PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to cook grinner?

Bobpen
06-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I have thrown lots of grinners to Dolphins (as prawn trawler discards) and they seem to love them. Dolphins must know something about fish, it is their specialty. Once you get over the fact that grinners are not pretty it would seem like a good idea to eat them. Flathead are hardly photogenic either.

tunaticer
06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
As long as you have the patience to pick out the thousand thin bones and deal with the less than firm flesh and mix it will loads of sand and charcoal you can eat them but only if you have lost your fishing lines and you are marooned on a island with nothing but a bic lighter and coconut shells. Geez they would be tasty then. Until then STOP THINKING ABOUT EATING CRAP!!!!! you are turning my guts lolz.

Jack.

Bobpen
10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I will take that as a no then?

mamu
12-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Good question, I have often thought of ways to cook these happy fish, they have a very white flesh so they cant be that bad. I did think about processing them into fish cakes mainly to blend up the bones as there would be to many to pick out one by one.
I would like to hear if any one has eaten one and what method they used to cook it.
mamu

aussie_true_blue
12-08-2007, 07:14 PM
well you place 2 rocks in a frypan with the grinner,then when the rocks are soft, throw out the grinner and eat the rocks.

cheers Bob

cameron walker
15-08-2007, 09:14 PM
They make good bait and burley. They should not be returned to the water alive.If they find our estuaries we are doomed>:( Moreton Bay is over run with the friendly fellow.

Noelm
27-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I ask this all the time, for you guys that have all the less than glowing reports, "have you actually eaten them"? or are you just saying what has been told to you for years, it was not all that long ago that Kingfish was almost unmarketable, and Salmon was Lobster Pot bait, even spanner Crabs are "fairly" new to being a Marketable proposition, in the years ago they were rubbish to be shoveled over the side of Prawn Trawlers.

bigjimg
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
ah the humble grinner perfectly shaped to fit the hopper of my berley mincer.if you are thinking of eating one you have my sympathy you poor bugger.jimbo

Snodger Sniper
20-01-2008, 06:05 PM
contrary to popular belief , grinners are very tasty small fish that you can pan fry to crispy perfection. the thin bones soften and you can chew them quite easily.
cheers,
SS

DICER
04-02-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking of smoking one - and another I'm going to pickle

DICER
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I have to find a taste panel though.....

Noelm
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
pick me, pick me.

SeaHunt
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I ask this all the time, for you guys that have all the less than glowing reports, "have you actually eaten them"? or are you just saying what has been told to you for years, it was not all that long ago that Kingfish was almost unmarketable, and Salmon was Lobster Pot bait, even spanner Crabs are "fairly" new to being a Marketable proposition, in the years ago they were rubbish to be shoveled over the side of Prawn Trawlers.

I ate one once, well a bit of one, it was disgusting, even the dog drew the line at eating the rest of it. Then again my mate kept one and ate it and said it was good. Either he is a much better cook than me or has lost his sense of taste. (I am voting for the latter.)

If dolphins love them so much how come there are so many out there?
Either they don't bother catching them for themselves or we need more dolpins in the bay. I have even caught one trolling for macs.

charleville
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20080206-8d7myw7ynwb1qxbr63ubq6xjnh.jpg

ozbizweb
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I have thrown lots of grinners to Dolphins (as prawn trawler discards) and they seem to love them. Dolphins must know something about fish, it is their specialty. Once you get over the fact that grinners are not pretty it would seem like a good idea to eat them. Flathead are hardly photogenic either.

Place one bottle of Bundy OP rum in stainless steel saucepan, add cloves and cinnamon stick and warm very slowly. Place fish in bucket beside stove. When you can smell the aroma coming from the saucepan, throw the fish away and drink the gravy.

BrewGuru
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
They are not even good bait! I have never caught a fish on a fillet of Grinner.......ever!!!! I no longer try anymore

lampuki
09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
If im having a bad day in the bayand the snaps, whiting, mackies arent on the chew...... I try and get some grinners and go shark fishing in the bay.

