PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota vs Motorguide

BreamMaster
05-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Hey Ausfishers

Ive been looking at a bow mount electric for the new boat and cant make any decisions of which make to go with. What do you guys think about the two brands?

Cheers

garyc
05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I have the 55lb bowmount Motor Guide unit on a 399 Stacer Proline.

I looked at the Minn Kota units and couldn't see any real benefits over the MotorGuide units. I have tried the floor mount controls but prefer to use the hand held remote. The hand held would be better if it had wrist strap so it could be worn like a watch. The unit attaches to the base plate easily and is quick and easy to lower and raise into the water. It is quiet and has plenty of power to drag my boat around, yet can operate low speeds to maintain position against tides, wind, etc.

I'm sure the Minn Kota would perform equally as well, it's personal preference and wether you want to spend the extra cash.

Regards,
Gary

marty_z
12-08-2007, 04:48 AM
I have had a Minn Kota RT55Ap for several years now and wouldn't consider any other brand on the market. The Kota is quiet and smooth and does everything I expect it too. The autopilot is fantastic and I use it everytime the Kota is in the water.

I have tried a Motorguide, but found the foot pedal bulky and hard to use, and the cable steer was so quick it could easily throw you from the boat. One catch though is almost everyone I know has had their Kota back to BLA to fix a fault, either foot pedal failure or problem with the auto pilot. Admittedly, these problems have all failed within the 3 year warranty period, and BLA have excellent service.

I am sure a MotorGuide user would be able to offer as many pros also though - seems to come down to personal opinion.

Marty

TheSaint
12-08-2007, 12:16 PM
The MK autopilot is handy in dams & bass electrics but I'm not fan cause I like cable steer & I personally feel you lose natural drift process using the autopilot plus it gets annoying with the head moving about. I've been lucky enough to use the motorguides in 54lb & tour series 80lb also the 54lb autopilot & 80lb minnkota's & found the extra power in the 80lb electric was handy in a ripping currents. The tour series digital was nicer to use all round than the 80lb MK with only better thing being the gradual power release instead getting thrown out of the boat with the motorguides but you get used to it. I own 54lb cable steer motorguide & they do have order the parts in but i've never been without my electric for more then 3-4days & mate is still waiting after 4weeks for his MK..