PDA

View Full Version : hobbies other than fishing

Davemclean
09-08-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm bored, and was just wondering what everyone else does for hobbies other than fishing?

I play guitar, keep snakes, fish, read, paint in watercolour

so what do you guys do?

charleville
09-08-2007, 05:29 AM
http://myskitch.com/charleville/y-20070809-052200.jpg

Well, I read a lot, write a bit, do gardening when there is water, play the euphonium about once per year, sleep more and more during the day, go walking, do a bit of handyman stuff around the house, a bit of woodworking now and then, tend to my orchids when the mood takes me, and I am about to resurrect a long but lost love of cycling. This is what I brought home this week.....27 speeds of sheer indulgence for peddling around Brisbane's hilly streets and bikeways...

http://myskitch.com/charleville/new_bike-20070809-052839.jpg

wags on the water
09-08-2007, 06:01 AM
The best way to start the day is with a good laugh......sorry Dave....just had to...

I like to belt the cover off a little white ball in thegreat outdoors.And if i don't leave now I'll be having a lot of time to do that.

Cheers,

Wags

PinHead
09-08-2007, 06:05 AM
If I am not out on the boat I am usually working..I do enjoy sitting back and watching a good movie and trying to ensure the local brewery houses keep making a profit. Other than that..not much at all.

Davemclean
09-08-2007, 06:17 AM
G'day guys

no worries Charleville and Wags, lol, note the "unfortunatley", I'm not planning on being here long hahaha

Hamish73
09-08-2007, 06:25 AM
trail bike riding in the cooler months and windsurfing in summer time for me

bushbeachboy
09-08-2007, 06:37 AM
I generally like to change nappies, sweep floors, do the shopping, then there's the washing up, the washing, feed the cats, mow the grass, wash the car....:P

blaze
09-08-2007, 07:00 AM
combination of renovating the old house and ausfish. But do enjoy travelling to parts of aus that I am yet to see.
cheers
blaze

Deestingray
09-08-2007, 07:08 AM
I have about a million hobbies......depends on the flavour of the month so to speak...

I keep fish(cichlids), have a few orchids, am into R/C boats (fast and scale), wakeboarding, play indoor cricket one night a week, scuba, a bit of golf, kitesurfing. The rest of the time is spent fishing and working.

finga
09-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Well now.
I'm not like Charlie...my bikes have a motor so this slug boys can just turn the key and go :)
I restore any old crap. Motorcicles (generally old Honda's before 1970), cars (generally 'H' series Holdens but ATM I have a '54 Daimler and a '56 Commer express van on the go with the WB 1 tonner standing in line) , trucks, tractors, rods, boats, furniture pretty well anything that old and buggered and needs saving.

I build a lot of stuff too. Whether it be for the house or boat or what-ever.
Here's the last Holden I did up for a mate and my old wagon.
Also found the before and after pictures of the Landy my dad and I did up for the beach

Foxy4
09-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I am one of the strange ones who is into Amateur Radio. I am also a Active SES member (Pine Rivers) as well as the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard (QF3 Redcliffe).

Also into power walking and bike riding (both Push and Motor).

xerubus
09-08-2007, 08:16 AM
finga.. that GTS is beautiful mate!

when I'm not fishing I'm usually busy overclocking computers, tinkering with my networks, and coding. somehow after all that I manage to fit in some time with the wife and kids ;)

sunny
09-08-2007, 08:30 AM
About a million hobbies and not enough time to be really useful at any of them:'(

When I'm, not fishing it's scuba diving, photography, cooking, bushwalking and maintaining a 300L Amazon tank that keep me entertained. Oh yeah and like Pinhead I do my best occasionally to support those poor local brewers.

bdowdy
09-08-2007, 09:01 AM
when not fishing or working i do some taxidermy,hunting, and fossicking depending on the time of year.cheers bdowdy

Tailortaker
09-08-2007, 09:02 AM
If I'm not working or fishing I'm usually supporting AUS's best brewery(the QLD one) Otherwise I'm off camping or 4wding, spending time with wife and son,watchin footy. I give up my bikes (trail and road) and my V8's due to the previously mentioned. I was also into racehorses at one point but was almost bleed dry and relised why they call it the sport for Kings. :'( I've tryed other hobbies like R/C helicopters and stuff but lost interest. (there is always a new craze in my head that quickly passes)::)
Cheers TT
________
HANDJOB MOVIES (http://www.####tube.com/categories/24/handjob/videos/1)

theoldlegend
09-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Gee Finga,

That GTS brought back some memories!! I used to have a 74 HQ 4 door, 308CI, 4bbl Rochester Quadrajet, 3.36 diff, 240HP, M20 Muncie box, all that stuff. Red and black. You could get wheelspin changing into 2nd.

You could sit it on 95kmh with just the 2 barrels working. Over 95, the other 2 barrels would cut in and you could see the fuel gauge needle move.

Now, my 3.6L Commodore puts out just as much with not much fun at all.

Ah well.

TOL

Nowhere Bob
09-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Despite myself, I have found this a really interesting thread. It reminded me of when I was researching reef aquarium set ups. I found one good 'ol boy in the states who's personal website described his hobbies as "reef keeping & collecting WW2 fighter aircraft" Damn I wish I had his discretionary budget.
Oh BTW, My hobbies are minimizing the depth of the sh1te I'm in with the minister for finances, and a banjo that I truly really suck at, but still love.

Herm
09-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree! Nice Monaro Finga!
I had an FC for a short while (until I ran out of money to spend on it :'(

When I have some spare time (which is not very often with a 3 & 5 year old and a small home business) - I enjoy cooking, sewing, renovating the house and I have just found that I really like photography! and have bought myself a DSLR but am finding it hard to find time to really get into it!

