PDA

View Full Version : STABI 509 wfr

deadbeatloser
10-08-2007, 11:19 PM
hi guys my dilema is im about 2 purchase a stabi craft 459, but now want te 509wide, already hav 60efi fs yammie. maximum 4 the 459 but 2 small 4 the 509w. 459 280kg. 509w 430kgs.At the moment i have 6kilos per hp. wit 459 6.4kilos per hp, 509w 9kilos per hp. many performance reports on yamaha site say that it would push that weight? i have a 4.73 tinny at 244kg top speed 64ks/cruise 45ks even with 2 mates aboard 4 an extra180ks plus gear. 509wis recommened at 75hp min 100hp max. dealer ship in nsw sells 509w wit 60 2stoke, but dealer in bris says it would b under powered. i dont wont 2 fly but i dont want b draggn me butt at turtle pace .would appreciate an advice from sum one who can lead me on my way! 459 wood b more practical financial as i could use motor n trailer from the new boat i bort 4 mths ago. heres hope n i get it rite this time ... thanx again ........don;D

deadbeatloser
11-08-2007, 12:21 PM
hi guys my dilema is im about 2 purchase a stabi craft 459, but now want te 509wide, already hav 60efi fs yammie. maximum 4 the 459 but 2 small 4 the 509w. 459 280kg. 509w 430kgs.At the moment i have 6kilos per hp. wit 459 6.4kilos per hp, 509w 9kilos per hp. many performance reports on yamaha site say that it would push that weight? i have a 4.73 tinny at 244kg top speed 64ks/cruise 45ks even with 2 mates aboard 4 an extra180ks plus gear. 509wis recommened at 75hp min 100hp max. dealer ship in nsw sells 509w wit 60 2stoke, but dealer in bris says it would b under powered. i dont wont 2 fly but i dont want b draggn me butt at turtle pace .would appreciate an advice from sum one who can lead me on my way! 459 wood b more practical financial as i could use motor n trailer from the new boat i bort 4 mths ago. heres hope n i get it rite this time ... thanx again ........don;D

help help..................

fishing111
11-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I would'nt take those weights to seriously "280kg 459, 430kg 509". There bare hull weights with no batteries, fuel,gear etc,etc.. You seem to have answered your own question in regard to a 60hp on a 509, in that it would be a fair bit light on. Sure you could get away with 60 pony's on the back but it would be underpowered in my mind. I suppose it comes down to intended usage, where you go fishing, how many people you take with you and what sort of loads you carry,also if you intend on upgrading in a few years time or holding on to it. If you do plan on upgrading i think you would have a lot of troule trying to sell it with a 60hp donk on the back. Anyhows good luck with it.

joeT
11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Is it possible to sell the 60 and upgrade? Maybe if money is an issue go for a 2 stroke.

I'm looking at the same boat (509) and plan to stick a 90 on it. I guess a 60 with the right prop should do ok if you will regularly travel alone or lightly loaded, but if you plan full boat of gear with 4 mates, I reckon it would struggle. The dealership in NSW selling them with a 60 does that to get the price under the magic 30k mark.

You also mention you can use your existing trailer with the 459. To me, it sounds like a substantial upgrade gap for you between the 459 and 509 - ie. just a hull upgrade or a complete rig upgrade. Really depends on your financials.

As paul mentioned, you can get the 459 now, use it for years, and then upgrade when you grow out of it.

Gozz
11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
If you send a email to MY marine (Theo) in Victoria and ask him what he recommends,they deal in the stabi caraft and I remember they had a 509w with a 60hp 4st yammy at there test day a couple of weeks ago.
I'm sure he'll be happy to help you.

deadbeatloser
11-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Is it possible to sell the 60 and upgrade? Maybe if money is an issue go for a 2 stroke.

I'm looking at the same boat (509) and plan to stick a 90 on it. I guess a 60 with the right prop should do ok if you will regularly travel alone or lightly loaded, but if you plan full boat of gear with 4 mates, I reckon it would struggle. The dealership in NSW selling them with a 60 does that to get the price under the magic 30k mark.

You also mention you can use your existing trailer with the 459. To me, it sounds like a substantial upgrade gap for you between the 459 and 509 - ie. just a hull upgrade or a complete rig upgrade. Really depends on your financials.

As paul mentioned, you can get the 459 now, use it for years, and then upgrade when you grow out of it.

hi joe t.thank you for your advice .95 % of my fishing is done solo and with only esky n fishn gear. i think i hav to hav the 509 . 4 sale R1 yamaha. lmho

deadbeatloser
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
thank you very much

If you send a email to MY marine (Theo) in Victoria and ask him what he recommends,they deal in the stabi caraft and I remember they had a 509w with a 60hp 4st yammy at there test day a couple of weeks ago.

