PDA

View Full Version : How much for 2002 Evinrude ficth 150hp

rustymarlin
09-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I am looking at upgrading my motor from a 150 evinrude ram injection 2 stroke to a four stroke just wondering what it might be worth. The motor has 70hrs on it and is in excellent condition I have had no problems with it since I bought the boat I have put 40 hrs on it since I have had it any ideas

Chimo
09-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi Rusty

One idea would be to do a cost benefit on the changeover which will be interesting from several points; what they will pay say 4 to 5 maybe and the hrs you do cf to the cost of a new say Suz at about 16K to 17 plus controls and gauges etc also to be considered the amount of fuel you will save with your low hrs and the service cost of the old at about 400 vs the new at closer to 900.

I think I know what I'd do and it wouldn't include a new anything.

Just one point of view

Cheers
Chimo

disorderly
09-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Thats good advise chimo!
rusty marlin is this the motor you asked about back in jan-feb?
If so I guess you have put those 40 hrs on in 6 months or so.
To trade in a perfectly good, near new motor for peanuts to fit an expensive to buy and maintain 4 stroke for a boat that does less than 100 hours per year sounds like you either have a fixation for 4 strokes or far too much money.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
I'd love to be in your shoeshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

but to answer your original question, I dont think you will get any where near what the motor is worth-no more than 5k(if you are really lucky).

Scott

dfox
09-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately for you mate the ficth had alot of troubles in its early developement stages and people tend to stay well clear of them on reputation alone. Yours is probably a good engine and was built after all the problems. You maybe lucky and get a good trade but i doubt it. Drive it into the ground is your best bet... foxy

fishing111
09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Just in rough figures a 150 4 stroke Zuk costs say 17K, they give you 5K for yours, that leaves 12K change over. At cruising speed you will probabbly save say 6-8 litres tops over your ficht. So for every hour at cruising speed your saving at todays fuel prices roughly $12 . It would take you a lot of years to recoup that 12K in fuel saved. 12K buys a shit load of petrol with only a 6-8 litre difference. Id do what Dfox says and run it into the ground.

Spaniard_King
09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Rusty the boys are right... drive her till she's dead...... foxy's on the $$ they had the problems fixed by 2002....better off keepin her till she has a major..could be a long time
... Not sure where you get her serviced but if you can manage to drag her to Alan Downes at Downes Marine.. hes the ficht guru and will keep you in good stead :)

Luke G
09-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Do what you want mate. You will regain the extra money when you sell the boat. If its an 02 it should be a bombardier DI. These are worth abit more as the reputation is better.

Cheers

Noelm
10-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I doubt that you will any GREAT fuel savings, there may be some, but not a lot, the Ficht is quite a fuel efficient motor already, but a new motor is indeed new and may not give you any problems (as the old one MIGHT) and I seriously doubt your boat will be worth the change over cost of the motor more than it is now, but it may be easier to sell.

Chimo
10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
It really depends on how long your going to keep it.

Even if the boat is easier to sell with a 4 s you will need to get at least another 10 or 12K to break even.

If you have spare cash to spend on a new motor why don't you buy a unit and rent it out? You will actually get some growth and not be spending $s probably for very little benefit.

Why don't you take the advice about the good ficht mechanic, make sure all the upgrades have been done and just use it and watch you real estate unit asset grow instead of you new motor depreciate!!!

Cheers
Chimo
GOM, Snr Lifestyle Consultant.