One thing that I would like to get into is - A few years ago I did the course and got my Open Water dive certificate but suffered with a bit of claustrophobia during the prac. in the ocean testing when the visibility was about a metre. Did not enjoy the experience at all :( With the water as clear as it is at the moment - I reckon I would be OK! But I hate it when you are in the boat and you can see the buggers swimming around under you but will not bite!;)

Good Question - Dave - will be interesting to read what other Ausfishers do when not fishing!;D

Cheers
Janine

BobbyJ123
09-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Astronomy (10" dob), tropical orchids (over 200), freshwater tropical fish, photography.....in any order.
Used to enjoy following a little white ball, but illness has curtailed that.

slyman
09-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Currently my hobby is packing and trying to fit everything I own into a 3mt x 4.5mt storage shed. Once I've had enough of that, I'll go back to my other hobby of trying to catch a big snap on a rubbery thing or moulded food based wiggly thing.

Before that I was right into homebrewing, myself and 3 other mates met every tuesday to "bottle" 2 fermenters worth and to make up 2 more brews. One of us came up with the recipe and bought the gear, but we all got bottles out of every brew, usually 7 each. We always made at least a 30 bottle brew so 2 extras would be put away for a while and every 3 months we'd break into the archive and have some of the older beers. When we stopped we'd made over 100 brews between us. I was also making some of my own at home, so I had homebrew falling out of everywhere. Final count I had 22 dozen of my own crown seal bottles. I even managed to pick up 2nd prize stout and 3rd prize lager at the Samford Show about 4 years ago. I haven't made any for ages though, water restrictions make it a little hard to make sure everything is clean.

Before that it was collecting old jazz records or records in general I suppose. Love the sound of a stylus tracking over a vinyl disc, plus I love the music too, people like charlie parker, charles mingus, john coltrane, brilliant musicians. Recently, if I have any money to spare at a record fair, I'll be looking for funk 45's as well as jazz records.

scrabble, cryptic crosswords

Simon

Little grey men
09-08-2007, 10:21 AM
My love of fishing is only surpassed by my love of doing artwork. I was a Book illustrator/ Cartoonist / Graphic Artist/ Animator a million years ago. Now I do it in my spare time and enjoy it much more than doing it for a crust. ( no pressure )
I guess I like it more than fishing because I can draw much better than I can fish.
I also dabble in a bit of woodwork and read too many trashy novels.

shayned
09-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh god I'm bloody envious, I need to get a life!!!!! Slyman, have you tried punching some of the old jazz n blues classics into youtube, it's amazing whats tucked away there. Tried out Robert Johnson yesterday to find a treasure trove of old slide blues guitar gems, very nice.8-)

TheSaint
09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I used to right into cars when i was younger but moved back into my love of music & became a DJ for about 8 years & finally got back into something I really enjoy & that's my fishing.. I still enjoy them all as they do crossover in my everyday life..

finga
09-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Some more pictures of that 2 door Monaro and the next 'project' the mate has lined up for me.
This one is an SS Monaro and we actually had to put it together a bit to get it on the truck. Not too bad for something that was 'supposed' to be going :-[
Then there's a purple GTS 4 door to get done :'(

OISTA
09-08-2007, 11:10 AM
4 wheel driving (my 60 is about to get chopped8-) ). I'm also into hunting with both Rifles and Bow. Mountianbiking as well as getting on the dirt bike are also favourites.

Little grey men
09-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Nice work finga...
love that colour mate.

B_E_N
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
finga,
love my oldies aswell as my mates 2 of them have nice cars, ones a 66 HR special, still stock, just dropped on its guts and never misses a beat, other mate has a 67'xr falcon i think but hes let it slide a little.

my hobbies, well i did have some but i turned 18 found the valley and now well i geuss you can call me lazy;D used to play alot of sport, all codes of football cricket, swimming but just got worn out from them. i spose now i just do things in smaller doses rather than letting it be a hobby because after a fish, a night out and recovery the weekend is gone for me:D

TheBreamReaper
09-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Good thread.... apart from fishing I like:

MUSIC:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/DSCN4566.jpg

CARS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/DSCN0141.jpg

MOTOR BIKES:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/Other002.jpg

LIZARDS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/DSCN4539.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/GexHead-1.jpg

PISTOLS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/DSCN4528.jpg

Brett1907
09-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Mostly outdoors activities that aren't too strenuous, after all I am lazy!! Unless it is recovering a bogged/stuck 4WD, scuba diving, or climbing that hill or sand dune for the ferfect shot.

Brett

theclick
09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
^^ Remind me to be careful what i say to you BreamReaper:P

Other hobbies than fishing include: Photography, drumming, trying to get my car working, gaming (bf2) to an extent, and uni (forced hobby).

TimD
09-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Before i got into fishing i raced pocket bikes and spent thousands of dollars on race engines,race pipes,european race tyres etc...It was good fun but i decided to give it away after a while cos i hated working on the bikes all the time,There was also the old cordia turbo i owned which i put thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars into and transformed it into a show car,It was featured in hot 4's and qld street car magazine,It certainly turned heads.Now i just love my fishing and i doubt ill take up any other hobbies.

cheers tim :D

TimD
09-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Another shot of 51IME

juju
09-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Woodworking for me....started off with a triton....its long gone...now have big table saw, router table, bandsaw, disc sander,planer, joiner, big lathe, so on so on...ive made most of the furniture in teh house, done the whole kitchen in solid timber.......cop a bit of flack over the lathe but...cost me $3600...so far ive made 2 bowls and a plate....:-[

charleville
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Also found the before and after pictures of the Landy my dad and I did up for the beach

Finga, I am sure impressed with the Monaro etc. Those are great achievements. But I am not half as impressed by them as I am by this effort....

http://myskitch.com/charleville/hobbies_other_than_fishing_-_australian_fishing_community_chatboards-20070809-120059.jpg

Wow! :o :o :o

charleville
09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
It was good fun but i decided to give it away after a while cos i hated working on the bikes all the time,

A familiar story. :(

Nice machines, though. :)

tiges
09-08-2007, 12:44 PM
As you can see by my avatar I surf. Used to make boards for a living but no longer, still enjoy making them for myself. My wife's a keen gardener, so I help her with that. Begrudginly I tell her, but I actually don't mind. Like golf, made a little golf hole on my property, complete with water hazard and bunker. Can take a shot at the green from 100-150m. Enjoy renovating the house, onto my 2nd one now.

