PDA

View Full Version : Your best boat for offshore fishing

disorderly
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Just wondering what trailerboat everyone dreams of buying for offshore fishing if they could.(or maybe you already have it?)
My current favourite would be the Seafarer Voyager 6.8 with twin 150 E-tecs.
What a sweet rig.
Although in reality,if I do upgrade it will probably be a 6m centre console platey for practicality and affordability.

So what boats does everyones drool over?

Scott

Kerry
10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
May be you should define exactly what OFFSHORE is? :)

Obviously means many things to different people!

disorderly
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Sure kerry.I mean those of us who like to fish the shelf or the reefs nearby.
For me in FNQ this involves traveling about 40-70 odd km's out.Both trolling and bottom fishing.

Scott

Grand_Marlin
10-08-2007, 08:04 PM
If it is over the top of your gumboots ?

Edencraft
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Twin engined 23ft Boston Whaler

finding_time
10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Twin engined 23ft Boston Whaler

nah 56ft riv.:D

turtleshead
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
This will do me

seatime
10-08-2007, 10:22 PM
nah 56ft riv.:D

it'll be hard work towing any riv let alone a 56 fter ;)

my current choice of boat to handle solo, tow relatively easily (V8 cruiser on wish list too) store in a reasonably sized shed, maintain myself and doesn't require invading a Middle Eastern country to put fuel in, would be a Haines 600 Classic with twin OBs (haven't decided on size or brand yet). 8-)

mikeyh
10-08-2007, 10:22 PM
For trailer boats and real fishing machine...the Kevlacats are brilliant. Great ride, stable and more economical than similar size mono....superb in chop. They lag behind on creature comforts though.....
Go the 56 Riv Finding time!

Spaniard_King
11-08-2007, 06:21 AM
In reality I am very happy with what I am about to go and get wet this morning :)

Will post some picks of the day later on :D

reidy_g
11-08-2007, 07:09 AM
http://www.cruisecraft.com.au/outsider685.htm

captain rednut
11-08-2007, 07:24 AM
hi i am happi with the 680 patriot haines hunter thanks cr

sik008
11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
yer sames...680 patriot is a good offshore rig and andles the chop nicely. Has all the creature comforts as well....(680 patriot with 225 honda vtec) \

cheers alex

PinHead
11-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Rampage 45...Kenworth prime mover and low loader and mobile crane to launch and retrieve.

finding_time
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM

my current choice of boat to handle solo, tow relatively easily (V8 cruiser on wish list too) store in a reasonably sized shed, maintain myself and doesn't require invading a Middle Eastern country to put fuel in, would be a Haines 600 Classic with twin OBs (haven't decided on size or brand yet). 8-)

Gelsec

No need to tow a riv anywhere mate!;) just get in it and drive it there, townsville, cairns, new zealand:D

If it has to be a trailer boat well a 7m kevlacat will do the job very nicely, bloody big trailer though:D

block
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
go the Vogager, thay look great and would handle the same. i am very happy with my Victory so it will do me

Wahoo
11-08-2007, 05:53 PM
mmmmmmm, Scott, this sounds like a new boat is on the cards lol

the one i have now is great

Daz

Plastic_Magic
11-08-2007, 08:53 PM
The boat for the needs off a keen offshore fisher is a Kevlacat OFFSHORE 2400. What a boat all the fishing room and a nice comfy cab also. As with the 680 Patriot nice boats rides very nice but just lacks in that extra fishing room.

Cheers Plastic_Magic

OPTI
12-08-2007, 07:06 AM
how about the eden-craft 233 formula.one of the most referred to hulls of all time.theres a new 07 model just about to be released,transom mount not pod.still has 3 meters of cockpit 100litre bait tank 600lt of fuel and a double bed up front for overnighting.:P

aqua rat
12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Haines signature 702 fuel range 230nm cruise at 24nts at 23l per hour has toilet and shower if needed under 2.5m wide so dont need permit like all my mates with kevlar cats and better on fuel than any cat around this size and great to tow so heading up the coast is no big drama.And handles better than 680 patriot i have spent the last 3 months in !

Deiter
12-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, I am going to go down the same path as Gelsec with this one. Be nice to have a big boat that you could have a party on, but hey, we're talking fishing boats here.

Practicality, safety, ease of solo launch/ retrieve, towability, service/maintenance costs, fuel usage, range, overnight accomodation, and of course ride and comfort would be the key factors in my world.

