PDA

View Full Version : How Many Help?

oscar64
05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
With all the discussions going on in regards to the recent fish kils and the impact of the deaths on future stockings.

I am very interested to know.

How many of the posters on this site are actually ACTIVE and FINANCIAL members of a fish stocking association or group.

Before everyone gets up on there high horses, this doesn't include ticking your SIPS.

It will be interesting to see. :o

Pete

davez104
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I was, for about 6 years or so, untill I moved to central qld. My work roster now means its hard to get involved with groups, we attended a couple of meetings with the local group but then had to miss heaps because I was working. Missed the last two years fishing comps for the same reason. Once you are outside the "loop" its hard to find out about things like working bee's etc, should try harder I guess.

Dave.

mylestom
05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
With all the discussions going on in regards to the recent fish kils and the impact of the deaths on future stockings.

How many of the posters on this site are actually ACTIVE and FINANCIAL members of a fish stocking association or group.

Before everyone gets up on there high horses, this doesn't include ticking your SIPS.

Pete

Don't think that this relevant to the current discussions.

Nobody has to belong or be financial to have an interest in Fish Stocking.

A lot of people do a lot of volunteer work themselves for various charities and other worthwhile community events. Doesn't mean that their opinion is any less valuable or inciteful than those who belong to Fish Stocking Association.

That is what this Ausfish Forum is all about, bringing together all those with an interest is Fishing, in all its forms.

While sometimes the discussions or comments can become quite robust, doesn't mean because they don't belong to stocking group that they comments are discounted.

I personally enjoy, all the comments, doesn't mean that I have to agree with all of them.

Personally am not a member of one of the stocking groups in Qld but have been heavily involved in Fishing in my local area. Believe that we are all fully entitled to express our thoughts, and that does not depend on belong to Fish Stocking Association.

Also believe that Groups are doing their best in the current drought and cold weather.

But again I stress, everyone is entitled to comment and asking about their membership, both financial and activity is irrelevant.

Regards

Trevor

TIMMY 666
05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree with Trevor.

I am a member of the Caboolture Shire Fish Stocking Group (CSFSG) and have been for a few months short of a year now I think. The CSFSG stocks the Caboolture river above the weir, incuding Waraba Creek weir, and the upper Stanley River. Anyone feel free to PM me if you are interested in becoming a member.

Tim.

Fitzy
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Im currently a financial member of 2 fish stocking groups.

I will always encourge folks to get involved with their own local fishery management. For many reasons some folks simply cant attend or commit. That's fine IMHO.
However those who can & do make the commitment IMHO, are the ones who, rightly so, make the decisions as they are the ones at the meetings, raising money, creating policy, releasing the fish, learning from the associated resources & benefitting from the information available etc etc.

Timmy666, we should chat about the upper Stanley, been snooping around up there a bit lately looking at fish communities. ;)

Cheers,

fitzy..

Tropicaltrout
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I was involved in a stocking group at borumba for a while till I had a family and could not commit to it but as they grow older I will look into getting back into it and include them aswell.

Cheers TT

goddy100
05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I was very involved in the Mount Isa Fish Stocking Group (MIFSG) for about 10yrs, still am to an extent. Moved to Townsville and tried to get involved here in the Twin Cities, but not a lot seems to happen here. A lot of this would be complete lack of access to the local dam. When I get more time, will get more involved.

Goddy

Big_unit
05-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Pete

Good point Pete.

Im a member of FCFSA ( Lenthalls ) and have been involved in other aquatic based conservation groups, thoroughly enjoy doing my bit to enhance the fishery. It can be hard at times when anglers jump and down about what should & shouldnt be done in regards to the fishery, when those same people are called on to physically assist with management of that same fishery they simply make any excuse as to why they can not help out. Even worse are the people that are members but turn a blind eye when the work has to be done. They are also the ones who claim to be " doing their bit "

I dont think Pete was referring to whether or not a persons opinion is valid in a conversation / forum about a fishery. In fact Im pretty sure he just wants to know who actually gets off thier a$#e and walks the walk, after all putting in the hard yards is what gets things done.

Pete correct me if Im wrong.

Cheers
James

Big_unit
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I wonder if you asked -

How many have a good reason for not joining a stocking group ?

What kind of answer's would come back ?

Would those answers be fair dinkum and acceptable ?

