PDA

View Full Version : How to limit motor trim/tilt?

freddofrog
07-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi all

When my outboard is tilted right back (out) the cowling presses up against the transom and invariably cracks the oil filler cap. Is there an easy way to limit how far I can trim/tilt the motor back (ie out)? I've done this twice now :-[ and while I try and keep an eye on it sometimes things go wrong so if I could limit it somehow live would be just a little bit simplier.

I have yamaha's 2004 90hp 2stroke (power trim obviously).

ta
ff

peterbo3
07-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Freddo,
The rams keep going until they are fully extended or you take your finger off the tilt button. There is no way of adjusting how far the ram extends. Possible solution may be to put a piece of six inch foam rubber between the cowl & the transom when you are getting ready to tow. A bit basic but should work OK.

Tracker
07-08-2007, 09:37 AM
had same problem with omc v6 on a cat.just fit a limit switch .connect to up side of switch. it did the job BUT salt water give it hell.switch was fitted on a bracket on swivel bracket.

blaze
07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
one way is to put a limit switch in the power wire but this would be prone to saltwater and spray. The best way is to dismantle the ram and have a limit sleeve machined up to fit onto the ram piston rod and that will limit the travel by the lenth dictated by the sleeve.
cheers
blaze

Noelm
07-08-2007, 10:58 AM
most of the newer motors have trim travel adjustment, but older ones you need to just be careful.

Getout
07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
My ETEC has a lift limiter cam to alleviate that problem. Doesn't Yamaha have those?;D

Fish Guts
07-08-2007, 02:27 PM
pretty sure the suzukis do too

freddofrog
07-08-2007, 06:19 PM
ok, modifying the ram is probably the better option but I might give the limit switch idea some thought as I should be able to do this myself. cheers guys

ff

Spaniard_King
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
you can buy Quicksilver spacers to go inside the tilt ram, this will limit the travel mechanically. need the special tool to undo the tilt ram tho :)