I want a boat that i am not scared to use/ abuse, so build material is alloy or poly.
I want the best ride possible, underway, and at anchor, so hull count is 2. Self draining decks included.
I want it to be under 2.5 ton on trailer, so length is restricted to 6 metres or so.
It needs a berth forward with room for 2.
Drive on/ off trailer. Tandem. Goes without saying really.
I want a hardtop and clears for comfort and protection.
Hardtop needs to be folding/ collapsible for fitting into shed and reducing windage whilst towing on long hauls.
integrated eskies/ seatmounts with gas cooker.

Have i forgotten anything????
Oh yeah, I need two of those silky smooth Honda BF90's in each back corner.

If anybody finds or knows of this boats existance, pm me please.

Cheers,
Damo

seatime
12-08-2007, 04:14 PM

perusing all the specs, I'm looking at twin 115 e-tecs, or might just be able to squeeze 115 Suzi's on the back of a 600 Classic. BMT + V8 cruiser is going to be around $150+ K, looks a couple of the billylids will have a new home. :'(

seatime
12-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I am going to go down the same path as Gelsec with this one. Be nice to have a big boat that you could have a party on, but hey, we're talking fishing boats here.

Practicality, safety, ease of solo launch/ retrieve, towability, service/maintenance costs, fuel usage, range, overnight accomodation, and of course ride and comfort would be the key factors in my world.

I want a boat that i am not scared to use/ abuse, so build material is alloy or poly.
I want the best ride possible, underway, and at anchor, so hull count is 2. Self draining decks included.
I want it to be under 2.5 ton on trailer, so length is restricted to 6 metres or so.
Hardtop needs to be folding/ collapsible for fitting into shed and reducing windage whilst towing on long hauls.

Cheers,
Damo

pm's aren't gunna happen, this is out in the open now. guess you're considering something like;
saurian's borger cat
a sailfish
a jaycat
or ccc
in no particular order.

it's always fun to plan the next hole in the water.

disorderly
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Cheers,
Damo

Hi Damo,

I realize you have been looking at the cat options lately.
Much of your post also rings true with my needs but realistically why do you want a boat that has 2 motors and is heavy and difficult to handle solo?
I am really curious as to what has caused you to pursue the cat option rather than a 6-7 metre platey that would be so much more economical to own and run.

Scott

disorderly
12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
mmmmmmm, Scott, this sounds like a new boat is on the cards lol

the one i have now is great

Daz

Yeah Daz,

I would certainly like to upgrade but it wont happen for at least 12 months.Just doing some preliminary research as to what most other fisherman find most important.
What I would love to own and what I will inevitably end up with are a grand canyon's width apart,but if I am buying or getting a new boat built than I want it to include the things that are important to me.
Plenty of thinking to do!

Scott

Deiter
13-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Gelsec, yeah mate, one of those options would suit me down to the ground.

Disorderly, yes there are trade offs with having two motors, but i think the advantage of contingency is worth it for what i want to do. I love fishing offshore, but i love my family too, and want to make sure that i am going out and giving myself the best possible chance of getting back. I honestly believe that having another donk hanging off the back is worth the extra cost for me. However, i don't believe the running costs would be more with twin bf90's than say, an f200 yam that would be needed to push a 6-7m platey. Twin bf90's will run at 9L / hour each at cruise.

Now, i know the next question, "Why a cat then, why not a mono with twins?".
I got 2 answers for this one; ride/stability and safety. I haven't been in a mono that has a ride to compare with a cat 2/3rds its size.
Also, when i get a chance to get on the water, i want to get where i am going with minimum fuss to maximise fishing time. This means getting there as quick as reasonably possible, and the cat's ride enables this better than a mono.

Hope that explains my reasoning,
Damo

revs57
13-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Mine! After nearly 2 years in the water (come December) and 270 hours I wouldn't change a thing!

hungry6
13-08-2007, 05:50 PM
When I first looked to purchased my current boat, one that can handle water more than 6' deep, as this is the depth which I will drown if left in the drink long enough. I've asked around for alot of advice bought glass cat. running cost was the last issue I looked at, The number one priority was sea worthyness and safety. I've come up pretty much with what dieter said above and haven't looked back.
I rarely venture out in questionable weather conditions, it best have and not need then need and not have mentality.

goldie 70
13-08-2007, 07:23 PM
FISHER 580 MAXI !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the job for me !!!!!!!!!! and could not be happier