PDA

View Full Version : Powerwinch 912 A question about clutch etc

Chimo
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys

If you have a 912 powerwinch can you please tell me how many thrust bearings pt no 71609 key no 4 and thrust washers and thrust races do you have fitted between the Clutch nob Pt 79402 key 11 and the compound Drive Gear Assembly and clutch lining.

I'm confused as the Powerwinch 912 schematics and diagram list 2 of the thrust bearings and mine only has one thrust bearing and associated races and washers.

http://www.samallen.com.au/winch.pdf is the link

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
06-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Part 2

After some more research with more to do there are some confusing aspects about the Powerwinch 912 that I'll put on here fyi

There are many posts / threads about the Powerwinch breed and 912 712s etc
The clutch is possibly the main area of concern.

The powerwinch site (on the Sam Allen website) is confusing as it shows one thrust bearing in the exploded diag and specifies two in the parts list

Having just examined a new Powerwinch 912 and talking to Sam Allen there is one thrust bearing fitted on either side of the compound drive gear but the clutch lining is also supposed to be bonded to the drive gear. So it doesnt help if its not :'(

A search on the AF site revealed this

The winch is now fine. What I found, was the clutch plate was polished, I roughed it up, also the clutch shaft has two needle roller bearings and two thrust bearings, the grease had gone solid and didn't allow any adjustment. They were cleaned and regreased.
Thanks for the hints,
oscar

So the question remains why do Powerwich specify two thrust bearings in their parts list, show one only in the exploded view and only fit one in the 912 winches they sell? No wonder people have a few hassels with them! :(

it looks like Oscar was on the right track especially after he added some grease, high temp wheel bearing stuff; I presume.

At least the people at Sam Allen are very helpful so that has made getting this sorted much more likely.

Happy wenching

Cheers
Chimo