PDA

View Full Version : Stabi 0r Webster

SteveBol
06-08-2007, 06:59 PM
G’Day All,

First post on this site, here goes. I’m looking around at the moment with the intention of buying a new or good second hand aluminium boat in the next 12/18 months.

Done a bit of research so far and I’ve short listed the Stabi-Craft 509 and the Webster Twin Fisher 5.2. I’m interested in hearing from people who own either one of these boats or have any experience with them.

At the moment I’m favouring the Stabi with a 90 hp two stroke say an E-Tec or Optimax or other brand of injected motor.

What I’ve heard so far

Stabi-Craft
Good stable boat
Work area small
Soft ride
Economical boat to run

Webster Twin Fisher
Stable
Lots of work area
Needs higher hp
Can get very wet in rough conditions

As I said above I’ve only heard this about both boats and would appreciate opinions from people with first hand experience.

Cheers
Stevebol :)

Wahoo
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
dont no anything about either boat, but found this on another site, i supoise you can get all the info good or bad from this and many other fourms,
http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35814

Daz

ps no way im trying to rubbish a boat ( unless its running a yammi ;D )

flyboy
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi stevebol,

I have had my 4.9 webster for one year now It is a fantastic boat ,
you are correct they are very stable boat with huge work area. and personly I dont find them a wet boat they are the same as any boat but dont take our advise go and try them both for yourself you will know very quickly if you like them or not
chears Flyboy

Dan5
06-08-2007, 10:43 PM
G'day Steve,look i don't own either boat but i have been in a lot.My ex boss bought a stabi 609 with a 150hp 4strk yammie and mate we did a trip around Bathurst island last year and it is a top boat.Handled short sharp 25kt wind chop with ease a very stable soft and well built boat and if i had the money i would not hesitate.Dan..........

joeT
06-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm looking to buy a 509 stabi with a 90hp in the coming months, already have a quote. Quite impressed that they think its only a 5-6 week wait to order one (considering its built and shipped from NZ). Been looking for the past year and I think the stabi is a great overall package. Don't see many second hand ones available.

Let me know if you end up going the stabi and maybe we can hit the dealer up for a discount on 2.

Lovey80
07-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Mate I own a 4.3 CC and if it ever dies i'll be buying a new one strait away. I love it. IMHO its the perfect inshore(occasional offshore) boat. The 5.2 would be great considering the wider beam. I dont think i could find a 4.3 with more space. if im baiting where i can anchor up i can fish 4 easy. the 4.9 has a max of 902st or 604st so you may want to look at that if engine size becomes a hassle.

Cheers chris

Lovey80
07-08-2007, 12:14 AM
P.S. Not the easiest boat to find second hand as no one wants to get rid of them

Cheers Chris

SteveBol
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your opinions people.

Wahoo,
I think the balance problem mentioned in that link may have been the loading of the boat, I know I had to get the balance right in my old Signature or if would be a bugger to drive.

Flyboy,
Totally agree on stability almost to the point of unbeatable, I have been out in a 5.2 Webster but unfortunately the water was silky smooth and the test run did not show up the rough water handling qualities of the boat or how wet the boat might be in rough water.

By wet I don’t mean water spray coming over the front or sides in mean from the rear in the form of a fine mist almost like a sucking effect. I’ve experienced this in a mate’s cat a couple of times but only when it’s fairly rough and the front and side clears were in position.

Dan5,
Wow to be able to own a Stabi that big, you are confirming what I have already heard about these boats.

joeT,
Nothing would please me more that to be able to buy a boat in the next few months and hit the dealer for the discount, however my purchase cannot happen for another 12/18 months. Thanks for the info on the waiting time.

3 Questions:
1 How much deposit does the dealer require?
2 Have you been for a test run in relatively rough water?
3 Is the 90hp a 2 or 4 stroke and what brand?

That’s actually 4 questions but I sure you understand.

Lovey80,
You’re obviously very impressed with your rig and that’s one of the things the Webster has over the Stabi, heaps of extra fishing room, any yes they are difficult to find second hand.

stevebol :)

joeT
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
joeT,
Nothing would please me more that to be able to buy a boat in the next few months and hit the dealer for the discount, however my purchase cannot happen for another 12/18 months. Thanks for the info on the waiting time.

3 Questions:
1 How much deposit does the dealer require?
2 Have you been for a test run in relatively rough water?
3 Is the 90hp a 2 or 4 stroke and what brand?

stevebol :)

1) Dealer has asked for 10% deposit, which I think is fairly standard.
2) No test run :-X , I'm not in the country so not able to. But I have seen the boat in the flesh about this time last year and read every review I could find on it.
3) Haven't completely decided on the motor yet, will definitely be a 90hp. Leaning towards a 4 stroke Suzuki, which will have to come from another dealer. At the moment I'm just going to order the boat/trailer and the motor will be decided later.

Cheers

saurian
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Steve, 2 very different choices .
Havn't been in a stabi but admire the ali rib principal, safe as.
I've been in a 5m webster runabout, it had a 90 hp tohi on it extra fuel under the seats and custom steps up the hulls sides to allow easy entry.( GREAT IDEA)
The ride wasn't awsome , but a hell of a lot better than most 5m ali pressed boats.
It was wet, but what small boat in a seabreeze isn't.
If I was buying one it would be the 5.2, have seen one with a 115 yam 4 stroke fly by, I mean it was doing 40 odd knots.
The single engine cats are known to like a bit more weight on the rear end to help the blockout/hull's work, so put the biggest 4 stroke you can afford on it or 2 banger if that way inclined.
I wouldn't call the 5m or below an offshore boat but the 5.2 would be good on a chosen day.
I'd have to say the extra room compared to a mono is probably there best point,
Anyway best luck on your choice.
Ta

Lovey80
08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Saurian, what sort of boat is yours? It's ally isn't it? Can you give us a rundown on it...... bit of a reveiw so to speak???

Also can you please discribe the steps you spoke about on the 5m Webster you've been in?

Cheers Chris

Lovey80
08-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Sorry, Steve I went outside Mooloolaba for a quick run over to old woman Is for a quick fish yesterday but my deckie got real green and we had to come in. On the way out we had the breeze to our backs and were completely dry, the back of the transome area was a little wet but the carpet wass still fairly dry. On the way back the waves were a fair bit bigger and the wind head on. We got our heads and shoulders wet on the odd waves from spray. I think the Cuddy would stop that all together. Not many boats stay dry down the back going into the wind.
Oh and the ride I thought was great. Well for a tinnie anyway.

Cheers Chris

saurian
08-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Lovely, the steps where made by the factory and where like cut and recessed into the sides of the hull with a bit of checkerplate on the bases, big enough to get half your foot in , and they where slightly staggered to allow the user to climb the stepladder as such up the side of hull. From memory there where4/5 steps on the port side.
Very odd looking but so practical, bit like a webster .
My boat is a borger , it's 6.4m plate alloy and is a standard cat hull .
The guy that makes them , makes some real nice single engined ones as well.
Ta

SteveBol
09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Saurian
At the moment I’m one day Webster and the next day Stabi, but that’s ok I got a heap of time to decide. Thanks for your suggestions.
stevebol

saurian
09-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Steve , sounds like a normal boatie before making a purchase and once you have , whatever you decide on is the best , and you are blind to reason because it is the best..lol....
Normal boatie behaviour...lol
Take your time , test run any maybe choices and enjoy..
Ta