PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Drum brakes

Cheech
08-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Just wondering if there is a standard process to adjust drum brakes. My old tandem was disk and had everything on the outside and was easy to see the workings and adjust. But the drums are fully enclosed so I canot see how to adjust them.

They need to be backed off a little. They are rubbing when not engaged. I have the cables backed off enough for the arm (where the cable connects to) to be back against it's keeper. So it must be the adjustment inside the drum that needs adjusting.

I think that you stick a screwdriver into a slot on the back to make the adjustment. This is just something I remember hearing years ago.

Any advice will be great.

Thanks,

Cheech

GBC
08-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I assume (tandem) that the brakes are on a trailer?

They aren't like car drums - adjustment wise.

Generally accepted method (for alko drums) = jack the axle and adjust the drums (through the rear slot) until the wheel is grabbed, then back the adjuster off 13 clicks.

Any tighter and the handbrake will grab during suspension travel.

p.s. you can buy the adjusting tool at supercheap which is easier than using a screwdriver.

c.j.

Noelm
08-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I trust that these are not on a boat trailer? and they are easy to adjust, if in doubt, take pull one wheel and brake drum so you can see what actually happens to make it easy when you adjust them.

Getout
08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I saw drum brakes on a chinese trailer under a trailerboat at a recent boatshow. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???

Cheech
09-08-2007, 09:12 AM
CJ, correct. It is a Dunbier tandem about 10 years old. Thanks for the instructions.

Noel, I thought about pulling teh drum appart, but could not see what needs to be undone. There are 4 nuts in the inner side that I assume disconnects it, but I did not want to do it without instruction.

Getwet, this is a boat trailer. I did not know it was that unusual. I have only had 2 braked trailers. One was disc and this is drum.

Getout
09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
The four bolts on the inside, hold the backing plate to the axle. Don't loosen them. You need to remove the wheel and then knock the drum off the studs from the outside. There is a fair chance that the drum will be rusted on and difficult to remove.
You might find that its older than 10 yrs. Disc brakes have been standard on boat trailers for longer than that.
Drum brakes are not the best for boat trailers. They are even worse for maintenance than disc brakes due to inability to flush them out. I hope its not a nightmare for you to fix them

Getout
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
If the shoes are binding, you'll have to back the adjuster off before trying to remove the drum

Greg P
09-08-2007, 10:58 AM
The drum MAY have a holding screw on the front - sometimes you need an impact driver to remove those poofters. Just look for a phillips head or straight counter sunk near the wheel studs - if not then try with a soft hammer evenly but you will more than likely need to back off the adjuster as the shoes/drum will be worn and they will have some sort of auto-adjusting system as the wear. Also put a wet tea towel or bigger around the drum when you are attempting removal - dont breath that crap in ;)