PDA

View Full Version : Motorguide Wireless Saltwater 55lb???

Blacksheep
06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Has anyone got any feedback on this leccy? Any reports good or bad?

Cheers
Shane

bigtez
06-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Had one for a few months now. So far it has performed flawlessly. Only complaint I have is that if you stop the motor while moving at speed and don't reduce it before turning it on again it will try and buck you out of the boat. Once you get in the habit of slowing the motor before you switch it off then it isn't a problem.

I like that you don't have to pay any extra for a quick release bracket as it is included.

Hoomooloo73
04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I've had mine for about 6 months now and done approx 30hours work either trolling or boat positioning with no problems at all. I find I use the hand control just as much as the foot control and they are both excellent controllers. I'm very happy with it and wouldn't buy anything else.

oddbudman
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, i've had mine for around 6months also - mine is the 70lb 24V version. Great unit - i do lots of salt water work in choppy seas and its still working great.

Bigtex is right about it no having a soft start - it is something to watch out for. Another thing I would like would be if the prop would not turn on if it was in the up (stowed) position - as its a bit of a safety hazard if people are climbing over the bow of the boat.

cheers,
oddbudman

Jomaweb
22-03-2008, 08:19 PM
i am considering buying the 75lb saltwater, i am not sure if it is an over kill or not but only $70 difference in the price, i guess they will both still go slow huh, also shaft length ??, the dealer has only today taken over and knows nothing about them. i have a 4.2m quintrex dory with a few mods, can someone give me some feedback on what might be best suited, also what figures should i be paying for this ? cheers.

---------------
I don't have a signature.

bigtez
22-03-2008, 08:42 PM
have a look on the Minn Kota website for how to work out what length shaft you will need. I would also be adding in the cost of a 2nd battery to the 75lb motor, that would make it over $300 differnce if you buy a quality battery as well as a charger to charge both of them equally if you want them to last. Considering the size of your boat I would think the 55lb would do the job fine and won't require the extra battery or fancy charger.

Terry

Jomaweb
23-03-2008, 12:27 PM
i have got a 110a/h AGM fitted in the boat now. How much power do these things draw ?? my i have a 40hp 4/s Yamaha, i know they do some charging, not sure of the alternator size though, will i still need a second battery ? or will that 1 be ok ? i will check out the website not for shaft length. are the motorguide a good thing ?

bigtez
23-03-2008, 04:21 PM
You should get a full days fishing out of a 110ah battery but I would make sure it is a deep cycle battery as standard batteries don't last to long when constantly being discharged and recharged.
The 75lb motorguide motor will require 2 batteries though as they run on 24volts as opposed to 12volts of a 55lb motor. It is also fairly important to keep the 2 batteries in fairly similar condition, therefore you would be looking at buying 2 new batteries as well as a quality charger.
On a 4.2m boat a 55lb will be enough, so I would spend the $70 you saved on a battery to run the electric motor alone or if the battery you have is suitable you could get a battery to run your sounder/petrol motor/lights etc.

I think that makes a little sense.

Terry

NAGG
23-03-2008, 04:57 PM
i am considering buying the 75lb saltwater, i am not sure if it is an over kill or not but only $70 difference in the price, i guess they will both still go slow huh, also shaft length ??, the dealer has only today taken over and knows nothing about them. i have a 4.2m quintrex dory with a few mods, can someone give me some feedback on what might be best suited, also what figures should i be paying for this ? cheers.

---------------
I don't have a signature.

The 55lb should be more than adequate for the Dory ...... I'd recommend the 75lber for 4.5M & above. ( as mentioned you need a second battery & a 2 outlet charger for the 24 volt system)..... that's $400-$600 more

Nagg

Jomaweb
23-03-2008, 07:31 PM
ok thanks for your help, i think i will go the 55lb one in that case, i did not realize the 75lb was 24v, the only other thing i was unsure about was the shaft length, either a 48 or 60. and also the idea of the 2 blade prop to a 3 blade. Completly new to the electric motor scene so i dont want to buy something i dont need. Thanks again

bigtez
23-03-2008, 07:56 PM
If in doubt about shaft length get the longer one, at least you can shorten it if its to long. Its a bit hard to stretch the shaft on one that is too short.

Pick yourself up a spare three blade prop while you ar there. I have just put one on my motor (first run tomorrow) and put the 2 blade prop in a tool box as a spare (along with spare wheel bearings and the tools to change it). The props also come with a spare prop pin and nut which is nice to have spare as well.

Terry

Jomaweb
23-03-2008, 09:44 PM
no problems i hope, lol, thanks for the advice, it helps in these sorts of situations. This forum is really helpfull, wish i found it years ago. Bigtez, do u have one of these electric motors ?

bigtez
24-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Sure do, I have the 55lb model. Its on a 395 AlleyCraft Shadow Mirage with extended casting platforms and 17mm form ply instead of the 15mm that comes standard. I am also running 2 trojan 110/150ah batteries (can't remember the exact rating) so it isn't exactly a lite boat but the 55lb moves it along very well even with 3 on board and full live wells.

Terry

Jomaweb
25-03-2008, 08:21 AM
yeah, it might pay me to set up an additional battery somewhere then, even if i use another isolator, just as a backup...i dont know, guess it will need some thought, i want to put in a livewell somewhere, so i have to think about that...alot of space, but not alot of space...if ya understand, i should give it a few trips and see how it preforms with 1 battery, if im having issues then worry about it. my battery is deep cycle though. Is there any other must have accessories with this ?

Jomaweb
26-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Is 2 6mm insulated cables to an anderson plug or something sufficent power to run this motor ? i have not seen the motor and/or what size wireng it needs, i hope it lives up to my expectations.

djgtom
30-03-2008, 12:16 PM
The motor comes with approx 800 mm wire with rings at one end to bolt to the battery. I cut it half way and fitted an anderson plug in the middle. Had it like this for 5 months with no problems.
This motor is tough as nails, i fish mostly at Mulwala and the murray and am always hitting stuff under the water and had nil problems.

Jomaweb
30-03-2008, 05:17 PM
in the book it says that it is recommended that any distance further then what they supply that it should be extended with 13mm wires, thats bloody huge...i got some old jumper leads that i will sacrifice for this, i need to go about 2.5 - 3m from the battery and i only got about. i am also thinking i might be better off getting a second battery, i don't know how much this thing is going to chew..i got the 3 blade machete prop, apparently it will help with speed and also cuts weed pretty effectively. well i hope i have good luck with this one.