PDA

View Full Version : New Prop?

Didley
09-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi Guys
I need some advice on props. I recently bought a Quintrex 455 Topender with a Merc. 60hp 4 stroke. The motor looked like new, paint wise on the bottom end; obviously it had been freshly painted to sell. Prop has started deforming a little, so I suspect it was shaped up before painting.
If I was to replace it in the future with a stainless job, what’s the procedure, as in do you get something off the shelf, or have something made up to suit. What does it cost, approx. and is there a marked improvement in performance? Should I be thinking this way?
Thanks for the input!

Tailortaker
09-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I was told to ring solas, they are supose to be very good for stainless props and yes a ss prop should increase performance.
________
Whole foods gift cards (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/whole-foods-gift-cards/)

aussiebasser
09-08-2007, 02:38 PM
The best bet is to tow it up to solas and try a few different props in the river. It is difficult to by a prop off the counter for a tinnie. Best to try a couple of different pitches.

Reef_fisher
09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Can't see how a stainless prop of the same pitch etc could improve performance. Stainless is much heavier than alloy and if the same size would in fact make the performance marginally worse, stainless will however not be as prone to damage being tougher material. Stainless props cost almost double compared to alloy. Alloy are also cheaper to repair if you get the sometimes unavoidable damage. Just some points to ponder.

bluefin59
09-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Another thing to consider is a ding in an ally prop is just that but a hit with an stainless prop can cause gear box problems they seem ok in the right circumstances is it really worth spending so much on a stainless when a good ally will do the same job ,just a thought i would still talk to solas though ......matt

marco
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
hi , i think you would benefit from dealing with solas ( there service is great )with what you want and given your only running a 60 hp alloy would be your best bet given the above reasons .

in short alloy flexes a bit on the higher horsepower engines so stainless is the way to go on that and a 60hp isnt in that class

Spaniard_King
09-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Another thing to consider is a ding in an ally prop is just that but a hit with an stainless prop can cause gear box problems they seem ok in the right circumstances is it really worth spending so much on a stainless when a good ally will do the same job ,just a thought i would still talk to solas though ......matt
Bluefin,

You need to look at the other side of the coin.... rub an ally in the sand or mud and see how long it lasts.. true a good hit on stainles could damage a box.. but a stainless may take several hits before it actually gets damaged where as any hit on an ally will cause damage ;)

Wahoo
09-08-2007, 07:36 PM
thats right Gary, with the new hubs in the S/S props when you hit something hard enough it breaks the plastic hub inside and the prop just free spins, if that makes sence

Daz

Didley
09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the advice boys. The one I have will keep me going for quite a while I guess and when I really need a new one I'll do some research at Solas.
Thanks again

bluefin59
10-08-2007, 05:00 PM
You are right spaniard looking at both sides is truly a good option i was looking at it from a money and likely hood of damage angle espesially around marked channels and navigateable water in a true bluewater boat like your own stainless would without doubt be my prop of choice or in areas uncharted such as a lot of creeks and rivers of the north i do see where you are coming from though just your average bloke spending $600 + seems like a lot of money when you can get a ally from solas tosuit at half the price once again i do see your point .....matt