They are the best live shark bait!!! If you are looking to have fun in the bay, they are awsome, the bigger the better. Set the mid water for big sharks, let them sink to the bottom if you want some fun with Rays.

tinniemad
14-04-2008, 07:09 PM
grinners.......................................... ... what they taste like??????? dont think i would eat it.

uripper
14-04-2008, 08:28 PM
well you place 2 rocks in a frypan with the grinner,then when the rocks are soft, throw out the grinner and eat the rocks.

cheers Bob

Thanks for the laugh Bob - thats a pearler ;D ;D
MalM

ifishcq1
28-04-2008, 08:38 PM
The best recipe for grinner is while alive put them on an 8/0 3m under a balloon as soon as a spanno eats it reel in the spanno bleed it take it home and cook it

Yep mackerel infuzed with grinner

Fishin_Dan
07-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Caught a nice green jobfish on a grinner as a livey off Cape Moreton once... also caught snapper on them. Don't give up on em...

stevea
08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Grinner for dinner is not a winner spinner.

Its got lots of bones and full of muck

Every time you serve it, the guests will say yuk!

So here’s a tip that’s just from me,

Forget about Grinner for lunch or tea!

Steve A:)

Imfiik
09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
A time in the not too distant future....How did you go? Well for crissake don't tell any one but I nailed three stud grinners. Yer jokin ...where...how???? Mate if I told you I'd have to kill you!!!!

thirks
13-06-2008, 10:11 PM
fillet them, sun dry ,then crumble over your favorite curry-
thats whats known as bombay duck,a delicacy on the subcontinent

Mtx
13-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Best way to cook them is with a blowtorch.

Mrs Ronnie H
14-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi all

Grinner go well on the end of a pair of multi grips, give them a bit of dental work to retrieve your hooks back and drop them-- not into a PAN but straight back over the side of your boat?????

Had one swallow a set of 4x 4.0 gangs one day???

Ronnie

sid_fishes
14-06-2008, 06:09 PM
2 litres of unleaded fuel ,cooked to perfection

stevea
14-06-2008, 06:16 PM
2 litres of unleaded fuel ,cooked to perfection
Sid, would E10 work?;D

sid_fishes
15-06-2008, 02:35 PM
stevea, mate it would give it a bit of a sweet taste

Breambuster33
15-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Grinner for dinner is not a winner spinner.

Its got lots of bones and full of muck

Every time you serve it, the guests will say yuk!

So here’s a tip that’s just from me,

Forget about Grinner for lunch or tea!

Steve A:)

hahahahah lovely mate

Noelm
16-06-2008, 10:36 AM
A time in the not too distant future....How did you go? Well for crissake don't tell any one but I nailed three stud grinners. Yer jokin ...where...how???? Mate if I told you I'd have to kill you!!!!

kind of funny that you should say that I once remember when even big Sweep were looked on with about as much love as your Grinners, but now I often read the reports in the Local Paper and they mention getting a few good Sweep, my how things change! I guess in about 50 or so years our grand children will be relating stories to their kids about how Grandad used to go out in an old Petrol Powered Fibreglass Boat and caught a long forgotten Fish called a Snapper! as they clean their bag limit catch of Grinners and Pike, plus a trophy size Happy Moment.

JIMBO99
04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Jimbo99
:P well I eat grinner and it is excellent
1.Fillet the grinner
2. Skin the fillet it, is somewhat hard to skin because it breaks off
3. lay the fillet flat with the inside up and slice a strip off the top above the lateral bones
4. Slice another strip off below the lateral bone
5. Soak the fillet for ten minutes in very salty and i mean very salty water this will firm the flesh do not wash it in fresh water.
6. Mix self raising flour with a lot of salt and dip the wet fillet into the flour /salt mix and fry or deep fry the strip until it is crispy brown serve with chips and with a good mayonaise.
Of course they have bones, but if you crisp them you can eat them bones and all, and they are good chewing, try this method, you'll like them. other fish that fry well this way are whiting , garfish, in fact any of the fine fleshed fish. The heavily salted flour makes them brown and crisp. if you want you can dip the fillet in milk before you flour it but drip it dry before flouring. big grinner are better !! Small ones are a bit fiddly. jimbo99 has eaten everything in the sea (at least once).;D

flybloke
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I eat Yakkas, Butterflyed and grilled on skewers. Cant see how grinners cant be done the same.

