PDA

View Full Version : Whats your superstition?

Tropicaltrout
10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi all

Superstitions have been around forever and many different types and for many different things but as far as fishing goes what are they? Banannas, boat names etc..

Also is there proof to back up these superstitions????

Cheers TT

DR
10-08-2007, 10:47 AM
i'm superstitious of superstitious people.....won't allow them on my boat..:P

Little grey men
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Mine is pretty goofy, but I heard from somewhere a long time ago that is is bad luck in Chinese to put your left shoe on first...Since the day I heard it I have always put the right one on first..I wish I'd never heard it. My kid's think i'm a loon when I say to them put the right one on first, just in case.
I'm not going to temp fate, and I'm not even Chinese...just very easily influenced I think.

Little grey men
10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Sorry, just read the question carefully....ie fishing related...but I do wear shoes fishing and I still put the right one on first.

xerubus
10-08-2007, 11:43 AM
My superstition is that while I'm fishing, if I throw my ciggy butt into the water I won't catch any fish. It's a superstition my old man used to have when I was young also.

I have tested the theory before (runs and hides for littering), and caught no fish. Not sure if it was because I wasn't catching fish that I threw the butt in in disgust, or whether my superstition is correct. :)

A lot of people think I'm doing the responsible litter-free thing by putting my butt in a little glass container on the boat, but it's only because I'm superstitious about it :)

juju
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I dont belive in superstition........look up my boats name "Ju Ju"

Far side
10-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I am not a superstitious or so I thought untill I was going to buy a second hand boat. Hated the name and wanted to change it then got the shivers. Dont rename a boat its bad luck I was told so I didn't buy the boat.

Its a silly thing I know but it just didn't feel right

BigE
10-08-2007, 03:17 PM
it's gotta be fishy first time out, boat tackle rods reels , if it dont catch fish the first time it goes out = straight to the back of the shed

BigE

Blackened
10-08-2007, 03:22 PM
G'day

BANANAS

It's been 4 out of 4 for me.

Dave

theclick
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
G'day

BANANAS

It's been 4 out of 4 for me.

DaveSame, I'm not usually superstitious but every time and I mean EVERYTIME there has been a banana on board, no fish were caught.

choppa
10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Mine is pretty goofy, but I heard from somewhere a long time ago that is is bad luck in Chinese to put your left shoe on first...Since the day I heard it I have always put the right one on first..I wish I'd never heard it. My kid's think i'm a loon when I say to them put the right one on first, just in case.
I'm not going to temp fate, and I'm not even Chinese...just very easily influenced I think.

its actually deemed worse if you put your right shoe on your left foot,,,, or vice versa

also bad luck if you touch the ground when getting outta bed with your left foot first,,,

and never ever board a boat with your left foot first,,,,,,,,,,

bloody chinese,,,, they just hate left feet;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa

wags on the water
10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Mine would have to be the banana thing.
3 people on board, two of us catching fish all day, the other mate not a touch. We were all using the same bait, same rigs and were all fishing the same places on the boat. We moved around a bit cause old mate wasn't catching anything. The question was asked "do you have any bananas with you?" "No!" was the reply. We kept fishing for another hour and ended up with 3 parrot, 2 snapper, 8 squire between 2 of us and ole mate nothing. Upon return to the boat ramp, old mate pulls a banana out of his little esky::) ::) ::) .....

We still can't work it out.

Cheers,

Wags

Eagle
10-08-2007, 11:15 PM
We are not superstitous whatsoever. We take bananas and every other fruit with us on the boat. Wouldn't think twice about changing the name if we had too. Couldn't care less about right foot, left shoes or whatever. Black cats on board will be put ashore only 'cos i cant stand 'em. dogs are welcome. Spiders are fresh bait if caught on board. Do we still catch fish? Sure do, and heaps of them to fill quota and freezer.
Eagle

squizzytaylor
11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I believe its VERY bad luck to be superstitious. I had the Banana theory blown many years ago when fishing the national titles in PNG, after 4 days, 3 line class records and 14 billfish, one guy actually had on board not one but a whole hand of Bananas.

GT

TheSaint
11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Bananas!!!!

Tropicaltrout
11-08-2007, 08:12 PM
yep won two trout comps with Banana's on board, can't say they are on my list?

thatp1g
11-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I always throw the first one back.

did it with two wives too before I got a decent one.

Sean
12-08-2007, 12:09 AM
my brother reckons if you satisfy yourself before your fishing trip you wont catch anything...something about the smell??????lol

catfishkid
12-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I know the banana superstition and my wife laughed at me when i told her and said she could not bring any bananas out fishing on the boat.
She did ask a good question I could not answer,where did this superstition come from?
Any answers on this would be interesting

Cheers Craig;D

Dan5
12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Apparently in the early seafaring day's the bannas that were taken on board the old tallship's and such were in timber crates and contained thing's like spider's,snake's and other vermin which ended up overrunning the ship so the captain's put a stop to it by saying bannas were bad luck on board.I also heard of another explanation that when the bannas went bad that they let off a gas (maybe methane) which caused fire's and explosion's.Also rice was another unfavourble cargo as when the hold's were full if it got wet it would expand and split the hull.Now i didn't come up with these explanation's they are just story's i've heard and i don't know if they have any truth to them what so ever.Dan............

snelly1971
12-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Only have one...Never rename a boat that is in the Water..if its on a slip or trailer...no prob...but never in the water...

squizzytaylor
13-08-2007, 09:09 AM
mmmm thats a point, if you put Bananas near other fruit it will cause them to ripen prematurely so perhaps the origin comes from there as well.