Dirtysanchez
09-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Umm well having a 6 year old son takes up a heap of my time, but in between that, home renovations, home brewing, fixing up old stuff, but not in Scotty's (Finga) league. I also have been doing Taekwon Do for almost 5 years, it keeps the weight down from all that Home brew ;D
Camping and 4wd-ing, and buzzing around on my Honda CB

3rd degree
09-08-2007, 01:50 PM
When I'm not fishing,

I'm either working, preparing and or researching for the next trip or cleaning up after the last trip.

Cheers

Jim

Nowhere Bob
09-08-2007, 02:08 PM
All you bad motorcylce men should just stop putting bad ideas in my head.
I hung up my helmet 13 years ago, when my Missus was about 15 months pregnant. This chick left the Right-hand most toll booth on the gateway heading south and decided she wanted the Lytton Rd exit. I was coming out of the Left-hand booth on my brothers old chook chaser, the brake lights never blinked, her head never turned to look. She missed my front wheel by about three inches, and I was so far up over the forks it must have looked like I was trying to do a hand stand. If I'd been doing 5 clicks more I would have been smeared for sure.

I'd almost convinced myself that it was just a juvenile stage that I grew out of and blah blah blah.
These days every time I hear a Norton or BSA rumble past some deep part of me wants & wants bad.
And You buggers aint helping.

Tailortaker
09-08-2007, 02:16 PM
All you bad motorcylce men should just stop putting bad ideas in my head.

These days every time I hear a Norton or BSA rumble past some deep part of me wants & wants bad.
And You buggers aint helping.

i know what your saying mate, I sold my bikes about 2 years ago, A mate popped around the other day to show me his new GSXR600, I had to go for a ride on it but I didnt want to get off so I'm still fighting the temptations to go buy one..
________
Ferrari Tipo 500 History (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_Tipo_500)

slyman
09-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Shayned, mate havent used the net really for gathering music, I know that if I have a look at ebay, that will be the end of me financially!!;D I always prefer a hands on approach to record collecting, for years I spent afternoons after work going through the second hand vinyl stores in the city on my way home, box after box after box after box... The smell of old records is great!;D Until I'd seen all the stock they had, then I used to hang out for the days when they got new shipments in.

Then there are the cd's...

Oh yeah, I used to ride a skateboard for about 6 years after high school until I needed knee surgery, not to mention the fractured thumbs twisted ankles and missing skin over bony protuberances.

simon

kingtin
09-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Only just finding time to go back to old pursuits after recently giving up fostering. My life has more or less revolved around kids for the last 35 yrs or so............5 boys of my own, instructing cadets, Duke of Edinburghs Award, Adventure training etc. but throughout that time I always indulged in a bit of photography as well as fishing

My life is winding down a bit now and I am returning to my love of photography and music. Unfortunately, the vast majority of my portfolio was attacked by fungus and what few pictures/negs I have left are diminished by my feeble attempts at restoration. I must really make an effort to learn photoshop properly as at the moment I am like a kid with a new playstation game...............I bugger about without first reading the manual ::) Yes, I would really like to create stuff in photoshop instead of simply using it to correct colour, contrast etc. <promise to self to learn it properly>

My favourite pic (or 2) of the moment are ones I took of Jake when he was a bub...........too bad he's a teenager now ::) ;D

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/jake_pigeons_4.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/delight_2.jpg

SWANY22
09-08-2007, 04:44 PM
when im not fishing im at the mx track with my boy.he is mad for bikes .thats why ive only got a tinny as thoe mx bikes cost a lot of money especally thoes ktms.but i would not have it any other way as i love watching him race mx.

ttone
09-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Some more pictures of that 2 door Monaro and the next 'project' the mate has lined up for me.
This one is an SS Monaro and we actually had to put it together a bit to get it on the truck. Not too bad for something that was 'supposed' to be going :-[
Then there's a purple GTS 4 door to get done :'(####finga's post#####
Hey Finga, Love the Monaro. The cousin has just done one up like yours, and He fitted 19 inch mags on it!!!!!Really sets it off mate!!
Cheers ttone

Ally Jack
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Many and varied hobbies and pastimes, had to cut back on a couple but just got another dirt bike just to ride to work...well that's part of the reason I told the girlfriend...already brought the motard wheels and tyres to save the knobbys for the dirt. Don't think the body or my girlfriend will let me race again (enduro, pony express) but I'll still get out in the bush
I play touch twice a week, do a bit of gardening (bromeliads mainly), currently renovating the house, waterski in the summer, camping (usually with the waterskiing)....

When you think about it, I don't know how I find time to work..

Chas & Clarry
09-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Great to read everyones interests.

We can never understand people who say they'll be bored when they retire. We've got so many hobbies that we certainly can't do justice to them while we have to keep working, maybe there'll be enough time when we retire (doubt it!!)

