one for two years. Done lots of trolling, never had a misfire.
Maybe it only happens in a certain model or they changed the warranty? I'm sure that I would have been contacted.