Fact is if we all want our fisheries to remain viable, sustainable long term places where we can go to relax, teach / learn & enjoy then we should all act now.

Fish stocking is the one the many acceptable acts for replenishing and rejuvenating aquatic ecosystems in todays world where we are all learning that conservation is the only way to go.

Cheers
James

catch_n_cod
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
It's a fine line at times. I personally do not belong to a club at moment but am looking into ways to join. Problem for me is distance. Find it a bit tricky with most groups being 4hrs plus away. Guess there are ways around this problem and am most willing to view any suggestions anyone has. Cheers.

Hardb8
05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Pete,
I've only recently joined P.R.F.M.A. My local stocking group.I did so as I was enjoying some awsome fishing on my door step.And I thought it was time to give back where I could.

In a world of,Take Take Take,I think the least I can do is help out with what I can,Where I can.On a resource I often enjoy.

As stated above,I am green at our meetings.But I am learning alot at every one,About the massive amounts of time and corospondence needed to get through red tape,To make things happen.Not only to continue restocking,But to establish a new fishery.Every impoundment fish I now catch seems a little more special.I only now realise how special a Bass of 50+cm really is.

P.R.F.M.A. has some long standing members,Some of which are founding,And my hat truely goes off to them.Dedicated people,Who are also friendly blokes as well.

The sad thing is,When I look around the room,It suggests I am one of the few young members,And I'm 31.I hope I am still there to carry on the hard work of the founders in the future,For future generations to come.

I don't claim to be anything special.Just the thoughts of a new member to this group.

Cheers B8.;)

TinarooTriumph
05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Nobody has to belong or be financial to have an interest in Fish Stocking.

Trevor

Thats right! Well said mate!

Are we less of an Angler for not being involved? Is that what you are trying to say through the title of this thread Pete?

The hard work from these people does not go un-noticed, even though it does at times sadly enough. Everyone involved in Fish Stocking in QLD (and Australia for that matter) do a terrific job, and I myself look foward to helping out where and when I can in the coming years, where ever I end up (Location wise). Thumbs up here!

Cheers

Theo.

wrip109
06-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Ok, I am not a member of any group or club. I go fishing by myself and I like it that way. I work with people all week and fishing time is my time.

However:
If somebody needs a hand launching or getting their boat onto their trailer, I will always help.
I never drop litter(in fact I often pick up rubbish left by others)
I don't take undersize fish
I don't take more than my limit of each species
I towed a broken down boat to the ramp and missed the best fishing slot.
I give bait to those who run out.
I don't mind a chat but not when I am fishing.

I pay for my freshwater license and I tick the Somerset box. I believe this gives me as much say as anybody else in anything to do with fishing including things like using motors on Big W and making tilapia legal. I would like both of these please!

Phil
:D

oscar64
06-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Ok Guys

It appears that my question should have been put a bit better.

And YES James you are spot on.

I am not having a go at ANYONE for expressing their views and I NEVER JUDGE anyone for doing what they do, I have always welcomed anyone who wishes to puit their pioint of view, as everyone keeps saying thats what a PUBLIC forum is all about. If I dont want to get involved in a post I leave it alone.

I was just interested as to how many guys on here actuallty take part in fish stocking, apart from ticking the part on the sips. Simple ? really!

NO! I do not think anyone is less of a person or a fisherman if they dont help out.
everuyone knows some days there are never enough hours in the day to do our own stuff, let alone fish stuff.Those of us who are members , or who help out voluntarily do so because we choose to.

This post was not having a shot at anyone, I was just interested to hear form those who do help.
In regards to it NOt being relevant, well I am always interested to see those who help and those who type the hype.

Networking can be a wonderful thing, perhaps just not on a forum, hey.

In case anyone is wondering, as soon as I moved up here to live I joined the FCFSA, and am proud of the work done by ALL of the volunteers up to here, I am now looking forward to being able to have a hands on approach and keep the magnificent fishery we have growing, so that EVERYONE can enjoy it.

Pete

Big_unit
06-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok, I am not a member of any group or club. I go fishing by myself and I like it that way. I work with people all week and fishing time is my time.

However:
If somebody needs a hand launching or getting their boat onto their trailer, I will always help.

I pay for my freshwater license and I tick the Somerset box. I believe this gives me as much say as anybody else in anything to do with fishing including things like using motors on Big W and making tilapia legal. I would like both of these please!