Our kids (getting older and more independant now), guitar, drum, didgeridoo, drawing, watercolour painting, organic gardening (especially fruit and vegetables), slow cooking in a cobb oven we built in our yard (photo attached), friends, mosaics, leadlight, camping, chess, want to start doing blacksmithing, building things for the house/garden, cycling, music of all sorts but especially live and in small venues...on and on and on...

Anyway its all about living life to the full!!

C&C

dogsbody
09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Then there's a purple GTS 4 door to get done :'(

Love it Scotty. How long did it take you to do it?

I got a 68 Brougham that needs a bit of love. ;)

I like tinkering around in the shed i once made a bed out of old fence pailings and telegraph pole bits that hold the wire. Played a bit of indoor cricket for a few years.

Dave.

tunaticer
09-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't mind testing my skills, judgement and the weather conditons with a bit of long range shooting when I get the chance. I love "fly" shoots and the BR50 targets the most. Both unforgiving and very challenging. The "fly" target is just that a horsefly sized fly image in the middle of a target paper you set out at ranges depending on your calibre. I like the 500m most and have tried the 1000m targets from time to time. 200m fly only interests me if the conditions are suitable for my choice of gun.

Failing that i like removing heads of bunnies varminting in the granite belt highlands.

I would love to be able to afford to take up competitive clay target shooting once more but geez a second mortgage isn't what i want these days.

Jack.

GB61
09-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi all I like to ride old dirters myself. Huskies ( 84 250 xc , 85 400 wrx , 96 360 wr ) Trail ride , VMX , and do occasional club motocross ( slowly ). I like road bikes but don`t ride one , some of them are works of art. I think my latest hobby is buying fishing gear and not actually going fishing. Got to keep the economy up. cheers gaz

onerabbit
09-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Just a thought for you guys who think (thought) you had hung up your helmet,

I got my first bike Ls when I was 16 & 9 mnths & 2 days, (had to fall on a Saturday didn't it). My bum was pretty much glued to a bike seat for the next 15 odd years.
Family dramas over 13 years ago made it necessary for me to sell my pride & joy, an immaculate '79 Bonneville, just to keep our heads above water.
With that bike went my will to ride, THAT'S IT, IT'S OVER.

It took 12 years for the worms to start biting again..........................

So guess what i did,
will post a pic of my most recent Triumph, which was almost a copy of the last.

Will also post a pic of the Ducati that replaced it after I remembered what a pain in the bum the old pommy pieces of sh!t are (only a Triumph owner can say that & get away with it).

Muzz

Eagle
09-08-2007, 11:34 PM
My hobbies are gardening, building a 5 inch gauge steam loco (a Simplex) to drive around our 26 acre property, RC planes, Shooting and hunting feral pigs and cats and at the moment, I am building a recumbent trike. I love writing and write stories about German Shepherds and also a novel about a little boy who fell down a bore hole in Qld. A lot of my free time, being retired, is spent as a councelor working with people who are hurting.
Eagle

Davemclean
10-08-2007, 12:38 AM
been interesting reading everyones hobbies :D

I have just found out my old air pistol, cleaned it and also found a tin of pellets in the box, and 50 targets, so have been plugging paper

tunaticer
10-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Goodonya Dave, Keep the aim true mate.

Jack.

edleigh7
10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah Dave....I get into gardening, landscaping, rare plants, gardening forums, write music and play guitar...in between work and fishing

Ed

AutoPilot
10-08-2007, 09:36 AM
If not fishing i'm down once a month with Volunteer Marine Resque ( Jacobs Well )....Footy with my boys in winter....Summer - Mowing,cleaning the pool,4wd,play guitar,WORK .....and the big one Family Life..this one takes up a lot of time

Cheers
Scott

haggis
10-08-2007, 08:05 PM
apart from the hobbie of trying to keep the handbrake happy
I also cycle , walk , read , drink s few xxxx, like to tour this beautiful country , have just come back from a week in NZs south island (fantastic place )
football (soccer ) rugby league go the Broncos & chasing a little white ball with an oversize stick .
gheers fae haggis.........................

tailbiter
10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi all - interesting thread .

I really enjoy growing Australian native plants ,
growing , hybridizing and judging orchids ,
I like reading ,
I enjoy watching test cricket for hours on end , and playing with my 3 young grandkids.

But most of all I love fishing .

Keep catchen'em and keep well.

Steve

hbenlulu
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi,

well I do several things beside fishing (depends on the weather) : mountain biking, scuba diving, flying, kayaking. I used to do much more when I was younger and had much more spare time.

Tropicaltrout
11-08-2007, 08:30 AM
My hobbie is very basic I love fishing but the next best thing is camping, and taking photo's of the surroundings, I

Tropicaltrout
11-08-2007, 08:31 AM
My hobbie is very basic I love fishing but the next best thing is camping, and taking photo's of the surroundings, I just love the outdoors.:D

crabbie
19-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Fishing interfers with my golf!

Golf interfers with my fishing!

RayDeR
19-08-2007, 10:39 PM
G'day!

I breed Zebra finches ( and are they enthusiastic about that) and Charleville, I play the baritone regularly (wish I had a euphonium- maybe one day).

I also like messing around with timber making things when I get the time.

RayDeR

rob tranter
20-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Besides being on this computer three or more times a day,::) I keep house for the working lady, (not up to her standard of course);D . Try to play golf a couple of times a week,:( attempt to ride the Bandit a couple of times aweek,:-/ I'm also first reserve for the pub indoor cricket side, and run a Fishing Club, which is almost like working a couple of days a week?
A bit of very casual Bus driving helps me support that Q/land brewery and distillery,and I live in NSW ( No Smart Arse comments):D
Oh and I visit the pub every afternoon for a couple of hours.:o
I think thats it?
And now with the weather warming up and seeing as it's been raining for two days, I'll have to mow the bloody lawn>:(
Rob8-)

alleycat
20-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I used to hunt a lot, wild pigs, rabbits foxes ect, then went over to bowhunting, now besides fishing and hunting i love to play the stock market, although this week i have no fingernails left, subprime phooooeeey.

the gecko
20-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Im a UFC fight fan. Ultimate Fighting is full on no holds barred mixed martial arts in a cage. Gracie is the best ever. I used to box and kick box in my younger days, but I hate streetfighting, I only fight in the ring. well I used to, Im old and unfit now....

