PDA

View Full Version : Salvinia Problems

MickS
07-08-2007, 11:29 PM
We have a natural springfed waterway on our property , on the Sunshine Coast where we have 3 acres. In recent times the main body of water has started to become choked with Salvinia. This body of water also holds native fish, turtles and platypus, as well as many water birds.I have also stocked with Silver Perch and Bass

I’m wondering anyone can advise me of the best way to control the Salvinia , and not hurt the local wildlife. To date I have been removing it by hand, but I’m losing the battle.

Your advice would be appreciated.

disorderly
07-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Mick it sounds like you have a battle ahead of you.
Once it spreads to that degree its going to be hard to get rid off.
I would be hitting it with roundup or maybe ask at your rural supply store or DPI for the best herbicide to use.
I have used roundup to kill different weeds in our dam and know of others who also have ,with no apparent harm to the fish.
I have also heard of a bug that has been used to control it quite effectively,but I think you would have to find some salvinia that contains the bug and introduce that into your own waterway and as the critter breeds it will kill out your salvinia in the least harmful manner.(I'd call DPI and talk to their resident expert).

good luck

Scott

flyfisho
08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Mick as Scott said the bug is good (its actually a weavel) there is a place in brissy where you can get it from I can find out the details if you like . I also have a large dam at my place that had a Salvinia problem its a real mission to get rid of . Unfortunatly roundup or any Glyphosate product is not enough for this weed, physical extraction is the best , The spray that is recommended is what we used on our dam , again I can't remember the name but I can find out . I was very hesitant to use it as it involves mixing Kerosene with the spray , but was assured by the manufacturer it was safe and recommended by the council and accepted by conservation groups , so we used it , it took five or so good goes to get rid of it properly and my pet Togas are still living . The Kero is designed to break the surface tension and drown the weed which happens very quickly so you can see where you have been . I would have liked to get the weavel but I was told that the weavel only likes a real hot environment and the sunshine coast is borderline , If we waited that long (for winter to stop) it would have been ridiculously thick and would have prevented all light from getting through and kill everything that lives in the dam.
I was using my environet to scoop it out, but that is a loosing battle because as you probaly know it grows at an amazing speed and is denser than it appears.
but it make excelent mulch.
You might want to contact the council about what method is best ,but once they know about it , they will be on your back to get rid of it because as you probaly know it is a noxious weed and you can get in the sh*t for it.
I have a mate who works for greening Australia and this is how I got the info as this is somthing they do in cojunction with local councils
hope that helps
Chris

MickS
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Chris

Yes, I would like to find out where I can get the weavel from.

Email recieved today

]Thank you for emailing the Department of Natural Resources and Water. [/font]
We have forwarded your enquiry to the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries who will be able to give you more information in relation to your request. They have been included in this response to your email. A representative will contact you in due course.
Regards
]Department of Natural Resources and Water

MickS
08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Next email

Caller Details
Call ID: 238833
Name: MICHAEL SMITH
Address:
Address: PALMWOODS
Post Code: 4555
Phone/s: 07 ; ; Fax:07
Email: michael@clearhearing.com.au (michael@clearhearing.com.au)
Call Date: 08/08/2007 02:34
Agent : REEDL
Call Details:
Dear Michael

Thank you for your Web enquiry. Your enquiry has been forwarded to the DPI&F Business Information Centre.

In response to your enquiry on controlling salvinia, I refer you to a fact sheet on this on the Department of Natural Resources and Water website at http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/factsheets/pdf/pest/pp12.pdf (http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/factsheets/pdf/pest/pp12.pdf)
In addition, I have referred your email to a land protection officer for a reply.

If you require further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact the DPI&F Business Information Centre by email at callweb@dpi.qld.gov.au (callweb@dpi.qld.gov.au).

DPI&F BUSINESS INFORMATION CENTRE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ashton Jacqui [mailto:Jacqui.Ashton@nrw.qld.gov.au] On Behalf Of Enquiries
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August 2007 11:54 AM
To: Michael Smith
Cc: Call Centre Email (Web)
Subject: RE: Salvinia Problem

Hi Michael

Thank you for emailing the Department of Natural Resources and Water.

We have forwarded your enquiry to the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries who will be able to give you more information in relation to your request. They have been included in this response to your email. A representative will contact you in due course.

Regards

Web Enquiries
Department of Natural Resources and Water

disorderly
08-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Sorry about the misinformation about using glyphosate,mick.I have used it successfully to kill all manner of weeds but it appears salvinia is a different kettle of fish.
Some good info in that fact sheet though!
I particularly like this quote "under optimal growth conditions salvinia can double in volume every 2 to 3 days".....holy sh!t!!!
Let us know how you get on and how the herbicide and weevil work in controlling it.

Scott

MickS
17-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Well still no contact. I wonder how long I should wait.I guess I will have to deal with this on my own.

MickS
24-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Well I've had the experts in, getting prices on mechanical removal of the Salvinia, went out this morning, and most of the Salvinia is gone, washed away in the local floods. Will now have to look at ways to stop it comming back.