Phil

That makes you a RESPONSIBLE angler, thats great but ask yourself -

Is this enough ?

As for making tilapia legal, are you pulling the p!ss ? if not then what are your reasons ?

Cheers
James

shayned
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Hardb8, I've been enjoying the hard work of a bunch of blokes at PRFMA for about 7 years now and finally decided it's time to put back where I can. I've got a young family and normally work 6 days a week which makes it difficult to contribute as much as I would like. Fortunately there are some tasks requiring attention which I can fit in around the schedule so I am able to contribute in my own way.

Like hb8 I'm appreciative of the long term members and what they have achieved especially when you consider some of the constraints and challenges they have faced. As an added bonus I also get to catch up with some good blokes who share the passion for fishing.

Mind you I also understand doing something like this isn't everyones cup of tea and really all you can hope for, is the people using the fishery treat it well while enjoying it.

TIMMY 666
06-08-2007, 03:58 PM

However:

Phil

What do you mean by 'making tilapia legal'? If by that you mean scrapping the 'catch, kill and dispose' law; why don't we just stock every dam in SEQ with tilapia!::)

Tim.

wrip109
06-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi BigUnit

Yes I think I am doing enough.

Tilapia? - yes I would like them made legal. Over most of the rest of the world Tilapia are a prized fish. The tasting quality is excellent and pound for pound they are better fighters than Bass.

You will never get rid of them now they are too entrenched in our waters. If they were made legal then many, including me, would target them for the sport and the tucker.

Bass are good too, but they don't even breed in our man made dams. Why spend all that money stocking, just to get fish that are not as good as Tilapia?

Look at the Tilapia farms around the world which supply the prized fish to gormet restaurants. Don't see too many Bass equivalents do you?

My opinion

Phil

mylestom
06-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi BigUnit

Tilapia? - yes I would like them made legal. Over most of the rest of the world Tilapia are a prized fish. The tasting quality is excellent and pound for pound they are better fighters than Bass.

You will never get rid of them now they are too entrenched in our waters. If they were made legal then many, including me, would target them for the sport and the tucker.

Bass are good too, but they don't even breed in our man made dams. Why spend all that money stocking, just to get fish that are not as good as Tilapia?

Look at the Tilapia farms around the world which supply the prized fish to gormet restaurants. Don't see too many Bass equivalents do you?

My opinion

Phil

In a word NO.

You really need to reconsider what you are saying.
Next thing you will be advocating Carp for all southern dams.

Not in our wildest dreams.

Think you need to do a bit of research.

Regards

Trevor

Big_unit
06-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi BigUnit

My opinion

Phil

Regarding the tilapia -

They are a feral PEST species and are capable of doing massive amounts of long term damage to NATIVE species. Look at how carp have spread and the massive amounts of damage they are doing to other species, habitats and in the big picture the entire ecosystem is suffering.

Feral pests such as foxes and rabbits were released into Australia's wilderness for much the same reasons as you would like to see tilapia released - for sport and tucker. Quite frankly that attitude has cost us a lot of money and time as it is, not to mention the irrepairable environmental damage. Various groups have had to maintain expensive land re-generation exercises to compensate damages as well as re-create native natural habitats to ensure that fewer species are not on the endangered or extinct species lists.

Native species of flora and fauna dont stand a chance against introduced species - thats why we have the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service and the Australian Customs Service to act as our border protection.

Cheers
James

TIMMY 666
06-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi BigUnit

My opinion

Phil

So let me get this straight. You consider cheap, easy, tasty fish a priority over our natural environment? :-/ :-/ Or are you simply blissfully unaware of the damage they cause? And also the potential damage they could cause if the 'catch, kill and dispose' law was scrapped and tilapia started to pop up everywhere?

Tim.

Hardb8
06-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Tilapia fight better than Bass :o ...LOL...

sooty
06-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Many years ago when stocking was in its infancy became a foundation member of one of the first groups in QLD, the Toowoomba Association. We fought long and hard, to firstly be permitted to stock local dams then the long battle to convince the local council, who controlled the dams to allow the public to fish these dams.
This was a great group and we worked hard as a team to get a great result.
I really enjoyed my years spent as a contributing member with of this great bunch of hardworking mates.