Chess, I was last rated at 1380 and have played against 3 grandmasters in tournaments. Now I play on the web in FICS.

Guitar, I have all these instruction videos of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Santana, and Im trying to learn the songs note for note. Im wondering why I set my sights so high, this is really hard to learn.

cheers
Andrew

Jeprox
20-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Herpetology, 4WDing, Camping, Photography and supporting my Beloved Broncos. Most importantly,giving my Cursed Ex Wife as wide a berth as possible!!

fishytales
20-08-2007, 08:30 PM
I too am into all things vinyl and hi fi.
I love records, and trawl through any second hand or record store looking for them when I am passing. I have trimmed my collection down recently from around 2,500 to a more managable 700 odd, but I am a little more select these days. I primarily like blues,rock, and jazz as well.

Hand in hand with my love of vinyl is my love of all things hi fi , and valve/tube gear and turntables in particular.

Slyman- Would love to chat to you one day about our shared interest in Jazz, and Coltrane, Mingus etc.

Chris

mattooty
20-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Well personallly id say taht breamreaper wins the "who has the coolest hobbies" game.
Personally im just finishing th HSC so thats pretty time consuming.
Really getting heavily into scuba and have been getting all my tickets up to go do some guiding around the GBR.
I live behind one of the largest dirt bike tracks in nsw so i hit that pretty regularly.
Turned 18 3 days ago and i can already see my bank balance going down. (spent 130$ on my first night at the pub and thats not including the drinks i got shouted =O )
Matt

Davemclean
21-08-2007, 12:01 AM
lol

my 19th birthday today, so have been indulging my other favourite hobby, sinking pint after pint of Fosters and Guiness hahaha

and I forgot to mention, that aswell as playing guitar, I also play in a heavy metal band

SCOTTYGC
21-08-2007, 10:15 AM
For those here that know me know that i like a beer or two but with 3 young boys i was finding it hard to get to the pub
So what do you build your own so i did

took me a full 12 months to plan, design and build this

Old roofing iron on the ceiling, old fence pailings on the walls , slate tiles floor , hd lcd screen with surround sound dvd to watch the footy and cricket,pool table & dart board and of course air con

I have been collecting all things to do with pubs for a few years and also a collection of old aussie stuff like rabbit traps, branding irons, hand shears and lots of other stuff
Also had to have some where to put my stubby holder collection have about 500

heres a few pics

before

SCOTTYGC
21-08-2007, 10:17 AM
after but not quite finished

SCOTTYGC
21-08-2007, 10:24 AM
a few of the inside but not quite finished

i dont have any of it finished
funny that as soon as it was finished and the fridge was cold all work stopped

Nowhere Bob
22-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Very Tidy work Scotty, if I had my own personal pub, I'd probably still get short changed & asked to leave.
:P

Mrs Ronnie H
22-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi
Hobbies include playing the occassional game of lawn bowls, all that crafty stuff us girls do, cooking, doing bits around the house and pretty much anything I get the urge to do. Last project was setting up 4' fish tank and making the cabinet for it and then made another 3' with cabinet and mostly have african cichlids in that one.

I dabble in pretty much anything that keeps me occupied.

Ronnie

manchild
22-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Working .When not working i try to do as little as possible.
George

84mick
22-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Well my latest hobbie is my 13 week old son! ;D

Cheers, Mick.

Little grey men
23-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Expensive hobbie Mick, but well worth the effort.

84mick
23-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah they sure are! I would rather him then money any day regardless of any amount. Its awesome being a father, so if there is any parents expecting a young one soon don't be worried (except if your the one giving birth!) It will be the best thing that will happen to you.

Cheers, Mick. ;)

cuzzamundi
24-08-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm with 'the gecko' - love my martials arts. great to see the ufc is starting to get the recognition it deserves. hopefully one day it'll supercede footy and all the other professional nonsense that's out there.

Cuzza

lee8sec
25-08-2007, 07:08 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/lee8sec/00000475.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/lee8sec/wsidbracketmeet270604_089-1.jpgBuild and race drag bikes. And you all throught boats where bottemless money pits::) . 2nd pic is old bike, now in QLD. 1st is new bike iam building, suzuki supercharged alky. 3rd is suzuki hayabusa, turbo. Leighhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/lee8sec/00000531.jpg

lee8sec
25-08-2007, 07:13 PM
This is the first bike. Leigh. Sorry for the doubble pic, cant work out how to deleat it. leighhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/lee8sec/wsidbracketmeet270604_089-1.jpg

Timfishin4fun
25-08-2007, 09:00 PM
G'day guys and Gal's, I used to play heaps of cricket and wasn't too bad at it but gave that up for something easier on the back. So I took up golf, started playing off 27 and now down to 6 handicap.
Also love playing with my other toy (missus) when weather allows.
We have also taken up playing 10 pin bowling which is great fun and good for a laugh.
And love to look at AUSFISH.

Sea-Dog
26-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Other hobbies include reading about fishing, sitting around and wanting to go fishing, buying stuff that is related to fishing, watching fishing DVDs. etc. etc.

