PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs

hunge
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
was going to get a set of trim tabs for my 6.2 haines just wondering what is the best brand to suit.Was just looking at the bennett sports models. has anyone used or got a set of them

mirage
05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Have a look at the Volvo Penta QL Trim Tabs, they are great.

Getout
05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Yep, I have the small Bennetts on a 6.2m walkaround. Work well

MEGA'bite
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
yes i have bennets to on a 6mtr + they will do wonders once you sort out your balance problem.

Wahoo
05-08-2007, 06:22 PM
here ya go, bit more reading
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=114222

rat_catcher
05-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Have a look at the Volvo Penta QL Trim Tabs, they are great.
Where can I find prices for these things and who sells them in QLD?

marco
05-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Where can I find prices for these things and who sells them in QLD?

look at the volvo penta web site , there are dealers listed on there

ozscott
06-08-2007, 08:42 AM
the Bennetts are fantastic....check out the Tabman's discussion thread on thehulltruth.com - they simply cannot be beaten for customer service; its the best service I have come accross on anything. Even to Australia - I sent photos and he sent back electronically the same photos marked with the best position for the tabs. They also replace bits out of warranty frequently according to that site.

For my money I went the hydraulics....the hydraulic motors should last pretty much indefinately for me only using the boat from time to time. Its a simple system that was easy to fit on the Vagabond. I like the power and simplicity of hydraulic over worm drive electric.

Cheers

Smithy
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
If you go QLs it would be worth chasing them up through Col from Fisher Boats as well. He is afterall a sponsor.

Spaniard_King
06-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Have a look at the QLs they have a lot going for them, 5 year warranty too ;)

ozlongboarder
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on how the QL's stand up to living in salt water on a swing mooring boat?

I need to fit tabs to my 25 and like the look of the QL's just worried about durability in respect to growth/barnacles etc.

Greg P
06-08-2007, 10:21 PM
I had M80s on my old Sportfish and loved them but I have QLs on the new Fisher and the bennets don't come within a bulls roar of the QLs especially with actual operation at sea .

The control panel for the QLs is awesome. They respond quickly and are very fine with the adjustments. I mainly use them for wind heel as I dont need to push the bow down much due to the ride (thanks Col ! ;)). To correct wind heel you press the port or starboard button that indicates you are pushing the opposite side down to the wind heel direction. That setting now stays at that position even if you want to push the bow down into some chop or lift it up. In following seas you just keep pressing the bow up button and the wind heel settings come off sequentially - very sweet ! The system has auto retrac on ignition off and you dont have that blade sticking out from the back of the transom looking to cut line and the installation is very neat.

The Bennets are still a great product and I would chose them over Lencos in a heartbeat.

As smithy said Col's got em so drop him a pm for a price.

Cheers

Greg

OPTI
07-08-2007, 06:42 AM
if you want the best,have a look at dana billet tabs,there at rex marine .com,i got a set for my new 233 anodised in gold,seriously impressive,they make lenco and bennet look like cheap crap,they are big though i got the hp 1ooo which are just over 500 long.if i hadnt of got those i would go the qls.
regards opti

Greg P
07-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Opti - they are big, are you getting them recessed on the eden ?

OPTI
07-08-2007, 05:38 PM
na mate ,the bigger the better as far as im concerned;)

Ian1
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Hunge

I had a set of bennets on my last boat and they were faultless. Would by another set if I was in the market for tabs.
Whatever you get, opti's got the right idea 'the bigger the better'. If they are to small then you need to much angle on the tab to have an effect and that increases drag. (see fuel consumption).
As for responding quickly that has more to do with the hull design and installation then the tab design.

Cheers

Ian