Cold weather and aging aching bones dictated a move north to Barra and Sooty country in the Teemburra, Kinchant, Eungella & Faust region.
I joined the local stocking group, spent a couple of years as an very active member attending meetings, surveys, working bee's, selling raffle tickets, building fish ways, donating prizes for kid's at family weekends away, more or less doing all I could.
Then along with a few others gave up in disgust and left the group
You see the only time the office bearers were to be seen was when there was a local newspaper reporter or TV camera about, then they would take credit for all the hard work "THEY" had put in, though they had never shoveled a bit of concrete, sold a raffle ticket or done any hard yards to achieve the accolades they unjustly claim.
Why did I lose interest?????????????

Obi _ Wan
06-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I to joined the PRFMA after i witnessed the great work the members were doing. And i must say it was great to see the Boating Access Scheme kick off. There we were, clearing brush, dodging snakes of all varities, digging holes, concreting, mowing grass, putting in two weekends a year filling the role as Duty Officer etc.
Worth every bit, the thanks we got for the facilities at the site and the joy of the fishermen returning with the show and tell of the trophy bass or yellowbelly that they had caught ,all bloody good stuff.
Of course not every one can give the time to be involved in these groups and we should understand that, however if you can spare a bit of time i am sure any of the stocking groups would welcome you with open arms.
We to have had a lot of people join and then disappear after a time, but there is nearly always a number that remain even after a very long period of time. At the PRFMA there are members and ex members that remain on the edge, but still maintain contact with the group and we know that they would come back to assist if needed.
As with most groups, you find that it is nearly always the same group of 6 or 8 that turn up for the working Bee's and we have one member, who has given so much of his time mowing the several acres that we have to look after, that when he goes home his dog bites him.
Finally if you can spare the time and have the interest, join a stocking group, you will be suprised how much you will get out of it.

And i must ask, Do Tilarpia taste better than Bass? i tried one many years ago and i must say it is the worst tasting fish that i have ever tried to eat!! a couple of mouth full was all i could handle.And their fighting qualities? better than Bass? I too do not believe that to be correct.
Cheers,
Obi_Wan

wrip109
07-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Of course it would be nice if you actually read what I said! Carp? I can't see any mention of carp in my e-mail. But because you mentioned it:- Is it legal to have the Carp-Busters competion? Is it legal to have in your possesion a truck load of dead carp - No it's not but it should be. I don't like to eat carp BUT I love to catch them, kill them and dispose of them.

Now Tilapia. Did I say stock them?

So let me get this straight. You consider cheap, easy, tasty fish a priority over our natural environment? http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif Or are you simply blissfully unaware of the damage they cause? And also the potential damage they could cause if the 'catch, kill and dispose' law was scrapped and tilapia started to pop up everywhere?

Possibly before flaming me and jumping in with both boots you should READ what I said. I WOULD LIKE THEM MADE LEGALDoes the word stocking appear here?
In WA(I think) they are trying to give one of their fish(forget which one) a reputation for good eating. They figure that if enough people target it then it will be less of a pest.
I say MAKE THE CATCHING AND POSSESSION OF TIPLAPIA LEGAL. They really are good to eat and are the best sport Of any fresh water species in SE Queensland.
Then I would be able to take home all the fish I caught in a day without having to put them in the disposal bin after carrying them for about 5 kilometers.
Instead of catch kill and dispose my opinion is Catch, kill and eat.
Or am I not allowed an opinion without it being twisted to suit what you believe?

Might I say that Tilapia are already everywhere; This is because of people just like you who can't see what the solution can be. OK so you tell me a better way of getting rid of them? Are you going to throw them on the bank? Are you going to throw them back? Are you just going to ignore the situation and let them breed and breed ?

I have an opinion so just attack me - THINK!

Phil

Tropicaltrout
12-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Geez wrip109 look at Tasmania for a exsample they have some of the most pristine waters in Australia and I fished many of them for a number of years. Now the prise two lake of my era was Lake Sorell and Lake Cresent both hom to great fish and cresent in pirticular home to monster trout through a idiot putting a gold fish as bait into the system these two lakes are now distroyed they still hold fish and through electrode fish the carp or crap as they are, are at a low but the dammage to these lakes is intence the water is like coffee the trout are exstreamly hard to catch due to no vision and the native galaxia population even falls victim to props on outboards. Mate if you want coarse fishing go to asia of england but here break their necks and turf em, if they were ment to be kept they would be native do you like toads aswell?

wrip109
12-08-2007, 12:06 PM
So if you don't like my way of getting rid of them what do you suggest - As usual you have no idea! Sure it is easy to criticise somebody else but come up with an alternative.