84mick
29-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Woodworking for me....started off with a triton....its long gone...now have big table saw, router table, bandsaw, disc sander,planer, joiner, big lathe, so on so on...ive made most of the furniture in teh house, done the whole kitchen in solid timber.......cop a bit of flack over the lathe but...cost me $3600...so far ive made 2 bowls and a plate....:-[

juju, I have started working in a joinery shop for the past year and love it! I did a lot of wood work as a high school kid but joined the army before i finished. I wanted to join as a carpenter but they would only let me join as a infantry soldier and so on. I love working with my hands and would like to get into HB lures ::) ( I am a gunna type of person )

minno
29-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Engines, Family, Iam just picking the important ones. teaching, Understanding the human race, Getting to know my wife more, Getting along with my mother in-law, Stopping the urge to rob all the banks, And finding out the best way to get a no interest home loan.;D Just joking!.;D mmmmmmmmmmmmmm No! Its just fishing.;)

Minno

kevy
30-08-2007, 02:26 AM
i make beer, a bloody good drop, i actually drink a bit a bit of it as well, keeps me off the streets, also fish as much as possible, cheers, kevy.

insideout
30-08-2007, 03:08 AM
i have found a new hobbie, but i dont much like it, for it involves watching my wife cut sick on the savings acc while we are here in uk.........strange that i cannot find any fishing gear in Harrods or soho....

PinHead
30-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm with 'the gecko' - love my martials arts. great to see the ufc is starting to get the recognition it deserves. hopefully one day it'll supercede footy and all the other professional nonsense that's out there.

Cuzza

ufc is not a martial art..it is a street brawl in a cage...absolutely boring..seen better fights at the old Paddo pub on a Sunday afternoon.

PinHead
30-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah they sure are! I would rather him then money any day regardless of any amount. Its awesome being a father, so if there is any parents expecting a young one soon don't be worried (except if your the one giving birth!) It will be the best thing that will happen to you.

Cheers, Mick. ;)

a handsome young man Miclk..but he ain't costing you anything yet...these people that say they cannot afford to have kids..that is crap ..it is the late teens and young adult years that cost you a fortune. eg..Dad, how about a loan for that car or dad...can ya lend me a couple of hundred for some clothes etc etc etc..and even when on their 18th birthday you have flashing exit signs at the front door and all cab companies phone numbers clearly visible the buggers still don't get the hint.

84mick
30-08-2007, 07:40 PM
PinHead, lets just hope I win lotto! hehe ;)

Cheers, Mick.

mudrunner
18-08-2008, 01:17 PM
other hobbies...

bowhunting, boxing and rugby league (watching nowdays), stock market, internet, ....

philzero44
18-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Well I'm half way through painting my boat,make floats for blackfish, build model plans,And play squash.

Riv_71
18-08-2008, 02:17 PM
When im not fishing i try and go to the gym or run around the lake a few times a week and of a night i like to sit down and play online games the shooter types realy is a good stress reliever after a bad day jump in a game and blow some bad guys away.

;D

TimiBoy
18-08-2008, 02:27 PM
What a top thread! I've had plenty of hobbies over the years; cycling, cricket, Aussie Rules, rugby union, motocross have gone the way of the Dodo (too damned old). Gardening makes an occasional appearance, but I generally pay someone else to do that these days.

I always watch the mighty Adelaide Crows when they come to Brisbane.

I love watching cricket - my Sons (Redland Tigers) and the Australian team. I travel from Brissy to Adelaide (Adelaide Oval Member) each year for the Test, and I watch it at the Gabba, too. Been known to stay up all night watching, especially the Poms. I plan on watching an Australia England Test at The Oval one day.

I don't drink much any more, but I have a tidy collection of red wine.

I like computer games, and reading.

I have a huuuuuge Scalextric set - in boxes - I lost that passion.

My favourite (other than fishing) is HO scale model railroading. I've built 3 layouts, and didn't like any of them. So now downstairs is about to get a reno, and I'll have two rooms, one 3.3 * 3.3, and the other about 4*5, joined under the stairs. Will be properly lit and air conditioned, right for the job. If anyone wants to help with trains, PM me! My money for the toys, your labour to put 'em together!

Cammy
18-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Hobbies i got atm are Aquariums,Computer Games,Table Tennis and i like pool also.
A couple of years ago it was "Extreme"Scootering and Woodwork.
I'll most definatly keep with Aquariums for a long long time.

Cam

kingtin
18-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Well a year ago in this thread, I promised that I was going to knuckle down and get a bit more serious about learning Photoshop. I did, but then got waylaid by a process called HDR. You can see the results if you click on my sig.

When I've finished uploading all my pics, then I will get serious about photoshop. I'll raise this thread again in another year and ley you know how it's going ::) ;D

kev

manchild
18-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Working ,working and when i finally get some time there is always more work to do.

Tangles
18-08-2008, 09:54 PM
kev,

nice photoshop work... using your levels a bit and working in cmyk?

mike

Poodroo
18-08-2008, 10:10 PM
http://myskitch.com/charleville/y-20070809-052200.jpg

Well, I read a lot, write a bit, do gardening when there is water, play the euphonium about once per year, sleep more and more during the day, go walking, do a bit of handyman stuff around the house, a bit of woodworking now and then, tend to my orchids when the mood takes me, and I am about to resurrect a long but lost love of cycling. This is what I brought home this week.....27 speeds of sheer indulgence for peddling around Brisbane's hilly streets and bikeways...

http://myskitch.com/charleville/new_bike-20070809-052839.jpg

Nice bike Charleville. The industry I just left was basically a Bicycle Mechanic and fitness equipment techician doing repairs and assemblies for nearly alll leading retailers such as K-Mart, Target, Big W, ##### #########, and Rebel Sport. Giant bikes have always had a good reputation for quality. The one you bought home looks like it has all the good gear on it including threadless head. Nice bike to ride.

