PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Mono

Nugget
10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
It is with deep sorrow I advise of the passing of Mono’s Sportfishing Adventures – the charter operation, not the man!
Regarded as one of the best charter operators on the east coast of Australia, Mono has decided to call it quits… retire…at least for now.
The motivation for his retirement is to spend more time with his young family on the small farm they have just bought a few kilometres from their current home.
Not charter fishing will mean no more weekends working at sea, or taking calls booking charters at all hours of the day and night.
We’ve talked about this decision for a while and as a result of those discussions, I can guarantee it will not be the end of his fishing or writing.
One of the major reasons for retiring is to spend more time fishing for himself, experimenting with new techniques, and mastering some old ones… there was even some mention of soft plastics in the estuaries! – God help the bream and jacks!
Expect to read a lot more in depth detailed articles, informative seminars and watch for DVDs that will entertain, inform and blow your fishing mind.
The end of Mono’s Sportfishing Adventures but the start of something new, something great… I know I’m looking forward to it.

Dave ><>

theclick
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
You seem to report all the bad news

Greg P
10-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Did all the green zoning down there also factor into the decision - must make it hard to plan the business future with that happening

Lucky_Phill
10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
I think Mono will be back, some time down the track, maybe with " little Monos' " as deckies.

Thanks for that Dave, and good luck to Mark.

Phill

finding_time
10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I think Mono will be back, some time down the track, maybe with " little Monos' " as deckies.

Thanks for that Dave, and good luck to Mark.

Phill

Um Phill , i dont think Mono would put his kids through the operation just to get little Mono's!!!:o :o I sure there is a law about that sort of thing, or is that only for dogs tails?;) Besides i dont think mrs Mono would be keen on the idea!!;D

Mono

Best of luck! I know how you feel with the work side of things, i'm doing something similar with my business ( scale down) to spend more time with young family, no better reason i reckon!:D

Ian

Ps. now that you have retired how about flicking me a few of your best marks!!! I swap you for about 400 packets of old soft plastics i've got;D

Nugget
10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm sure Mono will post here later tonight when he gets off the water.
I'll be talking to him live tomorrow morning on Talking Fishing - 5 - 7am, 4BC (1116am).

Dave ><>

Foxy4
10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
This one could be a bonus too us even more once he gets into the retirement mode?? Looking forward to reading the reports.

Thanks again Dave. I will be listening on the weekend as well.

maztez
10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
What can I say ,I saw the headline and nearly had a coronory ,then I read the story and all I can say is what a loss to the charter industry.The best operator on the east coast packing it in .
Mark you are a true professional and I thank you for the experience and wish you well in your retirement and have fun with ya little farm.
cheers Terry

choppa
10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
What can I say ,I saw the headline and nearly had a coronory ,then I read the story and all I can say is what a loss to the charter industry.The best operator on the east coast packing it in .
Mark you are a true professional and I thank you for the experience and wish you well in your retirement and have fun with ya little farm.
cheers Terry

terry,,, i can vouch for that,,,, same thing happened here,,,, WTF was an expression,,,,,, then chopjr gave me a stern look and asked me to stop using bad words;D ;D

onya mono,,,, looking forward to the future reports....

choppa

Tony_P
11-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Hey Mono,
Can't blame you the slightest for wanting to spend more time with your kids, but you are going to be sorely missed by many anglers. Definetly the best operator on the east coast and as a regular client of yours I am going to have a hard time finding another operator that is as consistant as you.

Cheers for all the good times and memories made on Mono's Sportfishing Adventures. I hope that at some stage in the future you will be back, but in the mean time I will look forward to reading your great articles and reports.

Cheers Again,

Tony

nigelr
11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Although I have never met the man personally, I first became aware of Mono back in the late 70's/very early 80's (from vague memory!) when he was a very talented and competitive kneeboard rider. Friends of mine from DY with similar competitive interests would wax lyrical about the man and his exploits!
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he will return better than ever, at the time of his choice, the guy is a genuine legend. Can fully appreciate his reasoning, kids grow up too damn fast, before you know it they've grown and 'fled the nest'.
Time with your wife, and your kids, while both you and they are young, is beyond price IMO. One things for sure, those days NEVER return!
Cheers Mono, and thanks for the inspiration.

BigE
12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Best wishes Mono .... never did get to win that ausfish story about mono's nick name comp & go on a charter ... nevermind see ya on the briney & looking fwd to all those :How to catch a big blue" articals & posts.

regards
BigE

mono
14-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi fellow ausfishers, just want to say thanks to all of you who have supported me over the past 7 years. A big thanks to Dave Downie for his ongoing support and advice and to Steve (ausfish) for hosting my web page and other things over the years. I will certainly miss taking anglers fishing and seeing the looks on their faces.
As Dave said earlier there are many reasons for my retiring from charter work but its definatly not the last of me and I'm sure I'll be pestering you all at some stage in the future.
I've gone into more detail in next months article in Sept BushNBeach magazine so again thanks and may your ratchet keep screamin!

Cheers
Capt Mark Mono Stewart

PS. See you at the Brisbane Boat Show.

Crestcutter
14-08-2007, 08:34 PM
No wonder ya didn't book me in ..... Christ , now what am i going to do for my birthday ritual.

How about a few marks Mono as a parting gift? Best of luck Mark, i can only agree with what has been said about the best charter operation on the east coast.

All the best.

Darryl.