I will stick with my way - They are already there and unless it is legal to catch them they will never go away.

Make them legal and spread the word about their fighting abilities and there eating qualities and maybe enough people will target them and knock a big hole in the population. Is this not better than "Leave them alone and hope they go away"?

How will you get rid of them from the dam in Redlands? There are millions of tilapia in there and fishing is not allowed. Wonderful solution.

Remember I did not put them there and I don't advocate introducing them any where else; BUT now they are there, what do you suggest apart from rubbishing ideas put up by other people?

Phil

Tropicaltrout
12-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Not critisising your method, just don't agree with transporting a fish that can produce problems after they are dead ie, take it home clean it what eggs it may carry end up where the drain goes there they go a new population begins they are so hardy, even if you clean it at the lake say the drain does no go to the lake but down stream, or you diddn't clean your gear well not saying you don't just sying what if theres eggs on the gear and you have a trip where they arn't establish bang they begin. You make for a good arguement mate and have a valid opinion good to see.

wrip109
12-08-2007, 03:14 PM
ok so check out http://sweetwaterfishing.com.au/tilapia.htm

and I quote
The Mozambique Mouth-brooder as its name states carries their eggs in the female's mouth to incubate them for a 3-5 days period after which they remain there for another 10 - 14 days after hatching. Although fish that do this don't usually have many eggs they ensure a high survival rate although they can breed several times a year. Juveniles may also live for some time in the female's mouth even after she has died. I have been told that Tilapia eggs can survive for over a month high and dry up the bank or in the freezer, only to again be liberated by rising water levels.

Still want to kill and toss up the bank? No make them legal and then they can be filleted and the remains put in, the correct, provided bins.

Now toads - If a valid industry can be made out of cane toad's hide or somebody can make a decent recipe for them, then the numbers would soon drop.

Same thing. I say again, Tilapia is a beautiful fish to eat and fights like there is no tomorrow(which of course there isn't in this case) Pound for pound they leave bass as a runner up and yellow belly don't even come into the picture. (my PB for bass is 55 cms from Somerset and I have fished for them for 40 years)

A few worms, 2 kilo line, you can have the time of your life! Fill your freezer and get rid of a few more.

Phil

TIMMY 666
12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Phil,

I probably should have added a little more thought to my earlier post, sorry bout that.

I understand your viewpoint that if it were made legal to keep tilapia then more people would target them and therefore their numbers would decrease. And I do believe if the possesion of dead tilapia was legalised, that it would have an effect on their numbers in our favour. But, my concern is that there will be a few people that spoil it for the majority of us - once they discover that tilapia is a great tasting, hardy and easy-to-breed fish they'll introduce them into other dams, creeks and rivers so they have somewhere convinient to target Tilapia themselves. And to the best of my knowledge, thats the reason the DPI has the 'no take' laws concerning Tilapia.

The Mozambique Mouth-brooder as its name states carries their eggs in the female's mouth to incubate them for a 3-5 days period after which they remain there for another 10 - 14 days after hatching. Although fish that do this don't usually have many eggs they ensure a high survival rate although they can breed several times a year. Juveniles may also live for some time in the female's mouth even after she has died. I have been told that Tilapia eggs can survive for over a month high and dry up the bank or in the freezer, only to again be liberated by rising water levels.

Sorry I couldn't resist ::), but how on earth can a tropical fishes eggs survive being frozen? :-/ I'd sure like to know. :P Seriously, every cell in the egg would rupture once the water inside turns to ice and expands. I knew tilapia were tough but bloody hell!

Hmmmm. Getting a bit off-topic now ay ::) So anyway, back to....um...what were we talking about?

;)

cheers,

Tim

wrip109
12-08-2007, 06:17 PM
"But, my concern is that there will be a few people that spoil it for the majority of us - once they discover that tilapia is a great tasting, hardy and easy-to-breed fish they'll introduce them into other dams, creeks and rivers so they have somewhere convenient to target Tilapia themselves."

and that's what happened already! So what can we do about it?