I guess I should list some of my other hobbies seeing as it is what the thread is about. ::)
I also love going offroad, golf, aquariums, aviation, computers, Mountain bike riding, and playing guitar. I also excel in driving my wife nuts but that has not yet been classified officially as a hobby but I am working on it. :P

Poodroo

Poodroo
18-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Well my latest hobbie is my 13 week old son! ;D

Cheers, Mick.

Making them is a hobby;D . Raising them is the reward. ;)

Poodroo

kingtin
18-08-2008, 10:16 PM
kev,

nice photoshop work... using your levels a bit and working in cmyk?

mike

Thanks Mike. No, I've never used layers or anything in PS other than sharpen, crop, and saturate, and I work in RGB. I use tone mapping a bit (HDR) with photomatix to rescue the pretty mediocre landscapes that I shot (in rain) whilst on holiday. HDR is a Godsend for sometimes rescuing pics.............. that is, if you see potential in something, but the weather or light is crap, you can sometimes take the shot anyway and see what you can do with it in HDR.

I really must knuckle down and learn PS though.

kev

NAGG
18-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Do you need another one ....... Lure , Fly ,Bait ..... thats 3;)

Nagg

philzero44
19-08-2008, 10:04 AM
For some reason Im getting everybodies posts on my email, Moderaters can you fix it please.

dogsbody
19-08-2008, 02:52 PM
For some reason Im getting everybodies posts on my email, Moderaters can you fix it please.

Got to Member cp,,edit options,,default thread subsciption mode,,, and choose no email notification.

Dave.

Reel
23-08-2008, 05:25 PM
well when i have some spare time from running my commercial cleaning business other than fishing which is embedded into me lol. my hobby is breeding show budgerigars, or should i say consistently trying too.

cheers

Ron

abbot_86
23-08-2008, 05:32 PM
pokies..........

MeePee_99
23-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Rugby League and Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HST
23-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I make surfboards short or long ,

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5704/dcp03352kz0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2188/dcp03128ua5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7539/dcp03173rx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mattooty
23-08-2008, 10:46 PM
HST, thought those boards looked familiar, you're over SFX yeh?

Cammy
23-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Another Hobby that i forgot to mention and i dont know why i forgot it.... Animal Preservation, have been collecting dead animals since i was 4 and putting them in jars and preserving them. At that age i guess i was fascinated with animals and still am, all up i have more than 80 specimens that i have just randomly found or someone has found/gave it to me, i have a kangaroo bout 7cm long, Baby Rabbit bout 5cm long, seahorses, skinks, lizards, snakes, hermit crabs, fish, sea urchins, birds, spiders, scorpions, yabbys, praying mantis, frogs, toads, turtles, crabs and some more but cant think of most of em right now there happily on display in my room.

Cam

siegfried
29-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Hunting with bow rifle &pistol When i was ayoung bloke I used to chase shielas but caught pigs

Vindicator
29-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm bored, and was just wondering what everyone else does for hobbies other than fishing?

Bored?!?!?!? I'll show you what bored is. Heres the scenario. One of my passions is snow skiing, well up until last week. My wife and I took our three boys aged 9, 5 and 3 down to Perisher for a week of skiing. The kids went to ski school all day and my wife was having lessons in the morning and I would go off by myself.

All was going well until Wednesday afternoon when I was skiing with Ros she says I'm going back for a rest before we pick the kids up, you're probably sick of skiing with me and going slow anyway. Hmmmmm, thinking back now I should have said, no love I absolutely love spending time with you, I'll come back with you.

But no, what did I say? I'm just going to do a couple of quick runs and I'll meet you down the bottom in about 45 minutes. WRONG THING TO SAY.

After a couple of runs at breakneck speed(there was no one else around cause conditions were pretty dismal) my ski catches a piece of ice and over I go. First stack for the week, and was going to be the last.

Ended up back at the Perisher medical centre with Xrays showing my left collarbone broken in 3 places, and them oohhing and aahhing over the pics and telling me thats going to need surgery.

One week later I'm booked in to have a plate inserted and was discharged yesterday. They tell me I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks and might get the use of my arm back in another 6 weeks after that if I do everything right.

So yes I do know what bored means, I can't even drive, so I'm housebound. I've been checking out deck winches so that at least when I get out of this sling all I'll need is a driver! At least this reply has taken me about 20 minutes to write so thats taken up a little bit of the day.

Now I wonder what the next post is about......................

Cheers
Kezza

TimiBoy
29-08-2008, 11:10 AM
LOL, that's why I have given up all other sports apart from the exercise bike, weights and situps. I'm not risking any injuries!!!

Cheers,

Tim

reidy
29-08-2008, 03:13 PM
cricket,cricket and more cricket.Still do a bit off bushwalking but usally with a 4 piece fly rod in tow these days.And above all my family.First time 41 year old father last Aug. Bloody magic thing life.
Cheers
Reidy

davez104
29-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I've allways had fish tanks, on and off for about 25 years. Dabbling in marine aquariums at the moment, corals and stuff.

Also rebuilding an older car, 75 Ford Landau for anyone into the old hardtops.

Seem to spend the rest of my spare time driving somewhere, buggered if I know why, I seem to hate it more and more the older I get. Still average about 50,000kms a year though. Not enough of those k's with the boat on behind either. Might have to do something about that.

Dave.

mudrunner
29-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Hunting with bow rifle &pistol When i was ayoung bloke I used to chase shielas but caught pigs

hehehehehehe:grin:

Breambuster33
31-08-2008, 05:08 PM
soccer, afl, cricket, motocross, wake boarding

JawstheOriginal
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Gee whiz and you sound like such a gentleman.