thank you heaps for that i will give him a yell an see wat he reckons

deadbeatloser
12-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I would'nt take those weights to seriously "280kg 459, 430kg 509". There bare hull weights with no batteries, fuel,gear etc,etc.. You seem to have answered your own question in regard to a 60hp on a 509, in that it would be a fair bit light on. Sure you could get away with 60 pony's on the back but it would be underpowered in my mind. I suppose it comes down to intended usage, where you go fishing, how many people you take with you and what sort of loads you carry,also if you intend on upgrading in a few years time or holding on to it. If you do plan on upgrading i think you would have a lot of troule trying to sell it with a 60hp donk on the back. Anyhows good luck with it.
wont be selln this one , like you said trade up the motor down the trak .

nigelr
12-08-2007, 11:13 AM
DBL, with luck the 60 may suprise you. Do you have to cross any river bars?
Cheers.

deadbeatloser
12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
DBL, with luck the 60 may suprise you. Do you have to cross any river bars?
Cheers.
im not the most lucky guy but heres hope'n, caloundra bar in which will be only on the way in as i would be heading out only if the conditions permited. oooh i luv the 509w;D ;D ;D
they sell them with 60 2banger..????????????????????????????????????????? ??

joeT
12-08-2007, 09:47 PM

hi joe t.thank you for your advice .95 % of my fishing is done solo and with only esky n fishn gear. i think i hav to hav the 509 . 4 sale R1 yamaha. lmho

I know how you feel, I have to have a 509 too :D

Now I've had a think about it, I think you should get the 509, stick your 60 on it, and see how you go. Worse case scenario you find that its not perfect and that you upgrade the motor in the future. In which case you only lose out on the cost of fitting the motor on there and taking it off. Best case scenario is that it suits your needs just fine which would be a great result.

In terms of changeover of the motor if you decide to upgrade, a 90hp 2 stroke can be had for about $9k, so if you sell your 60 4 stroke its not that much changeover anyway.

deadbeatloser
13-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I know how you feel, I have to have a 509 too :D

Now I've had a think about it, I think you should get the 509, stick your 60 on it, and see how you go. Worse case scenario you find that its not perfect and that you upgrade the motor in the future. In which case you only lose out on the cost of fitting the motor on there and taking it off. Best case scenario is that it suits your needs just fine which would be a great result.

In terms of changeover of the motor if you decide to upgrade, a 90hp 2 stroke can be had for about $9k, so if you sell your 60 4 stroke its not that much changeover anyway.

tweed marine had 100 four stroke efi yamaha brand new for 10500. not a misprint. shows how much these bums make on stuff. i nmissed the last 12 by a coupla days. yeah joel t i think that is my plan . mite get n e tec next time..................................:o

deadbeatloser
13-08-2007, 04:26 PM

m8 thank you for putting me on to theo at MY MARINE in vicco, m8 wat a bloody helpful guy, spoke with him 2day an his info was soooooooooooooo helpful. U ROCK THEO8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Wayne Holland
12-10-2007, 07:32 AM
A 60HP 2 stroke would be a better option than a 4 stroke.

Tube_Worm
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Howdy DBL,
I own the 559 Stabi and as you have already resolved for yourself definately go for the 509 over the 459, not because they aren't great boats but just for the space factor. My mates 1st bought a 459 and within a year updated to the 559 - very costly mistake moneywise initially but they just couldn't handle the lack of room once you start loading in fishing gear, eskies etc.

As for motor size, if you can somehow spare the extra pennies try and get at least a 75hp on the back of the 509. I'm sure the 60 will push it along ok but you will always be cruising the thing at high revs to get any sought of speed up which will mean increased fuel use and shorter engine lifespan. Seeing that your 60 hp Yammi 4S is only a few months old you should get an excellent trade in on it if you were to upgrade.

Whatever you choose I can guarantee you that you will love the stabi !

cormorant
13-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Really have to do the test run yourself or talk to someone who has same boat. Ask what speed they get and what motor and prop with what load. It is never worth underpowering a boat as you will never find it's sweet running spot and it will cost you loads in fuel nd stress the motor

Keep asking someone will know and the dealers interstate may be worth a chat as a lot have been sold in NSW

I sometimes wondr if these guys hve ever weighted one of their production boats as they are often overweight- motors as well.
C

deadbeatloser
13-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Howdy DBL,
I own the 559 Stabi and as you have already resolved for yourself definately go for the 509 over the 459, not because they aren't great boats but just for the space factor. My mates 1st bought a 459 and within a year updated to the 559 - very costly mistake moneywise initially but they just couldn't handle the lack of room once you start loading in fishing gear, eskies etc.

As for motor size, if you can somehow spare the extra pennies try and get at least a 75hp on the back of the 509. I'm sure the 60 will push it along ok but you will always be cruising the thing at high revs to get any sought of speed up which will mean increased fuel use and shorter engine lifespan. Seeing that your 60 hp Yammi 4S is only a few months old you should get an excellent trade in on it if you were to upgrade.

Whatever you choose I can guarantee you that you will love the stabi !
thanx m8, i have already got me a new etec 90, and a trailer , and all the gear but boat hasnt arrived yet as it was gunna b here last week but 2 no avail, fingers crossed as i hav it booked in on friday to have motor fittd;D :P :-[ :-X :'( :D :) :( 8-) :o >:( ;)