Base; Typical Greek salad base(no oil yet) Must have Avocado.

Top: Grilled Yakka on three skewers, Once grilled spread over fillets thinly with olive paste.
Dressing; 60/30/10 XXX virgin Olive oil, Red wine Viniger, Basalmic.

Finally; Place around the dish 3cm cubes of crispy roasted Pumpkin(Jap) And sprinkle with roasted slithered Almonds or Pine seeds.

Garnish; With fine diced oregano and parsley.

Youll Never forget it;)

Dean1
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
The day I bring grinners home for a feed is the day i should give fishing away :o

sid_fishes
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
the only way i would cook them, an oxy set, flat out
cheers sid

oldboot
08-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I am certainly not one keen on bones BUT I can remember being fed kippers.....I can not believe they could have more bones than kippers.

So if you come from old blighty....smoking might be a real option.

afterall in other countries they sell both carp and talapia commercilay.

I supose there is the ultimate test......see if a small gentleman in a yellow raincoat will eat one.......those fellas will eat anything that moves....if it doesn't move they will poke it with a stick first to make sure.

cheers

Dean1
01-11-2008, 10:12 AM
the only way i would cook them, an oxy set, flat out
cheers sid ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GBC
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
You wogs are fully sick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm part wog so I can get away with it.:-X

Madaddy
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
I would like to try them myself due to the fact they are so plentiful.

A previous post mentioned lots of salt for grinners aswell as whiting and gar, ?
I would never ruin a quality whiting with any other ingredient other than a hot pan. Gar are also quite tasty as well, i generally run them over with a rolling pin to break down the bones, or butterfly them, a bit of lemon, sweet.
No one has yet properly described the taste of Grinners, if they are simply a bland tasting fish a couple spices or herbs may do the trick. I don't know myself but I am curious.
Maybe do a run around a few asian resturants and ask the question there. Them people have ways of turning anything nasty looking into something tasty. Heck they even buy jellyfish from us! or dress up sewerage polluted catfish!

Noelm
07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I reckon no one has told how they taste is because no one eats them, and they don't eat them because that's the way it has been for years!! I still reckon try them and see, don't take someones word for it, they have no more bones than any other fish, they have a backbone, rib/belly bones and fins, don't need an Xray to prove that, I have filleted some for bait, and they are a normal fish skeleton inside!

oldboot
08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
So who is going to take one for the team and cook one up.

I'm waiting for the post...." I cooked and ate a grinner it was......"

cheers

Bassmaster1
08-12-2008, 09:53 PM

What size tally-ho papers are you thinking of using??
:P

BayBruiser
07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Surely you would need to be smokin "somethin" before eatin grinner ;)

They are one fish that never swim away alive....

hahaha great thread!

tinman42
16-06-2009, 09:53 AM
How do you light them?:-/

Angla
22-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Back in a time when I was new to fishing in Qld I caught like 70 of them and thought they must be of the flathead variety. I filleted a whole pile of them like flathead and tried to deep fry them in batter but found the batter did not stick to them and they tasted like shite and were full of bones. Went and got Pizza as an alternative for the guests.

They are off my catch and keep list

Cheers
Chris

trueblue
23-06-2009, 11:19 PM
soak them in tuna oil for top up crab bait

Platitudinus
28-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Export it to Thailand and PNG and call it BASSA - you may get rich. They export rubbish to us - why not send some back
Plato