Fishing, reading, videogames, movies and astronomy(not astrology).

ronnien
01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
rugby league, goin to the tackle shop.

ron.

Benno1
02-09-2008, 08:00 AM
hmmmm hobbies...ive got 3 kids...2 of which are at home...soooo my hobbies are finger painting...play dough...puzzels and eating :D

Mrs Benno1

liltuffy
02-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Where do you start, my motto has always been "He who dies with the most toys, wins the game of life!!!"

Hobbies include but not in ranked order: woodworking, beekeeping, camping, offroading, scuba diving, Kids (got 3 under 8), hunting, exploring the outback, gardening, grafting fruit trees and about to embark on making biodiesel.

I'm tired already

Craig

Shnappahead
03-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I coach my nephews U13 soccer team as well as play in State League, go to the gym, enjoy camping & snorkelling. I ride motocross whenever it doesnt interfere with fishing, reading & music.

jeremy d R
03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Other hobbies i like playing halo on the xbox.

Rodman
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM

I play guitar, keep snakes, fish, read, paint in watercolour

so what do you guys do?

Mate, I fix and repair fishing reels and rods without this I would go crazy as a retiree.
Ken

BrettyJ
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Just found a new hobbie, Nitro fueled remote control monster truck, so fast and so much fun.

Willow1
14-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Just found a new hobbie, Nitro fueled remote control monster truck, so fast and so much fun.
BrettyJ, Give those Monster trucks 30% NITRO:o and watch them light up. Used to have a few Nitro trucks and cars but only fly the Radio controlled Choppers and Planes when time permits now. Other hobbies and activities I still do besides fishing, is Bow Hunting, Quad riding (Raptor 660), Fly tying. Gave up pistol shooting (IPSC) as there just wasnt enough time to do it all at once. Still may get back there again as it is a great sport and a great bunch of people as well.

JIMBO99
22-09-2008, 11:04 AM
jimbo99
gees fellas I have a million hobbies, my wife thinks them up for me, you know, washing up, fixing toasters, hanging curtains, did I mention washing up, that's one of my favourite hobbies I seem to spend a lot of time washing up, did I mention this B#$@dy computer? :angryfire: lost a hard drive and all it's contents last week, lot of swearing, new hard drive, all new programs, bit of crying. live a full life I do !!. oh yeah I write music in my spare time.:guitarist: other hobbies?? I guess so.:gorgeous:

JIMBO99
22-09-2008, 11:10 AM
liltuffy if you are going to catch fish and share them with your mates you've got to learn to keep some of the good parts for yourself mate.

mookyandlumpy
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
i coach and referee flat track all girl roller derby ,

with the wind and rain here for sturday you should come to our bout night

if you dont know what flat track roller derby is hit you tube and have a look

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/mookyandlumpy/legWEB.jpg

Matt76
12-10-2008, 06:34 AM
I have spent the last few years and loads of money on motorbikes of various makes. Did a few race meets last year and a whole load of track days at Quennsland Raceway. I still love it but dont get the time to do it as much as I would like anymore. I also run a motorbike forum that takes up a bit of time.

now that the kids are bigger I like to try and spend a bit more time wih them and do things together, hence the new boat.

stonecold
12-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Spend a bit of time doin this...keeps me mobile and fit

kingcobe
12-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Spend a bit of time doin this...keeps me mobile and fit

me too.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/Picture_009_7.jpg

josh

Wahoo
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
picked up a new hobby about 14 months ago..............doing reno's at home:-/
does this count:'(

Daz

darylive
12-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Great thread, If the weather is off I seems to be lost.

Then there is always Ausfish

stonecold
13-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Josh good to see your dedication to the art....stick with it the benifits are lifelong

maztez
13-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Did woodcraft for a long time making chess tables, tapestry frames, mirrors,bars,timber clocks really anything my turner mate and I could sell at the craft markets however after bi-lateral carpel tunnel ops and the loss of most of my hand strength I now just tinker with my tinny and go fishing with my son Brett and grandson Adam .
maybe one day I'll get back to the finer art of playing with timber .
cheers Terry

jimbo59
13-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I love motor racing,ive done a bit but way back in the eighties, heres a old photo of dick johnson and me with our old machinery.
My little capri looks tiny next to dicks xe:)

thesav
13-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Golf, golf, reading golf mags, poking around golfworld, walking golf courses, watching PGA on Austar.

darylive
17-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Well I just got a new hobby! Looking at Wahoos Avatair. ;D

It really needs to big bigger mate it would be great wall paper on the 'puter.

4x4, motor cycles, leather work carving, and tinkering in the shed, sorting stuff, emptying brown bottles of brew to make room for more brew :D. I also have hundreds of records if anyone is really interested from the 70's to CD.

I probably spend way too much time on ausfish but it frees the mind from other things and that has to be good especially for those of us who deal with stress and trauma on a daily basis.

THE SHED. they say a pic is worth words.

darylive
17-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I love motor racing,ive done a bit but way back in the eighties, heres a old photo of dick johnson and me with our old machinery.
My little capri looks tiny next to dicks xe:)

Jimbo the old falcon is OK but the CAPRI now that is truly legendary stuff!

jimbo59
17-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah there good cars,it actually was a bit of a rocket back then 380 hp 950kg 135mph thru the kink on radial tyres :o .

blueline
22-10-2008, 10:01 PM
my hobbie is doing up old fiberglass boats and than fish out of them

philzero44
23-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Blueline,I have a 12ft glass boat in good nick for sale if your interested.Phil

JB
23-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Hard finding the extra $ and time however i've always been into African Cichlids, Bodyboading (been a while .. ) , General Boating, 4wding.