PDA

View Full Version : Bag Limits " In possesion question "

Vitamin Sea
11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi all

Looking for some advice;

I frequently go fishing with just my Son and myself, he is 13.

Question is, is there a minimum age for inclusion in the bag, in possesion limit on the boat

Eg: Can we keep 10 Snapper between us? Been through the DPI & F website, can't find anything that relates to age, except for crabbing ( 5 pot's per person,15 yrs & over )

Thanks

Bill

disorderly
11-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure but I interpret it as the number of fisherman on board x individual bag limit(just like you have stated).
Your son at 13 is certainly capable of hauling in the fish.I wonder about mine,though ,at only 6 yr's old.
It might be difficult to explain 6 x15kg spanish mackeral on board between the 2 of us.(hardly likely to happen though)
I hope someone has a definitive answer as I take my young fella out after spotties and include him in the total bag limit tally.

Scott

Vitamin Sea
11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi all

Looking for some advice;

I frequently go fishing with just my Son and myself, he is 13.

Question is, is there a minimum age for inclusion in the bag, in possesion limit on the boat

Eg: Can we keep 10 Snapper between us? Been through the DPI & F website, can't find anything that relates to age, except for crabbing ( 5 pot's per person,15 yrs & over )

Thanks

Bill

Correction, typo, 4 pot's per person

Nowhere Bob
11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
You got it right.
A person is a person - no age limit.
I can hear the howls of protest, but thats the way the rules are written.

Sea-Dog
12-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Also, supposedly the "in possession" limit also applies to the freezer at home.

What happens if you have 5 people live at home (and corresponding numbers of fish in freezer/fridge) and only one is at home when your freezer gets inspected.

Does the one person get pinged as they have more than their personal limit in the freezer?

(Never gonna happen anyway, just a hypothetical question)

Poodroo
12-08-2007, 09:21 AM
The bag limits apply to a per fishing person basis so yes you can have 10 fish in possession technically. My question is based on time frames. If you spent 2 days on the water is the "In Possession" rule still the same amount or is it a "per day" quota meaning you are allowed 20 fish for two people in two days? (By the way I know the answer but just wanted to see the responses from other fisher people.) ;)

Poodroo

Sea-Dog
12-08-2007, 09:40 AM
What applies? - see my previous post.

Unless you eat some of the previous day's catch before catching more. (up to limit of 10 as per example.) (10 what though Poodroo?)

- Ross

loophole
12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I dont think thre is an age limit . would be hard to set one though i mean what age would be the min and for what species

snelly1971
12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
The bag limits apply to a per fishing person basis so yes you can have 10 fish in possession technically. My question is based on time frames. If you spent 2 days on the water is the "In Possession" rule still the same amount or is it a "per day" quota meaning you are allowed 20 fish for two people in two days? (By the way I know the answer but just wanted to see the responses from other fisher people.) ;)

Poodroo

Our Bag Limits have similar grey areas...

5 crayfish per day...or 10 in possesion....

Question is ...What is classed as a day..????

Example....you could go fishing at 11.30 pm catch 5 crayfish then wait to 12.01 am then catch 5 more then come home as this should be classed as two days..????

Cheers Mick

timddo
12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
If your old enough to fish, thenyou can have the bag limit, is my interpretation. If the DPI checks you freezer, Those snapper belong to mum, dad, sister inlaw , cousin, friend of a couson, friend of a friend of a couson and friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin. i sometimes buy 20 kgs of prawns for parties at the shop.?/ 10 litre limit. The only time the dpi will check your house is if you have done something illegal + they need a warrant anyway.

a 10 year kid fishes from the brisbane river and catches a legal bream - i don't think the dpi are going to say, mate throw that back, your illegal????????

Mr__Bean
14-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I asked this exact question when pulled over some months ago coming back into the Pumistone Passage.

When I lived in Victoria I used to go out for a couple of days at a time and I asked the inspectors down there about catch limit in that case. They explained that they permitted an earlier days catch to be on board. They went on to explain that they know very well if the fish are a day old, they also now by the look of the fisherman whether he has been out more than a day and they know by the gear in the boat.

When I asked the guys here in QLD they said no, limit is limit regardless of how long you have been out.

- Darren

joeT
15-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I don't think they can or will check your freezer at home, especially for snapper, after all, you can buy as many as you like from a shop and freeze them too...

Nowhere Bob
17-08-2007, 08:28 AM
sorry y'all. double post;D

Nowhere Bob
17-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Unless the deckie puts his hand up and says "They are my fish I left / put them there", then the skipper gets the ticket / or invitation to go to court as he is controll of the vessel annd everything on board.
There is a limit to the "size of the ticket" Remember: more than 5 fish per person on board over the posession limit = court action.
There is wiggle room on the "knowledge" part of the offence, but to date no magistrate has believed that the skipper "didn't know the fish were in the esky."

Good luck to you and your barister if you can set the precedent.

1lastcast
17-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Bag limits are bag limits per person not per adult
If your deckie done that and you were checked by the dpi i bet my left nut you would get bent over and shafted good and proper for it because your IN POSESSION . I also bet the only one time it happened would be the time you got checked even though you would normally be law abiding as far as bag limits go i think the dpi does a great job but it allways seems to be the guy who makes an inoccent error that gets done over not that bastard at the local ramp catching undersize bream ( buy the way if your out there mate sorry for kicking that bucket into the water and letting all your baby bream go ). ;)

And as far as your freezer at home goes i dont think they can even ckeck it, but if so how can they prove you didnt buy them from your local fisho

perko
19-08-2007, 10:50 AM
When we used to snapper fish the sunny coast we would come in with our bag with a crew of 3. Often we would get home late so we would head back to the ramp to clean them the next day. What if only 2 of the 3 people went to clean the fish. I assume we would have been fined so we allways rounded up the whole crew much to the missus disgust hindering the sleep in.

Also what if you bought 6 whole snapper and went to clean them at a public cleaning table without a receipt? Who gets a receipt for food anyway?