PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay and fish in Fiji

reelchippy
08-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi guys would love some input from people that have holidayed and fished in fiji.
Will be taking the handbrake:female: and the kids so looking to saying in a resort so the
family can do the resort stuff while i get two maybe three days fishing ;);)
I guest i am looking for a resort close to where i can fish;D;D
One that has caught my eye is the SOFITEL FIJI RESORT AND SPA.Then the task of finding a good local fiji fishing guide would like to try and go out with native Fijian
guide rather that say the AUS OR USA owned game boats love the local style so if any one can help would be great planing to go for 11 days from around 6/12/07 cheers

GBC
08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I've stayed at the Shangri-lah before - the resort runs a 32 ft blackwatch and a couple of smaller boats.
Unfortunately the BW was broken down when I was there (I was drinking with the CAT mech they flew in from OZ to repair it). Might be worth a look.

There are also some nice resorts at Denarau ( We stayed at the Sheraton), which is the main harbour on that side of the island with a number of charter operations working from there.

If you want to do the traditional thing, just make some quiet enquiries with the staff of any resort once you get there - Anything can be arranged.

Have fun.

bdowdy
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
stayed at trend west resort on denaru island and caught fish off the beach out the front of resort on plastics ,cod ,emporer, all sorts of stuff also did adays trip out of denaru island marina with lofa charters a local fijian bloke who got us onto some bluefin trevally, gt, tuna, mackeral, and did some bottom bouncing for heap of reefys. you will have a ball over there , i took my4 kids and they swam ,fished, weaved hats and baskets, drank fresh coconut milk everyday.AWESOME ITH THE KIDS if you want time out. ps me if you want to know anything else.cheers bdowdy

cbs
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
I've been to F1J1 a couple of times. If I say one thing, it would be DO NOT STAY ON THE MAINLAND.

I can reccomend the manamucas (sp?) or yasawas island groups. Plantation island resort is good for families as I have stayed thereand there is plenty to keep you busy. Not sure about the fishing, as I was doing other things though.

make sure you dive or snorkel at least.

SgBFish
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Reelchippy.

I’ve been there twice. I stayed at the Shangri-lah and Sonasalai. I didn’t do any fishing when I was there because the resort rates to do any motorised activities are ridiculous and the blokes that did, caught nothing.

If you stay near Denaru then some day trips out of there might be worthwhile but organise yourself and take the middle men out.

We did do a day trip to some of the Manamuca’s group of islands and the place that really caught our eye was Malolo Island Resort. Have a look on Google Earth at 17.44.382s 177.08.504e. We’ll probably go back there.

Scott

ashh
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
If you decide to make the mainland your home base I can recommend The Naviti resort, as it is great for familys, loads of free activitys for the kids.
Went there for our honeymoon and got an 'ALL inclusive deal', cant remeber costs, but EVERY meal at any of the restaurants was included and unlimited local beer AND spirits when ever the bar was open.
Just be carefull on the bounty rum....lol
The resort has 3 or four of its own retaurants on its property aswell as a huge buffet style hall for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Has its own golf course tennis courts, pools.....its a big resort. Night life is great as they have there own big bar in a huge hut with nightly entertainment.....Glass bottom boat that does a few trips each day over the reef in the protected lagoon and there is a small deep sea fishing charter boat, run by some locals that can pick you up, and drop you off at the beach at the resort. They only used handlines but still got plenty of fish.
We went for a half day trip over to the Warwick hotel to have a look see, and it was dead. Not many people around at all.
We didnt go specifically for fishing but we had a great time there.
Do a google on 'The Naviti Resort' for any other information you need. ;)

Ausfish
08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Have a look at the following thread

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=74055

Greg P
08-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I've been to F1J1 a couple of times. If I say one thing, it would be DO NOT STAY ON THE MAINLAND.

I used to travel to Fiji for a week every month for business when I looked after Emperor Gold Mines. No doubt the island resorts are great and we spent a few holidays there as a family but travelling around the main island is a great way to see the real Fiji. Hire a car from Nadi and head up to places like Latouka, Ba, Tavua and Raki Raki and you will enjoy it. The people are fantastic just watch out for the cane trucks and trains. Just out a Raki Raki is the Wananavu Resort and they run 1/2 or full day charters. Did plenty of trips with the mine section managers and had a ball.

Cheers

Greg

cbruh1
09-08-2007, 09:49 AM
I have to agree with Bowdy on Trend West resort on Denaru Island, went there about 4 yrs ago for a family holiday, it was a great resort awesome pool so it would be great for the family, and as Bowdy said you can fish right from the beach.

Hope you have a great holiday over there.

Callum