GT

Marlin_Mike
13-08-2007, 02:12 PM
No green undies on men or green panties on women.

Women wearing green panties must hand them to the skipper before climbing on board

Mike

Chas & Clarry
13-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Not really a superstition, more a scientifically proven fact...if the fishing is super slow, and you haven't had a bite for an hour...blow your nose and a huge bite will happen, but you'll miss it %$#@&!!!!!

Davemclean
14-08-2007, 03:43 AM
my superstition is not to bring my step dad with me, the fishing goes down hill when he comes along :lol:

fish_a_holic
14-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Mine is if you see a flying fish on the way out to your fishing spot you will not catch any fish. This has happened a number of times to me.

Great White
15-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I try never to refuel the boat on the day of a trip, every time I do I never catch a thing. But it may have to do with the fact I spill it all over and the boat me LOL;D

longtail
15-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't take handlines out in the boat.:-X

And i never go fishing on a Thursday , dunno why but i have never caught anything on a Thursday::)

Jason.

charleville
15-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Superstitions have been around forever and many different types and for many different things but as far as fishing goes what are they? ?

Drowning. ;D ;D ;D

Also is there proof to back up these superstitions????

I believe so. ;D ;D ;D

Why-ting
15-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Never Whistle on the water, it brings the wind up. Richieboy has proven me right on 2 occasions now.

Whytey

sandbankmagnet
16-08-2007, 08:08 PM
I never dangle my toes in when a big noah is swimming aroung. Call me supersticious.

I have been on two absolutely wrotten fishing trips when it has been revealed bananas were on board. Can't remember any good ones with bananas.

Not fishing, but left batting pad had to go on first also. Not that it did me any good.

Tangles
16-08-2007, 08:12 PM
superstitions are my superstitions, dont believe in them other than......no I wont go into that

mike

Synful
16-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Only got one, that being I have to have my "lucky fishing hat"...

Once as a teenager I couldn't find my lucky hat; I caught no fish and missed plenty of strikes. Found it a few days later and next trip I was back bringing in fish again.

Coincidence? Probably, but it was the one time that I didn't have it so... :-/

Lovey80
17-08-2007, 06:03 AM
WOMEN!!! Sorry girls but me and my father both agree on this one! When ever there is a woman on board they always seem to catch all the fish! And the funny thing about it ussually the angling part of it goes out the window! They seem to do all the things that you learn not to do when fishing and still get hooked! If i ever hear from a woman again "I was just winding it in to check my bait" I'll scream!!!!

My girl loves fishing but i'm now at the stage of show her how to do it once and she's on her own. She's good with all the knots and stuff now so it's just handling new fish that i have to explain so it's good taking her out for a day on the water.

Oh with a small cirlce of mates who we use to watch Rex hunt together on rainy days we now have a rule with the rex hunt song. last non verman fish catcher can only sing the song..... "rexy boy rexy boy you've done it again" Was getting anoying with blokes bragging so rules had to be made. A littlequirky i know but it still rubs it in all these years later.

Cheers Chris

jez and suze
17-08-2007, 05:47 PM
if i hook the boat up the night b4 a trip the wind has time to work out that i am going out......always sneak out quietly in the morning.

snelly1971
20-08-2007, 03:24 AM
This link makes for interesting reading..

Cheers Mick

www.boatnames.com.au/ceremoniesandnames.html

Tropicaltrout
20-08-2007, 08:59 PM
good stuff snelly1971 very interesting, here a couple of other i herd of when i was at sea over the years, Never whistle, as you whistle the wind, never sail on a friday, its unlucky to kill a gull or albertrose, now heres a good one a women is bad luck BUT A NAKED woman is good luck hence why there are naked figure heads on boats,A dolpin swimming along side is good luck but don't kill it its very bad luck and flowers are unlucky aboard a ship. there are many more red heads are bad luck lots of silly ones like that.

death_ship
20-08-2007, 09:41 PM
This link makes for interesting reading..

Cheers Mick

www.boatnames.com.au/ceremoniesandnames.html (http://www.boatnames.com.au/ceremoniesandnames.html)
had a bit of motor trouble with my new boat so i started to wonder, she had signs of two different names visible on the hull and i wanted to change it again, so i actually did the ceremony described, after i repainted her and got a new motor and did the ceremony i never had any more mishaps, and i actually started catching fish. I used Moet for the champers too so i reckon the fish are bonus points for using the good gear. If youve ever had a force youll know why i got a new motor, dunno if the ceremony helped but the name sounds better and it felt like the right thing to do, guess i am superstitious

tunaticer
20-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Ducks on the pond....Enuff said

Jack.

Hardb8
21-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Dunno if it's superstition?

But I dunk my hands in the water I'm about to fish.

I spose it is.::)