PDA

View Full Version : anti-corrosion for new springs

therapy
07-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Gedday Ausfishers. I have just fitted new 5 leaf springs and hanging bolts to my trailer and while in the process also ground back the axle and many other bits on the roller arms etc. All of the areas I have ground/sanded I have painted with cold gal but was wondering if anyone could suggest something further to coat the new springs and other bits to prevent/slow down the corrosion process.Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Terry...:) :-/

Noelm
07-08-2007, 10:18 AM
oil, grease, more oil and more grease, hose off with fresh water after use, oil, grease, then replace them in 5 years!

STUIE63
07-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Terry
have a look at this thread
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=112699
Stuie

Dan5
07-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Mate some international 954 paint for the axle and lanolin grease/spray for the spring's cold gal is ok but the 954 is what they use on wharf pylon's and is good stuff and go's on thick.Dan...........

andrew&lucy
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
wrap the springs in denso tape plumbers used it for under ground pipe

Ian1
07-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Tectyl 506. Its made for the job and lasts for ages.

Cheers

Ian

tunaticer
07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Ensis fluid from Shell. The heavy grade give it a really heavy coating of this stuff and they wont rust for yrs

The last set of springs i fitted on a mates trailer i had the advantage of being able to soak the springs in a bath of ensis fluid overnight and let them dry for a week in the sun before fitting. That was at least 8 or 9 yrs ago and they are still going well. The boat gets used every month at least and matey isnt too flash with washdown procedures. The rest of the trailer certainly looks its age but the running gear i think might be swapped over to a new frame in the next yr or so.

Jack.

Reel Magic
07-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I use fish oil,

Get it from any auto or marine supplier, works a treat.

Ryan.

therapy
08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks to all respondents. That tape looks like good stuff but as the springs are already on I'll think I'll have to look at something that can be painted/sprayed on. Once again I appreciate the advice and now just have to check out availability and cost and work out which way I'll go.
Cheers all! Terry...